By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nathan Sharpe

Here is a list of all the postings Nathan Sharpe has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: wood turning
21/10/2018 19:50:16

Thanks to all. I've found what I needed at "AZCarbide", they have a range of inserts designed for/suitable for woodturning. Nathan.

Thread: Graham Meek - Mods to (copies of) Picador Drill Grinding Jigs
21/10/2018 19:39:54
Posted by Ady1 on 21/10/2018 18:54:58:

Welcome back to the nuthouse Graham

I'll second that, I really enjoyed the original thread on here. Nathan.

Thread: wood turning
19/10/2018 22:33:50

Phil, I've been a wood turner for many more years than I care to admit ! My Father taught me in the early sixties. Timbers used for this experiment would be English Walnut/ Sapele/ Honduras Mahogany/Burmese Teak and Cherry, all of which I have in store. I won't touch the Rosewood for the time being!! Nathan.

19/10/2018 22:27:41

Vic, thanks for your reply. I do have tools that use round inserts but these are manual. I could make tools for the tool post using the same inserts. Something to look at.

Mike, have you never turned cast iron? With wipers in place and shields over exposed screws clean-up is at least as easy and wood is less abrasive. As I said in the original post I do have and use manual tools on my L5, I just want to speed things up. Nathan.

19/10/2018 21:22:52

I seem to remember a thread recently about turning wood on an engineering lathe. I know that this is sacrilege to some people but !! Can anyone suggest suitable inserts for turning wood? I have manual turning tools but would like to speed things up a little. Cylindrical and shallow forms will be what I'm aiming for. Nathan.

Thread: Quality/Durability of milling cutters
17/10/2018 22:41:51

In answer to the question Jason posed, there are 3 ebay sellers( to my current knowledge) who list the re-ground size of their endmills/slot drills. All of these are carbide tools and are sold at acceptable prices, I've never bought a new carbide tool. I'll let you all find out for yourselves who they are so that they may have what I want before you all buy out their stock!! Most are known names of quality tooling but I've never been let down by even their "no name" offerings. For HSS I,ll use ARC for preference. Nathan.

Thread: Hum on phone.
26/08/2018 17:27:18

Thanks to all for your advice. I've ordered new phones and a new NTE5. Nathan.

25/08/2018 23:10:02

Hello all. While I accept that this is not Model Engineering , could anyone advise please. I have one NTE5 BT master socket with both line and ADSL on the faceplate , a MK2 Openreach unit. Infinity broadband works perfectly but the BT badged phones have so much hum on them that on speaker they are unusable. The hum fluctuates with the incoming voice , even using 1471 as a test this still occurs. I have removed the faceplate and sub plate on the socket to use the actual master socket and still get the same problem. The line has been checked by BT who report no fault on the line . The phones are all BT branded/badged and are compatible with each other. They consist of a base station with two sub,s and are all on the same ringmain for power. I can find no appliance on that ring that is causing the hum . My opinion is that the wall wart power supplies are on their way out and that the electronics are ageing , these phones are now five years old. I am intending to replace both the master socket and the phones . Would there be any advantage in also fitting ferrites to the wall wart cables to try to reduce any future appliance based hum ? Should I instead try to reduce any mains/earth induced hum on the appliances ? While these phones have fallen in price and replacement every few years is not a major outlay it does annoy me that they are failing. All advise will be useful. Nathan.

Thread: Material for gas gauge lens for riding mower.
02/06/2018 23:07:05

Jeff, a wooden dip would not work on a filling station! They are required , by law, to have a non variable material dip stick. When I was working on filling station installations the standard was a very accurate brass "T" shaped dip later modified to an even more accurate composite "T" shaped dip. Wood was never allowed because of natural movement in the material. Nathan.

Thread: Flat spring stainless steel ?
07/02/2018 18:44:57

Tim, it's available from " Thorne and Derrick " in the uk. Sizes look useful ! Nathan.

07/02/2018 18:40:07

Tim, I'm not sure about their available sizes but we used to use " Bandit" ss strapping on commercial pump hoses. as far as I know they are still in business. Nathan.

Thread: Continuous use of a phase convertor.
04/02/2018 17:34:20

Emgee and Jon. Thank you for your continued interest!

I do suspect the VFD's. Motor re configs we do every day . The guy that did the work for us is the son of a late friend and colleague who I would trust with any motor/panel job , knowing that he was trained by his father I'll trust his son's work to the same extent . We're being told by the pump supplier that these motors cannot be run in Delta but not why. From the dark depths of the past I have a vague memory that the gauge of wire in the coils may be the limiting factor? My idiot employer allowed both pump and VFD suppliers to talk to each other so now we get the same story for the VFD's . Given that our panel guy is self employed,as am I, my inclination is to throw the problem back to our employer who overrode our concerns about the reliability of the system . The client was advised by the idiot employer that 3ph was the way to go, not us. We're now going to install a 1ph system at added cost.

Nathan.

31/01/2018 23:46:57

This saga continues ! Both pumps are burnt out but both inverters are O/K. We had all six leads from the motors available to reconfigure ( no neutral point ) so phase to phase we still had 400v and phase to earth 230v . Has anyone come across a modern 3 ph motor that cannot be reconfigured between star and delta? Nathan.

Thread: Attachment value
31/12/2017 17:58:46

For a commercial price for a one off order look on Tony's site "Lathes.co.uk". I would like one but not at that price! That is more than a 1/10th of the price I paid 20+ years ago for the lathe. So like and need are different beasts! I've managed so far by using lathes owned by friend's , but it would be nice to find an affordable 127t . Nathan.

PS. I'm NOT knocking Tony!

Thread: How on earth do they calculate electricity and gas bills...
21/12/2017 22:24:04

According to OFGEN, Scottish Power are the worst of all of the domestic electricity suppliers in the UK.

21/12/2017 22:21:37

Scottish Power even admit this when you question their phone operators, and then instantly drop the DD amount when you question the amount of interest that Scottish Power are making on your in credit account.

21/12/2017 22:17:42

Neil, you miss the point. DD is for a FIXED amount. Electricity and gas companies use VARIABLE DD's and then make it very difficult for you to reduce the amount. Nathan.

Thread: Static phase converter
18/12/2017 18:22:07

I was about to reply but realised I'd already done it on Madmodder!

Thread: Square socket chuck keys
18/12/2017 17:58:29

Michael, if nearer to exact size is required then all you need to do is remove the chrome, heat extension bar in the furnace equivalent of your choice and then" upset" it against the anvil. On the female end you would be reducing the internal size, on the male end you would increase the size. Finish with hand tools to your required size. A major advantage is that the tool would be softer than the, possibly vintage fastener. Nathan.

18/12/2017 17:15:27

A 1/2 " drive socket extension bar should do it, male and female on one tool. Nathan.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Warco
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest