By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Alan Vos

Here is a list of all the postings Alan Vos has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: cateracts.
07/09/2020 19:39:38
Posted by Bandersnatch on 07/09/2020 18:26:23:
Do they give any such sedative for the cataract surgery?

Local anaesthetic only for me.

The only thing I would criticise the surgeon for is his choice of music. One piece was a requiem.

Thread: Electronics for the Cognoscenti
01/09/2020 18:19:42
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 30/08/2020 11:30:33:One caveat, it's printed on tissue paper so thin you can see what's printed on the other side of the page. That's a real disappointment, CUP must be going down the pan.

Andrew

CUP = Cambridge University Press

There are reports of poor quality counterfeit versions of the main book.

Thread: My wife broke the internet
20/08/2020 17:33:16

Did enybody ever actually manage to exceed the REN limit and experience an adverse effect ? From what I recall, the stated limit was 4. The daftness was that no device was allowed to state less than 1, even if, as mentioned above, it was seperately powered and put very little load on the line.

Thread: cateracts.
12/07/2020 18:09:30

Hopefully you will be given the option of whether you want the implant suitable for reading, long vision, or something in-between. I opted for long vision. Stereo vision was restored as soon as I took the dressing off.

Thread: Buying first lathe
22/06/2020 17:27:57
Posted by Durhambuilder on 22/06/2020 08:31:04:

The dulux paint colour match swatch under the left foot would ring some alarm bells ! Has it been hastily repainted?

There again, it could be a good sign. Some people include a reference colour sample for the same reason others include a ruler.

Thread: Can summer car tyres be used in winter?
17/06/2020 17:27:48

Posted by Peter G. Shaw on 17/06/2020 09:18:37:

I then moved onto Michelin Energy+, and now am on Michelin Cross Climates. My suspicion is that the Cross Climates are noisier than the Energy+s, and possibly slightly less good on mileage. On the one occasion we did get some snow recently (two years ago?) I deliberately tried to provoke a sideways slip with harsh braking at a low speed. No-one else was around so it was quite safe. The car pulled up in a dead straight line when I expected at least a gentle sideslip. So was that the Cross Climates? Don't know, but on that very unscientific test, I'm staying with them.

A few years ago, when the original Hankook tyres on a car wore out, following an icy winter, I replaced them with Michelin CrossClimate. My thinking being that as those are certified for winter use, they ought to cope better with the worst British weather. I never found out. It failed to snow the next two winters. Then I sold the car. They did behave very well through standing water. The tendency to pull to one side was greatly reduced.

Thread: Arduino /C++ Questions...
04/06/2020 17:54:15

Something I found. The URL to the code does still work.

Arbitrary precision (big number) library port for Arduino

All theory to me. I don't have an Arduino.

04/06/2020 17:23:49

I would be considering an arbitrary precision integer maths library.

Thread: Look what I Found
21/05/2020 17:52:13

Rawlplastic, and slivers of wood, have an advantage over plastic plugs when the hole is in slightly the wrong place. Enlarge the hole and insert the packing offset so that the 'hole' is where you want it.

The star drills that started this are also great for starting holes in glazed ceramic tiles. Tap away gently until you are through the glaze. You can tap at angle to steer the hole. Then get out the power tools.

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
20/05/2020 19:06:38
Posted by Buffer on 20/05/2020 10:59:51:

screenshot_20200520-105453_whatsapp.jpg

I knew it was proposed to make syy writing legal again in the UK (since 1960). Now with added computer control.

Thread: Arc Euro Trade - Quality?
14/05/2020 18:50:04

I am a happy repeat customer of Arc. The only dud was a set of thread gauges. The smallest pitches were all poor.

So I bought another set elsewhere. Exactly the same. Conclusion, there was factory somewhere in China in need of new tooling. In practice, the gauges have always been good enough for what I actually need.

Thread: SX2P Mill - Birds Nest?
14/05/2020 17:50:09

On mine, the key for the R8 taper fell out, to the outside of the spindle. This led to worrying noises. Try taking off the cover around the bottom of spindle and see what you find. Those are parts 100 and 102 here: **LINK**.

Thread: How to store boiled linseed oil so that you can re-open the bottle at a later date
07/05/2020 17:55:51

I have a bottle of boiled linseed oil. It is a typical DIY store thin clear plastic bottle, with a safety cap. After the first use, this is, being polite, somewhat difficult to open.

I am thinking I should decant into a more sturdy bottle, Then remember to wipe the cap and the neck of the bottle before closing.

Does anybody have any tips to prevent the bottle cap becoming glued on by polymerised oil ?

Thread: Internet crash
19/03/2020 18:56:56

I am the IT department for my employer, I have spent most of the week scurrying around to arrange working-from-home for people who were not expecting to need it. There are some hardware shortages. Internet bandwidth is not proving to be a problem. To paraphrase the Openreach representative interviewed on Radio 4 a few days ago, leisure time use of Netfiix etc is what creates the heavy load, home working is easy to handle.

Instead of the usual 5 or so VPN clients, today I had aounrd 30.. No performance issues reported. The 100Mbps internet connection remained mostly close to idle, just the usual brief peaks when somebody or something moves a large lump of data.

Earlier in the week there were signs of stress on business services such as Microsoft Teams. These will not affect domestic internet connections.

Thread: Cylinder bore measuring
21/02/2020 19:36:02

Ok, I'll take the bait. This is 4 point. All the new bore gauges I see on sale are 3 point. Does anybody know enough about measuing holes to compare and contrast. I note CCCP on the paperwork.

I like being able to measure things far more closely than I need, but even budget brand bore gauges are !!! expensive.

Thread: Temporary oil conundrum
17/12/2019 18:52:46

For a few days you could probably use lard. Or be seasonal and upgrade to goose fat.

Thread: Stevensons original collet blocks & Arc Euro 6" grinder
16/12/2019 18:59:40

Posted by Chris Vickers on 15/12/2019 17:17:17:

I emailed Arc Euro earlier to ask if the collet sets are supplied in an aluminium case, strangely it doesn't say on their website.

The set I ordered arrived as a collection of individual square blue plastic boxes. A discount for bulk-buying. No special packaging.

Those plastic boxes are now packed open-ended on a square grid in a wooden box that originally contained cutlery.

Thread: Rotary Table
12/12/2019 19:17:28

I tried using a hex key to rotate the 0-360deg ring. It worked, just. I could only move the ring a small distance by hand. I was able to get it the whole way round by wedging the hex key on a clamp bolt (no clamp) and using the handwheel for some mechanical advantage.

If anybody knows a way to get some lubrication in there without talking the table apart, please advise. Other than this ring, it works very nicely out of the box. I am reluctant to risk disturbing that.

10/12/2019 21:23:49
Posted by JasonB on 09/12/2019 18:49:37:
Posted by Alan Vos on 09/12/2019 18:31:05:

I have the 4 inch version. That 0-360deg ring looks like it might move, but I have never managed to shift it. Is there a trick? Maybe the 4 inch does not have this.

loosen the small locking grub screw just to the side of "0" I found leaving the key in the screw made a good lever to turn the ring with. If you still have some of the very thick packing chicken fat on it that may need cleaning up first as it is rather sticky.

Thanks. I had not considered using the grub screw as a lever. I will persevere.

09/12/2019 18:31:05
Posted by JasonB on 09/12/2019 15:43:20:

In case you missed it the 0-360deg ring around the edge of the table also moves and can be set to zero but is a good fit which is why it looks like you did not remove it.

I have the 4 inch version. That 0-360deg ring looks like it might move, but I have never managed to shift it. Is there a trick? Maybe the 4 inch does not have this.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
cowells
EngineDIY
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest