By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Alan Vos

Here is a list of all the postings Alan Vos has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cylinder bore measuring
21/02/2020 19:36:02

Ok, I'll take the bait. This is 4 point. All the new bore gauges I see on sale are 3 point. Does anybody know enough about measuing holes to compare and contrast. I note CCCP on the paperwork.

I like being able to measure things far more closely than I need, but even budget brand bore gauges are !!! expensive.

Thread: Temporary oil conundrum
17/12/2019 18:52:46

For a few days you could probably use lard. Or be seasonal and upgrade to goose fat.

Thread: Stevensons original collet blocks & Arc Euro 6" grinder
16/12/2019 18:59:40

Posted by Chris Vickers on 15/12/2019 17:17:17:

I emailed Arc Euro earlier to ask if the collet sets are supplied in an aluminium case, strangely it doesn't say on their website.

The set I ordered arrived as a collection of individual square blue plastic boxes. A discount for bulk-buying. No special packaging.

Those plastic boxes are now packed open-ended on a square grid in a wooden box that originally contained cutlery.

Thread: Rotary Table
12/12/2019 19:17:28

I tried using a hex key to rotate the 0-360deg ring. It worked, just. I could only move the ring a small distance by hand. I was able to get it the whole way round by wedging the hex key on a clamp bolt (no clamp) and using the handwheel for some mechanical advantage.

If anybody knows a way to get some lubrication in there without talking the table apart, please advise. Other than this ring, it works very nicely out of the box. I am reluctant to risk disturbing that.

10/12/2019 21:23:49
Posted by JasonB on 09/12/2019 18:49:37:
Posted by Alan Vos on 09/12/2019 18:31:05:

I have the 4 inch version. That 0-360deg ring looks like it might move, but I have never managed to shift it. Is there a trick? Maybe the 4 inch does not have this.

loosen the small locking grub screw just to the side of "0" I found leaving the key in the screw made a good lever to turn the ring with. If you still have some of the very thick packing chicken fat on it that may need cleaning up first as it is rather sticky.

Thanks. I had not considered using the grub screw as a lever. I will persevere.

09/12/2019 18:31:05
Posted by JasonB on 09/12/2019 15:43:20:

In case you missed it the 0-360deg ring around the edge of the table also moves and can be set to zero but is a good fit which is why it looks like you did not remove it.

I have the 4 inch version. That 0-360deg ring looks like it might move, but I have never managed to shift it. Is there a trick? Maybe the 4 inch does not have this.

Thread: slidway lapping
17/10/2019 19:33:10

I am going to present an alternate view. I have a mini lathe. Around 15 years old. I read that newer models are better.

There was no good setting of the compound slide gib. The compound either flopped about, or bound at high spots. Lappinng with PEEK polish made it usable. Compared to a proper scraping job, the geometry may not be quite right and lubrication will be compromised. However, it is now useful rather than decorative.

Thread: ME 4621 availability
17/09/2019 17:47:11

Based on the date, ME 4621 should have appeared in the shops by now. The local newagent usually has a couple of copies on the cover date. If not, the not quite so local branch of WHSmith can usually be relied on. This time, no sign in either. Is there anything odd with the distribution of this issue?

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
15/08/2019 18:50:31

I thought I would try some of ARC's diamond/rhombic insert tools. Also the Sumitomo CCMT and CGTT inserts. I suspect the £££ Sumitomo tool holders would be wasted on a mini-lathe.

ARC CCMT, works nicely on EN1A. Sumitomo CCMT, works even better. Personally, I would pay the modest extra price when I need replacements. Sorry, no numbers or photos.

Sumitomo CGTT, we have a winner! Slices through aluminium and brass with very little force on the handwheel.

What size tool holder for a 000 wedge type toolpost? 10mm looks more at home than 8mm. But that is very much personal opinion. I don't expect agreement on a 'right size'.

Thread: Grid Frequency [mains electricity]
13/08/2019 19:00:00
Posted by Bazyle on 13/08/2019 13:47:32:

It used to be said that they 'made up' the missing cycles just before 9pm so that the BBC news clock and home clocks matched.

I was told it was 8am so everybody got to work on time. It could have been both. Whatever the detail, there was no long term drift on a mains driven clock.

Now we tolerate DAB radio 'pips' being several seconds late. Don't get me started...

13/08/2019 18:49:31

Posted by Georgineer on 13/08/2019 18:08:34:

Not necessarily. Early mains clocks had no ratchet mechanism and had to be started by spinning a small shaft by hand. If you spun it the wrong way, the clock ran backwards. I have an old clock movement of this type which belonged to my late father.

The school I went to had the then common system of multiple synchronised clocks. The biggest, highest up the wall, most akward to access clock had lost its ratchet. After loss of power, it was pot luck which way ran on restart. Sometimes the caretaker had to get the big ladder out and nudge this clock in the right direction, waiting for the next full sync event.

The clock probably could have been fixed. The headmaster was ex REME. The faulty clock was a good teaching aid. The caretaker was very tolerant.

Thread: Dam Solution?
09/08/2019 19:01:25
Posted by John Olsen on 08/08/2019 23:40:02:

However they [properly bult earth dams] are vulnerable if water is able to overtop them, and the situation with this dam where the spillway concrete had failed would have much the same effect. Water running over the dam is quite capable of eroding the dam quite quickly and catastrophically.

This.

08/08/2019 18:28:17
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 07/08/2019 18:02:08:

Don't blame the Victorian engineers!

There seems to be some disagreement about the opening date. But given how long such things take from design to implementation, the engineering appears to be late Georgian. Don't blame them either

Thread: Serious question, What is a Mini Lathe?
07/08/2019 18:47:08
Posted by Anthony Knights on 06/08/2019 19:31:10:

The most spectacular photo I took is below, taken with a 500mm telephoto lens with a X2 multiplier, which accounts for the poor focus.

Fairford 1993? If so, my main memory is that the pilot who landed close enough to be cauight on camera calmly lit a cigarette.

06/08/2019 18:30:33

Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 06/08/2019 18:06:49:

Emptying the dam would have to be managed to avoid bursting banks downstream. There's nowhere else for the water to go apart from into the valley.

From what I have seen (but can't now find to link to), the only outflow is into the canal system, not the river. Canals are not built to handle high flows. The only way to get a large volume out in a hurry was to take it over the top of the dam, which does take it into the river.

Thread: Unusual Boat Propellers?
05/08/2019 18:45:55
Posted by Martin King 2 on 05/08/2019 17:57:16:

Some one said they are 'surface acting' whatever that is.

From what I recall, they will still work well when not fully submerged, interacting with the surface of the water. For a fast boat.

05/08/2019 18:33:30

Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 05/08/2019 13:20:50:

Another interesting factoid at the end of that link is a figure for the tensile strength of water - about 150Mpa, which I think is amazingly high.

Dave

Here is an example of what I suggest is water in tension, in free space. The front of the raft has just bounced up off a rock. The water is being pulled up, not falling down. For those who like to see the numbers: Canon EOS 30D, f/4.5, 1/1600 sec, ISO-400, focal length 200mm

img_1884_4x3.jpg.

04/08/2019 09:58:17

I see it this way. A siphon runs on gravity, not air pressure. Creating a partial vacuum is a convenient way of priming the system and getting the process started, but not the only way.

Thread: Cruise meeting crash
20/07/2019 15:34:51
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 20/07/2019 14:41:04:

My estimate of the location on Google Earth: 51°53'31"N 0°11'45"W

Very close. Assuming Google Earth is reliable 51°53'20"N 0°11'43"W. Just south of the A602.

20/07/2019 14:25:10

Posted by Plasma on 20/07/2019 11:31:19:

It looks like one of those rare beasts, a dual carriageway with only one lane in either direction. I know it's not logical but it is factual, a central reserve is the deciding factor.

i suspect it was built as single carriageway. Then some kind of persistent bad behaviour developed for which this was the chosen solution. But it might have been original. Stevenage has other odd bits of road. We have a short section of two-lanes-each-side dual carriageway, with a 30mph limit. There is an underpass that has never been used. There is even a place where you drive on the right.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest