By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for geoff walker 1

Here is a list of all the postings geoff walker 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: My First Stationary Engine
23/01/2020 15:16:45

Hi Ron,

Yes it ran ok. It's on youtube, search "mini muncaster oscillating engine"

No ring just a plain gun metal piston.

The flywheel is a stuart casting the smallest one they have 2 1/2" diameter used on the progress engine. The muncaster drawing was just a plain wheel.

I like stuart castings, they always machine really well, the 3" wheel may be around the right size for your engine?

Geoff

Thread: Cowell sensitive tailstock attachment
23/01/2020 14:20:10

Hi Baz

thanks, got it, just can't see the outline of the key in the photo.

The allen screw will be probably be screwed in the threaded hole in the keep plate which stops it lifting out and also rotating.

Cheers Geoff

Thread: My First Stationary Engine
23/01/2020 14:07:45

Hi Ron,

I made that engine but mine was to the original sizes in the Muncaster book.

J.D.W. has scaled it up.

I used cast iron throughout apart from a bronze main bearing, a bronze liner in the big end and a gun metal piston.

I have a Muncaster photo album which may be of interest

Geoff

Thread: Cowell sensitive tailstock attachment
23/01/2020 12:50:07

workshop 017 24 dec.jpg

Hi All

Looking at this image posted by Phil P some years ago, I have a question.

How is the casting part of the attachment fixed to the tailstock body.

I can't see any fixings and I assume the unpainted portion between the tailstock body and the attachment casting is the 2.125" diameter boss on the rear of the tailstock, but how are they joined together?

Also what is the long allen screw for in the casting.

Geoff

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2020
16/01/2020 19:36:22

Hi George,

Did you cut/machine those frames yourself or are they laser cut.

If the former, well done, great job.

If the latter.........

Nice work George, keep the photos coming

Geoff

09/01/2020 18:36:42

Hi Jim,

"Went wrong"? I can't see anything wrong, you've just put your own slant on it, which is what most modellers would do.

Yes I will let you know, need to get it finished this month, off to Australia for 6-7 weeks in early feb so need it over and done with soon

Atb Geoff

08/01/2020 18:41:50

cont.........and I've just seen the video, great.

You see a lot of oscillators with short aggressive strokes but yours with it's long stroke, I personally find much more appealing.

In particular when you have it running really slow.

Geoff

08/01/2020 18:31:26

Hi Jason,

Just browsing back through the posts and spotted your complete engine

I really like it, full of character

Geoff

08/01/2020 18:26:13

Hi Jim,

Keep the photos coming, looking forward to seeing the complete model

I like your mod with the spring and ball, makes sense to me.

10 BA tap!!!!, I've never used one Jim, my smallest is 8.

I'm just completing Part 2 of an article for this engine for a well known model engineering magazine.

Part one is with the editor, early signs are that he will publish, we'll see, fingers crossed.

ATB Geoff

Thread: Axminster/Sieg/Clarke lathe - all the same?
03/01/2020 19:46:19

Hi All,

I rang Arc today enquiring about the SC4 lathe.

I asked about sales in the North west but they were not prepared to give sales details for customers in my area, which of course for reasons of confidentiality I fully understand.

Syston is a long drive for me to view a lathe in Arc's showroom.

So could I respectfully ask is there anyone out there with an SC4 lathe who would be prepared to let me visit, view their lathe and talk informally about the pros and cons.

Could I say I am harmless and would in NO way outstay my welcome.

I live in WA3 North Warrington

Thank you Geoff

21/12/2019 17:23:04

Ace, my nickname when I was an apprentice at Westland Helicopters years ago.

I wou;ld advise dealing with Ketan / Ian at Arcotrade where my SC3 came from. Genuine suppliers and customer care is excellent.

Axminster are overpticed in comparison having had the equivalent model, which was was returned as faulty.,which they were not happy about..

Bill

Yes Bill 10/10 for Arc, having bought a Mill from there I can also highly recommend them.

The SC4 at £1380 from Arc is high up on my wish list in the new year.

At that price I need to see before I buy, so unless anyone knows where I can see one in use somewhere near WA3 it looks like I will have to drive down to Leicester and view at the Arc showroom.

Thanks for the feedback

Geoff

21/12/2019 16:31:40

So out of the Axminster, Arc or Clarke, which is the better build quality/spec?

I have to confess I'm puzzled by the huge difference in prices for what look like much the same machine.

For example the axminster SC4 bench lathe at around £1860 and the sieg SC4 bench lathe at £1380.

Same machines???? with nearly £500 difference or is the axminster far superior????

Geoff

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2019
18/12/2019 14:22:58

Over the last couple of months, while Jason has completed a couple of engines, I have made some snail paced progress on Muncaster's Double Oscillator.

A picture of the parts to date:

family shot 1.jpg

A very loose assembly:

family shot 3.jpg

family shot 4.jpg

Still plenty to do but I can now see an engine in there.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Just browsing through some old posts and spotted this one.

Looking good Jim, nice machining job on the casting.

Main bearings are a big improvement. I see you have made them like the ones on Jason's entablature engine, much better especially with the studs in the main frames. Will make assembly much easier.

I know you had the frames laser cut. Could I ask are they cut to the exact same sizes as on the drawings I sent you.

I have had another person interested in the engine and he may wish to have the frames laser cut. I assume the company who did them will have the drawings on file

Look forward to seeing the engine complete

Geoff

Thread: Muncaster's Simple Entablature Engine
24/11/2019 07:07:49

Hi Phil

Wow, you've made a really good start there.

The base looks great, I reckon J would be proud of that and you used a wood router!!!

I have a set of wood routers but I never imagined they would cut alloy.

Still smile when I see that flexed offset turning method. I used the method as well just as J described.

Clever stuff and one of a few machining gems he has used on this model. Well they are to me!!!!

Geoff

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
23/11/2019 14:39:14

Hi Ian,

I heard your question and I was not surprised by Corbyns answer.

I mean, come on how would he know how to cut an unlisted thread on Colchester student lathe?

That was you, was it?

Thread: 'Bristol Handles'
16/11/2019 17:01:58

Sorted, and what difference they make no more messing around with allen keys.

20191116_155759.jpg

If there are any SX2P owners out there I can recommend these levers from WDS (if you haven't got them already).

Part number 8189- 19920

Geoff

08/11/2019 18:00:32

Hi John MC

Yes wds do have an excellent selection

I've just bought a couple from them

Postage is reasonable

Geoff

Thread: Drummond Tailstock
04/11/2019 11:18:35

Bazyle,

You could use one of these. The pre war drummond longbeds had a much longer tailstock barrel presumably to compensate for the wider cross slide. I've been meaning to fit this to my post war Myford M but never seem to get round to it.

20191104_104550.jpg

This is because I have a lever tail stock and it would require some mods to the linkage for me to really benefit from the extra barrel length.

20191104_104732.jpg

Hopper, I remember Ed Maisey drilled holes around the circumference of his hand wheel and inserted short bar lengths so it resembled a ships capstan. Nice job on yours with the two crank handles. To me they look more like drummond cranks than myford cranks, more rounded on the end.

Geoff

Thread: 'Bristol Handles'
03/11/2019 12:06:03

Hi Keith (Long)

Thanks for your reply.

WDS have just what I want 4mm thread and a short 30mm lever which will just fit the x slide.

Good value as well with postage at £5 not to bad either.

Well done Keith, a fellow Saltney lad helping me out.

Geoff

02/11/2019 12:04:09

Hi All, thanks for the replies.

Still struggling to find what I want at the right price.

John MC you are quite right about postage and VAT. Dereks link above has the ideal lever for my machine. Two @ £3.60 each is fine but with £9.99 delivery + VAT we have a WOPPING £20.30.

Cotel have a minimum order of £25 + VAT and postage and Bonehams only have M5 with a handle that is too long + VAT and £7 postage.

No M4 on ebay that I can find.

Hey ho, I'll keep trying.

Geoff

Howard, Arc sell the M6 lever for the z axis on the sx2p mill but no 4mm levers for the x and y axis

Edited By geoff walker 1 on 02/11/2019 12:06:38

Edited By geoff walker 1 on 02/11/2019 12:25:43

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
mid gard rail Jan 2020
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest