By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nathan Sharpe

Here is a list of all the postings Nathan Sharpe has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Static phase converter
18/12/2017 18:22:07

I was about to reply but realised I'd already done it on Madmodder!

Thread: Square socket chuck keys
18/12/2017 17:58:29

Michael, if nearer to exact size is required then all you need to do is remove the chrome, heat extension bar in the furnace equivalent of your choice and then" upset" it against the anvil. On the female end you would be reducing the internal size, on the male end you would increase the size. Finish with hand tools to your required size. A major advantage is that the tool would be softer than the, possibly vintage fastener. Nathan.

18/12/2017 17:15:27

A 1/2 " drive socket extension bar should do it, male and female on one tool. Nathan.

Thread: Metal finishing
15/12/2017 19:35:29

Ok I'll rejoin HMEM!! Thanks.

15/12/2017 18:57:46

Thanks Jason, does he still post on MEM? I do miss the forthright and sometimes grumpy old git's posts!!

15/12/2017 18:46:51

I was going to give John " Bogstandard" as a reference but he seems to have vanished? Shame really, I enjoyed his banter/good moods / bad moods, anyone know what he's up to?

Thread: Phase convertor problems
21/11/2017 18:22:54

John. I should have explained that the heater was there because I initially suspected a damp motor/workshop was to blame. I eventually took the Silverdrive apart , I found that a lot of switching was carried out by reed switches of unknown quality. These were replaced and all was fine until the also cheap pcb, cracked after 6 years. I replaced it with Transwave after too many repair sessions!

Clive. I've never had a moments hesitation from the Transwave from day one. The Harrison is still on it's original starter . If I have to do anything at all to start, I may have to adjust the boost/voltage control in cold weather. I wired the workshop and installed a circuit just for the lathe , no domestic light or power problems , my own installed VM shows voltages within the regs . Nathan.

20/11/2017 19:50:38

I have a Harrison L5 with the dual speed motor, it runs perfectly on my Transwave Static Converter as it did eventally on the original Silverdrive unit I bought. Have you set the selector switch correctly to give as close to motor voltage/slightly over? Do you keep the motor warm? I have a small tubular heater wall mounted next to the motor and it seems to help. This heater was fitted because initially the Silverdrive had the symptoms you describe. Nathan.

Edited By Nathan Sharpe on 20/11/2017 20:00:02

Thread: 5 ft diameter copper rings.
09/09/2017 19:31:07

Take it to a local steel playground/street furniture company. They may have a ring bender.

Thread: Where (apart from ebay) to look for a pillar drill base?
21/08/2017 18:48:31

Can you post a photograph please. I have the base and column off my old pillar drill but it's only 2 1/2 inch diameter. Both are fairly heavy but you're welcome to them if you want to try and make an internal adaptor for your column. Nathan.

Thread: 2040 deadline for Diesel and Petrol cars.
26/07/2017 19:34:49

Duncan , we still do generate from landfill gas. Of the 5000 odd registered landfill sites in the UK (most of which are no longer taking waste) about 2000 produce 14/16% of our energy and will do for about 15/20 years depending on the site in question. This energy should be classified as "Green" but politically is classified as "Fossil Fuel" energy. There is no subsidy paid to these sites to cover over generation shut down (the national grid cannot take the power) as there is to wind farms. It seems to me that gasification plants/incinerators are not the way ahead given that the majority of plants are having to import shiploads of Baltic and American softwood chip to initiate and maintain the burn so that our DAMP, not wet household waste can be burnt. At all UK plants output is much lower than predicted and in some cases will lead to shut down. This will not worry the plant owner because they ARE compensated for their system being unable to burn "waste that is beyond the moisture content that was agreed" and also paid to import softwood chip to maintain the political nonsense that said burning is better, they even place the sensors in a place that most people would not climb to inspect and instead rely on honest operators! At least in landfill inspection is easy and they can be monitored very closely without massive costs, their contents can even be recycled from the liquid (leachate) produced. I have just retired from 15 years worth of design and CQA work in this field and prior to that I designed leachate extraction systems for landfill. Nathan.

Thread: Electrifying a distant garage
26/06/2017 21:11:15

Sorry, I should have added that it's the cost at either end of the cable that will seem expensive ! Nathan.

26/06/2017 21:08:24

For what you want you can get away with 6mm/2 3core swa/pvc. That gives a 4.7% voltage drop at 65mtrs clipped direct or buried. Fitted in free air should be similar to clipped direct. Not vastly expensive if you fit the run yourself and are not living on pensions, it should cost about £2.80/mtr and £4.00 per gland pack. Nathan.

Thread: Help please Windows 10
16/06/2017 21:29:14

If I right click I get a slow computer which eventually goes to black screen and them redraws to desktop. I have had no major problems with Win 10 apart from printer networking from her laptop. Nathan.

16/06/2017 21:16:10

Can anyone help please? I'm a pump engineer NOT a computer geek so please do not doing a comparison between operating systems. I run my pc and her laptop on Win 10. My pc will no longer allow right click actions to take place , her laptop will. I have tried button priority with no positive result , I can see restore points but cannot reach them because they require RIGHT click. I am unable to use right for any action in any saved document or photo. I cannot even read the file exif data (photos). Can any of you help? Please. Nathan.

Thread: Telescope project
11/06/2017 22:28:01

Sorry Stuart, not enough info for something that impressive ! Could your "happy astronomer" inform us please? Nathan.

Thread: CO2 Mig welding bottle
07/06/2017 22:21:32

Hello again Brian, have you considered the BOC/Volkszone deal? Initial cost 2016 was £82.50 and this years invoice was rental only at £54.00. Refill cost is around £35 for a Y sized bottle. Nathan.

07/06/2017 22:10:24

Hi Brian, I don't know who in your area but most local/small/family run fire extinguisher service firms are worth phoning. They tend to decant/refill the extinguisher charge bottles themselves and (round here ) are happy to recharge after test or if the cylinder is still within it's test date. I used to use pub gas and had no problems with refilling. Nathan.

Thread: Citroen and his gears
01/06/2017 23:36:16

My best try is a two part rim/tyre construction pinned together and also fairly flimsy when looking at a collapsed tooth on the third gear from the left (foreground cluster) above centre line. Nathan.

Thread: Continuous use of a phase convertor.
15/05/2017 23:10:39

Evening all, I finally have the time to report on my end result. Our suppliers visited site, looked at what we had installed, laughed and went away. Now , nearly six weeks after their visit, a design arrived with their quote, for exactly what we had already installed! They even use the same inverters as us with external controls connected in the same way. We decided to decline their offer to build and install by the end of June and were horrified by the cost which was greater than 4 times our cost for a now working system. The inverters seem to have had component issues which are now solved , we were sent 2 FOC to fit and had our originals repaired, again FOC. Nathan.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Warco
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest