By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tricky

Here is a list of all the postings Tricky has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Digital readings
22/10/2020 13:35:05

At school I was originally taught physics using CGS (centimetre gram second) with units such as erg and dyne and then we changed to MKS and this then changed to SI units so I am glad I am still using the same imperial units that I have used all my life.

Richard

Thread: 'Bad Referrer' message when trying to view the Archive.
18/10/2020 16:27:15

Neil,

It is not up to the user to change browser settings to allow this to work but the website designer should have been aware of the change to limiting referrers and made the necessary changes to allow the magazines to be viewed. I suggest your web designers read this and this and then make the necessary changes.

One reason for confusion over whether Microsoft Edge works is that the original version of Edge has recently been changed to a version based on Chromium which means it is almost identical to Google Chrome.

Richard

Thread: Awstin or Ostin
01/10/2020 20:16:32

As a Rover 2000 owner I can confirm that they do have aluminium boot lids and bonnets and, in fact, all the body panels are bolt-on.

Richard

Thread: Warco Mill - but what model??
28/08/2020 09:01:46

It looks like a Warco Major and is still current so Warco should be able to supply a manual.

See web page Warco Major

Richard

Thread: Myford S7 Cutting Barrel Shaped Cylinders
10/06/2020 16:45:44

There is a S& bed for sale on the Homeworkshop site for £100, I don't know if that would be suitable for you.

Thread: WM18 - Broken it again :(
20/02/2020 08:58:56
Posted by not done it yet on 20/02/2020 08:24:40:

In real life we measure diameters, not radii. When did you last measure a radius? What are your drills marked in? Radii, or diameters? When did you last turn a bar to a radius? So it goes on - diameters are far more useful/important than radii.

I use a radius every time a cut a curve such as mounting items on my TE boiler, reversing link machining etc, etc

It comes down to just using r^2 instead of (r^/2) ^2, which, of course, simplifies to D^2/4.?????

Edited By Tricky on 20/02/2020 09:02:18

Thread: Old Computers - why do people bother
07/02/2020 09:46:24
Posted by Nick Clarke 3 on 06/02/2020 16:09:31:

All NT based systems from NT/4 onwards (Win 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 10) were on CD only although sometimes a floppy was required to load drivers before installation could start.

That is all very well if there is an operating system running and the CD can boot. This was not always the case with CD drives. If it was an empty machine with a non bootable CD you created 6 Boot Disks using a routine provided by Microsoft and used those to make the CD readable to load the rest of the OS.

Making XP install floppies

The system requirements for All NT systems from NT 4 onwards included a CD drive as the OS was supplied on a CD. Most PC bios support boot from CD so there is no need to use floppies to install on a clean PC. There are other ways for installing the OS but these mainly apply to organisations with a large number of PCs. See Deployment here,

Apologies for the bold text, nothing personal, it is only to make it stand out when responding to stuff in the indent.

My original post was trying to show the growth in size of the MS operating systems rather than be pedantic as to how you could load them. Certainly from Vista onwards a DVD drive was required if loading from optical media.

As an aside, when I was working at the Coal Boards Computer HQ in Cannock a friend of mine developed a system called Planning Information and Scheduling System with Optional Forecasting Features which was actually a good description of the system but management did not spot the acronym.

Richard

06/02/2020 12:52:38
Posted by Nick Clarke 3 on 06/02/2020 10:39:31:
Posted by Danny M2Z on 06/02/2020 08:47:12:

.........I wish that a modern microprocessor had as much access to the core and registers,

The micro computer world has moved away from that with CP/M, Unix and MsDos/Windows from the 1960s onwards.

Once you accept the concept of an operating system you then cannot access the processor as it would mean that your programs were no longer processor independent and multi threading would become difficult, if not impossible.

If programmers took advantage of this opportunity (and many would IMHO) you could be in the nightmare scenario of many, many different versions of programs for different hardware setups, and needing to pay for a new one when anything changed. A program that only worked on certain versions of Intel processor, Last years Apple devices and not on any AMD chip except one version that is not the one fitted to your particular laptop? No thank you! - Having an OS may be bloated, but it is practical.

If you want direct access I believe PICs and similar devices will allow this, and many of these devices of today are in fact far in advance of the processors of 40 years ago - When you get to computers (laptop, Apple, *nix or Windows) it is just a different universe.

Mind you I am glad I am not the only one still alive and able to remember 6502, 6809 and Z80 chips - even if not the code!

Take care

Nick

I do not understand your logic here. As an OS such as Windows accesses the hardware you are saying you need a different OS for each version of Intel Chip. This is incorrect if you are talking about IBM PC architecture systems which were all developed from the Intel 8086/8088 chipset. Subsequent processors have added instructions and extended the addressing range but they belong to the same family. MS-DOS did not stop you accessing the processor.

User programs now run in a protected mode and are unable to access all the memory to stop them crashing the whole system if they fail. I first encountered this on IBM/370 mainframes where each program was given a virtual memory of 16MB which was the maximum size of partition and this included the OS!

In terms of operating systems on Floppy disks you are mistaken. MS-DOS was on 3 x 31/2" floppies, Windows 3.1 on 6, Windows for Workgroups 8 and Windows 95 0n 13 (I think, I can't find my copies). All NT based systems from NT/4 onwards (Win 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 10) were on CD only although sometimes a floppy was required to load drivers before installation could start.

Richard

Thread: Ink jet printer woes
31/01/2020 16:26:27

Nick, If you bought the TI printer only 22 years ago then they probably were not Sharp manufactured as I don't think the Sharp models were still in production then. Also they did not have a separate waste toner bottle, just a 15,000 toner/developer cartridge and 30,000 drum.

From about 1996 Sharp concentrated on changing from analogue copiers to digital copiers and used these as a basis for their printers. One of my responsibilities was to help convert the analogue copier sales force into selling digital copier/printer/scanners - not an easy job!

Richard

31/01/2020 13:27:20
Posted by Nick Clarke 3 on 31/01/2020 10:54:49:

Not new I'm afraid even 20 years ago Texas laser printers used similar devices to 'turn off' drums, waste toner bottles and toners - as did the clones (Can't remember 100% but perhaps QMS and Sharp??) These were influenced by time and not amount of resource used.

I do not believe this is correct for two reasons. One because I used to work for Sharp in the marketing department for these printers and two because my JX9685 printer is still working after over 25 years.

In fact the Texas Instrument printers were actually made by Sharp with about 10 TI to 1 of Sharp.

After having 3 ink-jet printers over the last 10 years I have now bought a Lexmark MC3224dwe colour laser MFP which is much more suited to my occasional printer use.

Richard

i

Thread: Beaten and robbed.
27/01/2020 08:54:26
Posted by not done it yet on 27/01/2020 08:12:21:

I read the first sentence (possibly the only full stop in it?). I suppose at least he told us it would have been boring, so easily avoided at the first line.

I lost count of the number of full stops as, in fact, the sentences are very short which is much better than some of the rambles that go on here. I thought limited attention span was a fault of today's youth smiley

Thread: Too ambitious or achievable?
18/01/2020 10:57:56

Jan Ridders designed a very simple 4-stroke engine which is easy to make and which was serialised in Model Engineer. Details are on his web site here.

I can confirm it goes pop pop very satisfactorily!

Richard

Thread: Same old quandry
03/11/2019 16:48:11

Ron, only the short table version is MT3 the others have an R8 option.

Thread: Fly wheel size
08/10/2019 18:05:25

M-Machine do black EN3 up to 260mm and 185mm dia is £12.60 per inch

Thread: Metrication of models
06/10/2019 15:28:52
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 06/10/2019 15:03:27:
Posted by FMES on 06/10/2019 12:25:01:

This topic never ceases to amaze me at the amount of discussion it generates.

In addition the majority of older and still in comission American ships and aircraft,,still require a knowledge of the imperial system.

Regards.

Which ten years ago caused serious delays when Boeing was developing the 787 airliner. Not funny when you design an airliner in the US while relying on keeping the price competitive by having much of it made more economically abroad and it turns out the rest of the world doesn't understand US Customary units! A lot of expensive mistakes were made...

I wonder how many British engineering firms bit the dust due to upsetting export customers by failing to metricate? Unfortunately, most customers interested in buying British machines care absolutely nothing about heritage units like inches or Whitworth's genius (Sir Joseph died in 1887). What they do want is affordable equipment that's easy to maintain. Like it or not metric equipment has the edge in metric countries.

Teaching students to work from imperial drawings in an afternoon glides over Imperial's secret shame. On their own inches, pounds, miles, and pints etc are familiar and even cuddly. Perhaps that's part of the problem. The trouble starts when Imperial is applied to physics and those incoherent Imperial units have to work together. The full awfulness of the Foot-Pound-Seconds system doesn't really bite until serious engineering is afoot which rarely happens in the average home workshop. Imperial measure may seem friendly to chaps skimming the surface, but it's pure treacle for anyone doing proper engineering rather than knocking stuff up from someone else's design.

No-one should be allowed to support imperial until they can explain Slugs, Biot-seconds, Candles, the various definitions of 'pound', and all those strange conversion numbers that pop up in formulae only because Imperial is internally inconsistent. Definitely not allowed to lobby in favour until the difference between FPS and Technical FPS is understood, and a working knowledge of British vs USA FPS would be an advantage. Man-in-pub and woodworkers need not apply.

Anyone who thinks Imperial does a good job has only skimmed the surface. Metre-Kilogram-Seconds is more suitable because it's simpler. Apart from backward compatibility, is there a logical reason for sticking with Imperial measure in future? I can't think of one.

Dave

Does that mean nobody should use metric unless they understand ALL the metric units that exist?

I was taught cgs at school but I can work in metric or imperial but I do not know all the units, only those I need.

Richard

Thread: Upgrading to fibre optic broadband
31/07/2019 08:01:29

If you are that close to your exchange are you sure you are not on an Exchange Only line, i.e. direct to the exchange without going through a cabinet? If so you will not be able to upgrade to fibre.

Thread: Another scam
29/07/2019 08:35:14

Michael,

To be clear, BT Web Protect is a real BT product (see here ) but of course it does not mean that your email was actually from BT.

Richard

Thread: A visit to Manchester Sci and Eng Museum
29/04/2019 09:01:51
Posted by duncan webster on 28/04/2019 14:26:10:

They were only manufactured in thousands after US makers were given the task and made them to tighter tolerances so you didn't need all that hand fitting. read Hooker's excellent autobiography 'Not much of an engineer'

Edited By duncan webster on 28/04/2019 14:26:41

Not true, according to Wikipedia 160,000 built in the UK and 55,000 Packard versions in the USA and production in the USA did not start until late 1941.

Thread: Stainless Steel Metric Fasteners
23/04/2019 14:50:39

I've found GWR Fasteners are good quality and reasonable prices and they have expanded their range recently - GWR

Richard

Thread: Digital Subscriptions
04/03/2019 09:32:48

Jason,

Your screen shot is from the Pocketmags web page reader, NOT the offline viewer where there is no means of printing which seems to destroy the whole point of using the Pocketmags app to store the magazines locally!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest