By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for geoff walker 1

Here is a list of all the postings geoff walker 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Muncaster's Simple Entablature Engine
24/11/2019 07:07:49

Hi Phil

Wow, you've made a really good start there.

The base looks great, I reckon J would be proud of that and you used a wood router!!!

I have a set of wood routers but I never imagined they would cut alloy.

Still smile when I see that flexed offset turning method. I used the method as well just as J described.

Clever stuff and one of a few machining gems he has used on this model. Well they are to me!!!!

Geoff

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
23/11/2019 14:39:14

Hi Ian,

I heard your question and I was not surprised by Corbyns answer.

I mean, come on how would he know how to cut an unlisted thread on Colchester student lathe?

That was you, was it?

Thread: 'Bristol Handles'
16/11/2019 17:01:58

Sorted, and what difference they make no more messing around with allen keys.

20191116_155759.jpg

If there are any SX2P owners out there I can recommend these levers from WDS (if you haven't got them already).

Part number 8189- 19920

Geoff

08/11/2019 18:00:32

Hi John MC

Yes wds do have an excellent selection

I've just bought a couple from them

Postage is reasonable

Geoff

Thread: Drummond Tailstock
04/11/2019 11:18:35

Bazyle,

You could use one of these. The pre war drummond longbeds had a much longer tailstock barrel presumably to compensate for the wider cross slide. I've been meaning to fit this to my post war Myford M but never seem to get round to it.

20191104_104550.jpg

This is because I have a lever tail stock and it would require some mods to the linkage for me to really benefit from the extra barrel length.

20191104_104732.jpg

Hopper, I remember Ed Maisey drilled holes around the circumference of his hand wheel and inserted short bar lengths so it resembled a ships capstan. Nice job on yours with the two crank handles. To me they look more like drummond cranks than myford cranks, more rounded on the end.

Geoff

Thread: 'Bristol Handles'
03/11/2019 12:06:03

Hi Keith (Long)

Thanks for your reply.

WDS have just what I want 4mm thread and a short 30mm lever which will just fit the x slide.

Good value as well with postage at £5 not to bad either.

Well done Keith, a fellow Saltney lad helping me out.

Geoff

02/11/2019 12:04:09

Hi All, thanks for the replies.

Still struggling to find what I want at the right price.

John MC you are quite right about postage and VAT. Dereks link above has the ideal lever for my machine. Two @ £3.60 each is fine but with £9.99 delivery + VAT we have a WOPPING £20.30.

Cotel have a minimum order of £25 + VAT and postage and Bonehams only have M5 with a handle that is too long + VAT and £7 postage.

No M4 on ebay that I can find.

Hey ho, I'll keep trying.

Geoff

Howard, Arc sell the M6 lever for the z axis on the sx2p mill but no 4mm levers for the x and y axis

Edited By geoff walker 1 on 02/11/2019 12:06:38

Edited By geoff walker 1 on 02/11/2019 12:25:43

01/11/2019 19:33:53

Got them

Wix Royd supply them

Geoff

01/11/2019 19:28:42

Hi All,

I've been searching the internet for Bristol levers for my seig sx2p mill

I need ones with a 4mm male thread. The arc ones are 6mm.

Anyone know any suppliers.

Tried RS, axminster, j and l etc. no luck

Cheers Geoff

24/10/2019 09:14:49

Job is a very good 'un Ian. Well done. There something very satisfying about a sensitive refurbishment like that.

I remember my dad had a set, for some reason he called them "joe" blocks. No idea why?

Geoff

23/10/2019 09:38:00

Oh dear, broken tap Paul.

Sorry have to agree with Jason, you're fault.

I'm making this engine and I also made the bearing housings from steel, I largely avoid aluminium, much prefer working with steel, just a personal choice.

What I would say is that I drilled the tapping hole right through the housing, so no possibility of the tap bottoming in the blind hole and just the taper tap will give you enough threads for the cap screw or stud.

Also with small taps don't hold the work in a vice, hold the work in one hand and the tap and holder in the other. This will give you much more feel, you can sense more easily when the tap is tightening up so you can relieve the cut. Use a small amount of cutting paste, trefolex or similar. Also agree with Jason a slghtly bigger tapping hole helps

I started home machining / model engineering 10 years ago this month when I bought the Myford. I had no previous experience and during that time I have made lots of tools accessories, models etc, threaded countless holes and I have not broken a tap yet. I do take great care, most of my taps belonged to my dad who was an engineer. When I'm done with them I'll pass them on to my lad, also an engineer. He can break as many as he likes, I won't be around to see it!!

Geoff

13/10/2019 13:51:13

Hi Jason,

Thank for the reply, I suspect I'll be ok on assembly and like I said I have a plan.

I'll post some pics when I have the cross head guides fitted

I take your points regarding the cross head and piston rod boss, I took great care with both to ensure the milling ops were equal.

I had a tiny piece of gun metal, JUST big enough to make the cross head.

20191012_162530.jpg

geoff

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2019
13/10/2019 13:39:10

Nice work Jason, I like it a lot.

Are you doing some drawings for it?

I'm looking to make an i/c engine next model, preferably 4 stroke, could be an option.

Is it air cooled?

Geoff

12/10/2019 10:39:55

Jason I would be interested to know how you fixed the cross head guides in place. Not so much the actual fixings but how did you line everything up accurately.

Both guides have to be set accurately in the same vertical plane and also the centre line of each guide must be on the centre line of the cylinder.

I have thoughts on how to do it but would be interested in your method.

Geoff

12/10/2019 10:30:22

Missed the EDMES club meeting tonight as it was the Cricket Club annual dinner. I got a cup for being the most valuable non-player (mending all the mowers)laugh

I know the feeling, I also get a mention at our CC dinner for similar services rendered. No cup but I always get a few free pints.

08/10/2019 11:18:18

Thanks Jim and you're welcome.

Here is another rotary table photo which shows how I machined a shoulder on the inside of the flanges.

The shoulder is for the hardwood cleading to sit on. The packing pieces are also hardwood.

I turned up some hardwood rings which I then split into segments and then jb welded to the cylinder. These were leveled at the same setting to the same height as the shoulders.

Geoff

20190708_114318.jpg

08/10/2019 11:03:28

Maybe I should drill & pin the bottom end shaft... thinking

Well if you were asking me George, pin them. Belt and braces job!!!!

I have some 1/16" panel pins which mike up at 0.061" perfect with a 1/16" drill and drop of loctite.

Nice work George

Geoff

07/10/2019 01:22:53

Hi Jim, (Nic)

I just noticed your earlier post 1/10 and see you have started the Muncaster oscillator. Good idea to have the frames laser cut, I know what you mean they were somewhat tedious to make, sawing filing etc.

This is how I started machining the cylinder casting.

1. I skimmed one end of the casting so it was reasonably square to the core hole. Then set the face plate up as shown in the next photo. The hole in the strap was drilled and bored in situ and is the same size as the spigot on the front of the casting, the pivot spigot.

20190204_090030.jpg

The spigot fits snugly in the hole and the casting is clamped to the angle plate as shown in the next photo. With the other spigot running as true as possible, the trunnion spigot, just take a light skim of the diameter, the end and also centre drill the end. don't skim the inner port face at this setting.

20190204_085226.jpg

Now hold the trunnion spigot in a collet or a grip true chuck and centre drill the pivot spigot. Using a half tailstock centre support the casting and skim the end of the spigot and also true up the diameter. Now hold the work between centres similar to the set up in the last photo, skim the trunnion spigot again and lightly face square the inner port face. Next set the casting up on an angle plate, port face down, and bore to size, 20mm diameter. also at this setting machine the casting to its final length 46mm ensuring that each end is an equal distance from the centre line of the trunnion.

20190401_162927.jpg

Mount the work between centres again and turn the trunnion to the correct diameter and face the inner port face so it is 19mm from the centre of the bore.

20190419_125328.jpg.The cylinder flanges can be turned to size with casting mounted on a 20mm mandrel as shown in the next photo.

20190424_100446.jpg.The brass or gun metal disc is jb welded to the inner port face.

20190608_105512.jpg

20190712_113215.jpg

Hope this is of some help Jim Geoff

04/10/2019 19:35:54

Hi Paul, nice work on the cylinder as Jason said that's a good start.

I'm following Jason's building methods but scaling his sizes down to approximately 3/4 full size.

As I didn't have a suitable piece of cast iron in stock for the cylinder so I decided to treat myself to a 10v cylinder which is just about the right size at 19mm stroke and bore. Got that machined up and have made the valve chest to Jason.s design. Also made some progress on the bearing blocks which were tricky to make as they are quite small.

20191004_184839.jpg

Still looking for a 3" flywheel and may use the 10v one which I have had for some time.

Jason I took note of your comments in the latest M.E. regarding the use of B.M.S. for the crosshead guides. It was a good point I assume the the cold roll steel is less stressed and thus not as liable to distort.

Once again some good machining ideas in the latest issue in particular the way you made the crankshaft.

Geoff

01/10/2019 16:04:37

What would be the options for a spiral flywheel in the UK Jason

Good luck with that rocking I can't find one at the usual suppliers.

I thought Reeves had one but can't see it on their website

Geoff

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
ChesterUK
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest