By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tractor man

Here is a list of all the postings Tractor man has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: what is this tool for?
10/04/2018 18:39:56
Well done Tom k!
Obviously it's incomplete and missing the expanding segments which allow it to work as an alignment tool.
But it looks so clever compared to some of the clutch tools I used to use when on the spanners.
Many thanks to all who scratched their heads along with me.
10/04/2018 07:07:11
I can think of many a better implement to deal with that scumbag! Have you seen the shrine to him? Disgusting!
Still clueless on the tool so I will post more images and do some research.
09/04/2018 10:35:27
Wow over 300 views and not an opinion ventured. Must be a record.
I'm still in the dark as to it's possible use but I'm sure it will become clear.
07/04/2018 10:09:41

img_1550.jpgimg_1549.jpgHi gents,

not got a bald clue as to the identity of this tool.

It is well made but has no markings at all, its not an accurate measuring tool but I did wonder if it was for setting something up.

the long end unscrews to open the centre slot which is sprung. it operates a bit like a tap wrench but its clearly not of that family.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.img_1548.jpg

Thread: Internal Fire Museum of Power, Tan Y Groes
06/04/2018 19:14:34
Very nice place to visit by the looks of things.
Anyone been to Markham grange steam museum near Doncaster? They have a wonderful range of engines most in steam on certain days. It's part of a garden centre so leave the missus looking for bedding plants while you peruse the engineering.
Thread: How to paint aluminium
05/04/2018 22:12:54
U pol do an etch primer for aluminium available on line or from Halfords etc.
Thread: Cut knurling
02/04/2018 16:22:44
Nick sent you a pm.

Thread: Perfecto Shaper
02/04/2018 08:37:48
Stewart.
The tool post I have is much bigger that the dimensions you gave. I like the square clapper design and think it would be great on a small shaper.
Try using a finishing tool with the curved cutting edge, I can get a beautiful surface finish with one.
Best regards Mick
Thread: National coal mining museum
30/03/2018 16:54:16
I dont want to get political, being the son of a striking miner and later to join the enemy and work for south yorkshire police. BUT
The actions of Mrs Thatcher not only closed viable pits, but wiped their very existence from the face of the earth. As a small child I could count the headgear visible from my bedroom window, more than ten pits. Now I couldn't take you to a single sign that coal was once mined here other than the occasional half head gear wheel set in concrete. It wasn't the end of the mines, it was the wholesale destruction of an industry and it's workforce.
30/03/2018 13:59:12
I paid a visit to the national coal mining museum at caphouse colliery today.
It was a very interesting and informative visit for someone who's family going back several generations were all miners. I was barred from working darn't pit by my dad, who said "no son of mine is going underground."
I completely understand his reasoning, it must have been a hellish place to work and such hard physical labour.
But the visit let me see all the engineering my dad had described to me when I was young and Put it all together as accurately as he had described.
The guides were all ex miners and so good at what they do, it's well worth a visit.
Free to get in but 4.00 for the underground tour which was well worth it and so enjoyable.
There's a steam winding engine preserved but not running, plus lots of other machinery and artefacts.
I saw my childhood again, complete with outside toilets, Peggy tubs, coal men and tin baths in front of the fire.
So proud to come from hardy mining stock.
Thread: Ooh Look!
28/03/2018 18:20:08
I deal with cutwell and they offer great service. They are a little expensive if you need a few sizes.
Thread: What mic is this?
28/03/2018 18:14:08
Many thanks for the help. I'm sure it will be useful for general use and for ?20 in near mint condition I'm very happy.
28/03/2018 16:08:23

I bought this mic today just as a curiosity but Id love to know the reason for the small frame.

can anyone tell me the name or use of this type of mic please?

Best regarimg_1495.jpgds Mick

Thread: Moore and wright tools
28/03/2018 10:41:23
There are still lots of good condition tools out there to buy second hand.
Thread: One of my vices.....
27/03/2018 20:14:36

Well I looked and found two of them in the same dealers, one absolutely brand harry spankers with the protective grease still on it. Bought it for £100 which I was well pleased with, brilliant for holding non parallel pieces.

best regards Mick

Thread: Perfecto Shaper
25/03/2018 19:35:26
What size is the tool holder bore? I have one from a scrap Royal shaper that might suit...
Best regards Mick
Thread: Workshop belt grinder/linisher/sander
23/03/2018 21:07:18
Muzzer.
A tip i was given by an abrasive dealer was to get an old plastic carrier bag (the thicker good quality ones) and roll it into a tight cigar shape secured with tape. Use that as a belt/disc cleaner and it works just as good as the commercial ones.
Best regards Mick
Thread: Adaptation of grinding wheel to a spindle
23/03/2018 19:44:29
Spacers and adaptors are usually pretty flimsy plastic jobs so there is no need to be overly complex in what you make. I have turned spacers and the like with no problems.
Just make sure you use decent blotters if the new wheel doesn't have them fitted. Remember a blotter can be a label but a label cannot be a blotter. That comes from the HSE handbook on grinding wheel mounting which is essential reading if you're doing any modification on any grinding machine or wheel.
Best regards Mick
23/03/2018 19:44:22
Spacers and adaptors are usually pretty flimsy plastic jobs so there is no need to be overly complex in what you make. I have turned spacers and the like with no problems.
Just make sure you use decent blotters if the new wheel doesn't have them fitted. Remember a blotter can be a label but a label cannot be a blotter. That comes from the HSE handbook on grinding wheel mounting which is essential reading if you're doing any modification on any grinding machine or wheel.
Best regards Mick
Thread: Workshop belt grinder/linisher/sander
23/03/2018 19:38:29
Nice bit of work. A similar beast to the American knife grinding machines made by Baldur etc.
I agree that I would leave the belts alone and either use them with an extra idler or sell them to buy more of the right size.
Best regards Mick
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne Sept 2019
Advertise With Us
Warco
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest