By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for geoff walker 1

Here is a list of all the postings geoff walker 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Swarf Trivia
31/07/2017 15:16:55

Hi All,

A little trivia if I may.

Turning a piece of 1" diameter mild steel with an indexable carbide tip tool at 300 rpm, depth of cut .030" and fine feed of 350 tpi. From this I got a continuous chip 4.2 metres long which I thought was pretty amazing.

I know, most (all?) of you will be thinking you sad B****** measuring the length of a swarf chip and you may well be right.

Oh! by the way the the finish on the work piece was perfect.

geoff

Thread: First Project
30/07/2017 17:43:43

Hi David,

I have been following this thread with interest.

Well done a really nice outcome, I'm jealous, I want one!

Look forward to seeing it powered up.

Could you post future pictures with a ruler in the foreground so I/we can get an idea of the size.

Geoff

Thread: Rebuilt ML7
20/07/2017 10:02:28

Hi Phil,

Yes a lovely job that mate, totally agree with Nick.

I like the cross and top slide dials. Did you make them?

geoff

Thread: Bevel gears on ebay
12/07/2017 16:34:40

Hi Neil,

Thanks, I like it as well.

Just started my first ever model steam project, a vertical marine engine and have been using the Potts to mill the ports in the cylinder block.

I have just upgraded the Potts specifically for this vertical set up, I'll have the details with you soon for your editorial perusal. geoff

Thread: cricket club mower
11/07/2017 14:06:58

Hi Gents

Thanks for the replies in particular ASF

I shall be talking to the groundsman later, can't get the spares my A***.

geoff

11/07/2017 08:25:57

As a long standing member of my local cricket club I am occasionally asked to do small machinery repairs. The worn gear on this pulley needs replacing.

Two questions if I may

Can anyone tell me what plastic material this gear is made from. Not any easy question I know, just from a picture, but any ideas would be appreciated.

Secondly hpc sell gears the same size 2.5 mod 20t in delron and tufnol. I know little about these two materials. Which material is likely to be the best replacement. Which ever one we buy will have to be modified to fit the pulley but that's not a problem

thanks geoff (we checked spares for the mower but can't get them!!)

cricket club mower

Thread: Milling in a pillar drill
02/07/2017 20:34:32

Hi Nige,

You have of course to consider how you are going to move the work around?

You will need one of the two way x-y milling slides which are available on the internet good ones are not cheap.

What about the z feed up and down. If you only have a rack feed you will need to be able to lock the spindle for each cut. Does your drill have an alternative fine feed?

I would not say give up the idea but would endorse the view that a draw bar should be used. If your drill has a hollow spindle you could possibly fit one of the er collet chucks which have a threaded taper and make a simple draw bar to secure it in place.

hope this helps Geoff

01/07/2017 10:15:53

Hi All,

I've decided I don't need a geared head, just turn the motor through 90 degrees and have a direct drive.

Think I'm on a winner with this, K.I.S.S. is sometimes the best way!!!

geoffpotts spindle with direct drive

Thread: Steam Power
01/07/2017 08:47:32

Hi Ian,

My Dad was a very accomplished aeromodeller, he spent all his life well into his eighties building and flying model aeroplanes.

He also like you showed an interest in steam (not for aeroplanes!!!!) and made some really nice hand built, no lathe, examples. All of these were simple oscillators like the twin cylinder one in the photo.

Yes, this is entirely hand built with bench tools, Dad didn't even have pillar drill, never mind a lathe.

I suspect this engine was built from a old plan in one of his model magazines.

My advice to you would be start with a simple single cylinder oscillator. I think that would be good fun. You can run them on compressed air, no need initially for a steam boiler.

best regards geofftwin cylinder oscillating engine

Thread: Appreciation of Contributors
29/06/2017 18:00:05

I don't make a lot of posts but when I do Michael is often one of the first to respond.

I do hope like many others that he continues to offer his sage advice, in particular to new members.

geoff

24/06/2017 18:54:44

Hi Tim

The ratio would not be problem as I could counteract that with the pulley ratios from the overhead.

I notice that the angle grinder ratios are around 3:1 which would be fine.

Essentially I am looking for a nice smooth drive from o/head through to the potts spindle, which I suspect the a/g gears may give me. I don't get a really smooth drive via the jockey pulleys.

I notice that the a/g gears are a "buttress shape" so I assume they are designed to rotate one way only with the squared sides being the driver and driven faces.

If the larger of the two gears is mounted on the end of the potts spindle (with the spindle set vertical) then I would need the this gear to rotate clockwise when viewed from above.

From what I have seen on ebay they all seem to have this clockwise rotation?

cheers geoff

24/06/2017 14:10:35

........turn the drive from the overhead drive through 90 degrees.

24/06/2017 14:05:11

Thank you Michael, must try harder and add a link next time!

...and thank you Jason, not seen those grinder gears, as you say they may well be better for a high speed application.

I am looking to make a detachable geared head drive for my potts milling attachment. I want to able to use the attachment in a vertical set up and turn the drive through 90 degrees using bevel gears instead of the jockey pulleys.

Just thoughts at present .......... regards geoff

24/06/2017 11:55:14

Hi All,

Just looking at ebay item 141737552116, pair of bevel gears 2:1

No idea what sort of quality they are, they could be rubbish at that price, but lets assume they are good.

What is a realistic top "meshing" speed for gears of this type and size assuming that both are mounted on spindles with free running well lubricated plain bronze bearings.

I would like the smaller one and spindle to turn up to around 1000 rpm which would of course turn the larger one at 500 rpm.

Any ideas geoff

Thread: Myford ML7 Cross Slide Bearing Upgrade
14/06/2017 21:44:40

Yes, thanks Dave, looks interesting.

I just had a look at the arc euro drawing and the idea could be adapted for my Myford M type

Have to say the small ball bearing seems very narrow at 1/8" wide.

Would it be better to have a longer needle type bearing 5/16" long and 1/4" i/d to give a longer bearing surface for the feed screw?

I've seen one at Simply Bearings but it has an o/d of 7/16" which will fit my M type but may be a little to big for the ML7 end plate which I notice on the arc euro drawing is enlarged to 3/8".

thanks again geoff

Thread: lorch countershaft?
10/06/2017 10:45:34

Michael,

Yes I saw that when I was researching. Do people really pay that kind of money?

The more I look at this lorch attachment the more I see the potential to use it as independent overhead drive for the M type and my Potts milling spindle. The attachment clamped above the lathe, driven from an independent motor below and then the drive transferred down to the Potts. Maybe, we shall see.

Watch this space

geoff

09/06/2017 18:01:19

Hi Michael,

I thought it was for use with an electric motor. the other side has a small 3 step pulley which I assumed would transmit the drive to a similar pulley on the lathe spindle, the larger pulleys taking the drive from the motor. Having done some research it would appear as you indicated to be some sort of hand cranking device which I have to say puzzles me? Like I said, I just like it. When time permits I'll bring it back to life!20170609_140340.jpg

09/06/2017 14:45:56

20170609_140320.jpgHi All

Just browsing in the town scrap yard and found this. looks like it is a bench mounted c/shaft for a lorch lathe. After some negotiation, how much? £10, will you take 5, nah 8, how about 7, go on then sold for 7, it was all mine. All seized up and I don't know what I'm going to do with it, I just like it! ........and I know what you guys are thinking, was there a lathe? No such luck I'm afraid.

20170609_140312.jpg

Thread: Lawrence Sparey Gearbox
03/06/2017 11:22:05

Hi Mike,

welcome, you will like this group, there are a good number of M type users on here so the chat is always good.

Are you thinking about fitting a sparey to your ML7 or to the M type. The latter is possible but requires a lot of patience a careful fitting. I had one ( a sparey gearbox ) some years ago but declined to fit it to the M type as I rarely cut screw theads and would probably have mainly just used the Fine feed. It was simpler to just make a Duplex fine feed rather than go to the trouble of fitting a gearbox.

I have some pictures of a M type with a sparey fitted, let me know if you would like to see any

Regards geoff w

Thread: Unavailable back issue
31/05/2017 16:11:48

Hi Rik

There is one on ebay item number 311158000634

geoff

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
cowells
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest