By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for geoff walker 1

Here is a list of all the postings geoff walker 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: WT2527 15cc Glow Engine
02/05/2018 08:35:15

Nice work Craig and welcome,

This thread is right up my street, I shall follow it with interest.

Geoff

Thread: Cutting gears
02/05/2018 08:11:37

Garry,

What equipment do you have? If you have a horizontal milling machine and a dividing head you are well on your way to making gears.

If you just have a lathe you can improvise but you will have much to do before you can cut gears.

The photo you see below is my gear gear cutting arrangement for a 13t tumbler gear.

It comprises a home made dividing attachment and vertical slide which uses gears to index. the example shown is 52t boxford gear which of course would be indexed every 4 tooth forimg_3182.jpg a 13t gear.

The arbour holding the gear cutter has morse taper and uses a long draw bar to secure it in place. Don't trust a morse taper without a draw bar when gear cutting.

Hope this helps, more details on request Geoff

Thread: 1947 Jepson engine
01/05/2018 13:28:13

Hi Emgee,

Thank you for your comments and also thank you, somewhat belatedly to Jim Nic for his earlier post

This is the first steam engine I have made but with it being an obscure design I have found it difficult to assess how well it actually runs, apart from a "gut" feeling that it seems ok?

Therefore feedback from experienced modelers like yourself is much appreciated.

Thank you again Geoff

30/04/2018 16:43:27

20180429_154444.jpg29042018.jpgHi All,

Took a day of today from usual activities to prepare the Jepson engine for steaming.

Added the home made displacement lubricator to the valve chest, then the three oil cups.

The oil cups hold oil to lubricate all the external moving parts. the two main bearing ones also lubricate the big end and the eccentric via oil channels in the crankshaft. The other one carries oil via a down pipe to the cross and the small end.

Bought the cups on ebay, "cheap as chips", £1.50 for 10, why bother making them!!

Also added an additional flywheel. The engine runs fine with the combined flywheels/crank but better with the added flywheel.

I bought some PTFE sheet to make gaskets. Really impressed, only .004" thick and very easy to cut and shape with a sharp modelling knife and gives a perfect seal.

It would appear to me that I have an internet world exclusive on this engine. I've searched and can't find a single example, apart from mine of course.

Best to all Geoff

Thread: Can't wrap my head around gear cutting, RE: Gear blank diameter.
26/04/2018 11:16:27

Sorry guys, silly me,

I'm confused, must be an age thing.

I thought the myford gears were the same as boxford 9/16" bore.

Geoff

26/04/2018 10:09:37

Hi Coleston

Now I know the number of teeth, and I know the inside bore (5/8) and I know the pressure angle 14.5 degrees.

If you have gears with a 5/8" bore and a P.A. of 14.5 degrees then they are not super 7 gears.

These gear sizes are the same as the ones for a myford m type lathe which are 14 d.p.

The gears you have listed are all standard for the m type except for the 25 and 75. Are you sure the 75 is not 73 which is one of the standard metric gears for the M type.

The m type has 2 X 20, 2 X 30, 35, 38, 40, 45, 46 (metric) 50, 55, 60, 65, 73 (metric).

The dial on the m type cross slide also has 100 divisions.

Sorry if this is a daft question but are you your lathe is a super 7?

Geoff

Thread: scratch build
23/04/2018 07:21:53

Hi tony,

Welcome to the forum

I lived in north wales for over 30 years, still miss the area a lot.

Where do you live?

Sand casting sounds interesting, are you setting up a mini foundry?

good luck with future projects

Geoff

Thread: Chuky in progress
23/04/2018 06:59:15

Hi David,

Flywheel looks well made, does it need balancing?

Assuming you have a reamed hole in the centre, why not make a small length of shaft lightly centre drilled at both ends, slide it through the hole and set it up between centres on the M type. If there is a grub screw in the flywheel lock it on the shaft. Just spinning the wheel will give you an immediate indication of whether it is out of balance which I would say is unlikely.

Just my thoughts David, I'm up early this morning, you may get a better answer later in the day!

Keep posting David, I like this engine a lot

Thread: Jason's Firefly .46 Build
20/04/2018 20:32:18

Nice job Keith, I know how you feel, it was my first engine as well.

I also used ball races instead of the plain bronze one. No particular reason just seemed like a good idea.

Mine has been in the air today on a cougar 2000 model. The slightly larger carb is one I made for Jones 605, easier to tune for performance. Just about fits in the barrel space. The Cougar is a small light model which was about the size limit for my engine.

Geoff20180412_160857.jpg

Thread: Another mystery lathe identification thread
16/04/2018 18:20:04

Andrew, thank you for your reply. Yes the lathe shown does have some characteristics of the Britannia lathe.

I have yet to collect my inherited lathe from its current location but will post some pics when I do.

I'm reasonably sure that it is Leyland and Barlow, made just down the canal from where I live in Trafford park Manchester

Thanks again geoff

Thread: Issue 4584
16/04/2018 18:07:51

No problems up here in the north west, got mine ok

Have to say that Ramon Wilson looks very dapper in his pin stripe jacket and straw boater.

As does the young lady in period costume photographed with him.

Really enjoyed the wide awake article, if only I could?

Geoff

Thread: Another mystery lathe identification thread
13/04/2018 21:09:26

Here is a picture of the lathe

mystery lathe.jpg

geoff

13/04/2018 20:25:34

Hi All,

Does anyone recognise this lathe on ebay.

I've been offered one just like it, for free and will be collecting soon

Just curious as to the make?

geoffhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Engineers-metal-turning-lathe/123068281811?hash=item1ca770f3d3:g:QssAAOSw73Nay34c

Thread: Simple displacement lubricator
08/04/2018 09:38:32

......and here it is designed and made, just hope it works ok. Body is 1/2 inch square and the needle has been salvaged from an aero carb

Geoff

20180408_091603.jpg

04/04/2018 08:59:11

Hi Neil / Fizzy

Thank you for your replies.

Have to say I like your dynamic theory Neil, much the same as I was thinking.

Pressure building up in the lubricator exceeding the incoming pressure of the steam, hence the oil is drawn into the valve chest. I would imagine in some form of misty miasma. Just my thoughts.

Thanks again

Geoff

03/04/2018 19:06:12

20180318_085902.jpgHi All

I am currently designing a small displacement lubricator for my jepson engine.

I have decided to go for the type which attaches directly to the side of the valve chest where the cross is in the photo.

I am using a the simple drawing from a K.N. Harris book as the basis for the design but do intend to add a needle valve to regulate the flow. K.N.H. recommends a No. 70 drill for the20180316_150928.jpg oil supply hole (0.028". The smallest drill I have is 1 mm. so I felt that adding a needle valve would be advisable.

It is easy to see how steam under pressure enters the lubricator however I am puzzled as to how the oil travels back into the valve chest. K.N.Harris has no idea either. Anyone got any thoughts?

Thread: ME vertical boiler
19/03/2018 18:50:15

Hi Jason

Thank you for the reply and also the detailed drawing, much appreciated.

I found a similar design on the internet. A coal fired example but with the fire hole and grate removed much like your drawing. It also shows a super heater coil which is specified in the M.E. boiler material list.

For the M.E. boiler this would probably tubal cain boiler.jpglocate in the space above the tubes in your drawing.

I would say the Tubal cain design may well be my best option as it looks a to be a simpler construction and therefore a better option as my first boiler build.

I'm certainly ready to go, new sievert torch, gas bottle and a second hand brazing hearth with a rotary table. The hearth,table and fire bricks believe it or were being thrown out by my local secondary school. I had rescue it from the schools rubbish skip

Thanks again geoff

boiler.jpg

19/03/2018 13:41:53

I find the materials list interesting.

I know very little about boiler design and cannot visualise the internal layout of this boiler from the list.

Can anyone explain to me what the arrangement is LIKELY to be inside the 3" diameter shell.

I've been looking at the 3" Tubal Cain vertical boiler in M.E. feb/april 1977 and it would appear from the materials list that the internal structure of the current M.E. Boiler is completely different. The Tubal Cain design has conical firebox with 3 crossing and angled fire tubes.

Issue numbers 3555 to 3558 over a period of 6 weeks cover the whole design with detailed and informative diagrams and building notes all aimed at the beginner to boiler making making their first boiler.

geoff

Thread: Myford M type half nut Thread form?
14/02/2018 13:05:08
Hi eug
I can help you with this but I am currently in Australia so my response is limited via the mobile.
I return home in late March so if you still need help I will contact you then via a p.m.
In the meantime I would suggest that you try to get a copy of the Steve Papworth articles from m.e. magazine in 1996. In particular the issue in which he describes the screw cutting of the half nut bobbin.
All the best for now geoff
Thread: Australia is not a country???
13/02/2018 04:29:14
Continent, country who cares. I'm here for the next 5 weeks. I'll miss the workshop back home in the UK but I ain't missing the weather. Gday to all you aussies geoff
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Meridienne oct 2019
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
cowbells
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest