By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Scott

Here is a list of all the postings Scott has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Maybe there is still hope
22/03/2013 19:07:21

There are many days when I'd completely agree with Ian (Slotdriller) but ranting aside it's obvious there are good lads out there who are interested in engineering and have an adequate level of ability to be decent engineers. In my case I suffer from poor selection because unfortunately I don't get to choose who they send me. I'm a ship's Master and some of the Engineer Cadets we have been sent in the last few years have been truly pitiful. Unfortunately the bad ones outnumber the good ones by a considerable margin. Few people want to come to see any more and many young people have never heard of a career as a marine engineer. Many of the ones I see passing through don't seem to have any fundamental interest in engineering and neither they nor I really know why they are here. The Chief Engineer shakes his head in despair at most of them. I don't think we've had one yet that has changed a plug in his life but I suppose you could blame the moulded plug thing for that. The Chief always interrogates them about what exposure they've had to engineering so far. One of them had put the chain back on his pushbike! These aren't 16 year olds either. Most of them are 19/20/21 and have frequently already been at college doing some pointless course.
I'm quite sure that if the Chief and I were selecting Cadets we'd manage to find excellent candidates who have a genuine interest in marine engineering. We know there out there because we've caught a glimpse of a few!

Thread: collimator
21/03/2013 20:35:13

"Checking alignment of binoculars is usually performed by professionals with the help of a 'collimator' "

Er, no, it's usually performed by holding them backwards at arm's length and looking at the horizon. If the horizon in each lens doesn't line up they're misaligned and you chuck them and get a new pair! smiley ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. CTRL+F5 reloads the whole page.

Maybe it depends on what type of professionals right enough wink ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. CTRL+F5 reloads the whole page.

Interesting article though.

Scott (30 years at sea)

Thread: turned finish
11/03/2013 10:14:25

David

I had marks exactly like that on my C3 and it turned out to be because the stub shaft of the self-act gear was out of true. It wasclimbing up the gear teeth and then dropping back again as the carriage moved along. I had to bore and bush the apron to fit it in straight . That's clearly not the case with yours if it has just started happening but if, as Gray has suggested, the pitch of those marks corresponds with the pitch of the leadscrew I reckon a good clean of the leadscrew and the apron gears would bring an improvement (and check that the carriage gears are in the correct plane and their shafts are not bent or out of line).

Good luck

Scott

Thread: Something a little different from the day to day ME
11/02/2013 18:51:34

Memories indeed! I've only been at sea for 30 years so a bit young for Doxfords but big slow speed engines of that size were what I remember. Smaller ships nowadays and the main engines are about the same size as the generator engines on big ships i.e "little" medium speed diesels - only a couple of decks high really smiley

Scott

Thread: Nemmet Bobcat
08/02/2013 11:20:58

Excellent! That'll do for me! I'll start collecting materials.

Nice idea David. Diane might be retired by the time I finish it with the amount of spare time I have but I'll try to take pics and notes from the start ... whenever that may be! smiley

Thanks all

Scott

Thread: Hard/Soft centres
08/02/2013 11:16:51

I had one but the wheel fell off! cheeky

Thread: Nemmet Bobcat
08/02/2013 08:35:37

This could be a very naive question but would it be daft to attempt to build a Bobcat without a milling machine? I've been following the series and would love to build the engine which would be my first I/C. I reckon I have the travel on the vertical slide to mill out the crankcase. Obviously it's far from ideal but if some more experienced bods think it's physically possible with a bit of ingenuity I might give it a go.

Not helped by the fact I really want to build the twin rather than the Jaguar.smiley

Cheers

Scott

Thread: Hard/Soft centres
08/02/2013 07:07:29

Thanks for that tip Norman. Good to know!

Bazyle I agree that suppliers really ought to make it clearer what they are offering.Your observation is bang on - I did actually order it assuming it was a hard centre for the tailstock but at 3 quid it's not the end of the world.

I share Jason's confusion over live and revolving centres. Always thought they were one and the same. Probably got that from my father who always called a revolving centre a "live" centre

07/02/2013 17:31:12

The file says it's soft, point and all. Thanks for the replies gents. Just didn't expect the body to be soft enough to deform after just being inserted in the barrel two or three times.

Cheers

Scott

07/02/2013 12:05:07

Morning all

I recently bought a 2MT centre from a well-known supplier to the hobby market. It was described as a "2MT Dead Centre for Myford Lathe". Can someone please advise a newbie if this is likely to be a hard or soft centre?I've seen both mentioned in books. The reason I ask is that without any use in anger (it has only been inserted into the tailstock barrel a few times) I can now feel a ridge/hump on the taper where the end of the barrel would have been. It's not visible so it's not very big but the fingers don't lie. Doesn't seem right to me! :-/

Cheers

Scott

Thread: MIG welding bandsaw blades
02/12/2012 20:30:27

**LINK**

This sort of thing

Thread: Model display case
22/11/2012 18:17:12

The woodworking forums would be the place for more construction info e.g.

**LINK**

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Dreweatts
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate