By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Roderick Jenkins

Here is a list of all the postings Roderick Jenkins has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 6" EME rotary table
03/05/2019 21:47:37

EME were importers of the unimat lathes, I rather suspect they were essentially badge engineers.

Rod

Thread: Help on a Matador four stroke engine build please.
01/05/2019 20:13:47
Posted by Kevan Gillings 3 on 26/04/2019 18:36:31:

do you have a photo of your motor ?

Kevan

Well, you did ask frown

matador kit.jpg

Needs a bit (!) of refurbishment. It used to run very nicely...

Rod

Thread: Does anyone know where I can source a Myford 34t change gear?
28/04/2019 14:07:19

Hi Brian,

I've extolled the virtue of the 33 and 34 tooth gears on this forum many times. My use of the word "cheat" (note the inverted commas) was to emphasise Myford's possible reluctance to provide them - neither are currently available.

Cheers,

Rod

28/04/2019 00:30:53
Posted by Karl Challis on 19/04/2019 21:17:26:

Brian.

Thanks for the offer for lending the cutter. However someone has kindly offered to make one for me. And all other help, muchly appreciated.

Curious as to the reason the particular 34T is so hard to get? Is it a really uncommon size?

33 and 34T were never part of the Myford change wheel set. All conceivable threads were available by other combinations. Other correspondents have commented in the past that the new Myford owners had no conception of what they could be used for but they do seem to have cottoned on to the demand. I wonder if John Stevenson made a batch for them, which have since run out. It is also worth bearing in mind that sales of these "cheat" gears would detract from sales of the official Myford metric conversion set.

Rod

Thread: cylinder end cap
27/04/2019 17:56:24

I'd make it as round as I can by hand, super glue it to a face plate and then creep up on it with a very sharp tool. A bit of warmth should break the glue joint.

HTH,

Rod

Edit:  Just like Dave really frown.  Mind you if  I had a bit of bar big enough to hold in the chuck I'd make it from that, as Nichols suggests wink

Edited By Roderick Jenkins on 27/04/2019 17:59:54

Thread: The Chocolate Fireguard as designed by Mercedes Benz
27/04/2019 08:35:41
Posted by Mark Rand on 26/04/2019 22:48:50:

Since everyone seems to be having a moan. Can I complain about the ever increasing number of complete arseholes that don't use their handbrake when stopped at junctions and traffic lights, but keep their foot on the brake pedal. Thereby shining their head-level brake lights into my face! angry

Probably, like me, they have a car with an automatic brake that applies itself in creeping traffic and automatically releases when you touch the accelerator. They probably don't even know that the brake lights are on when they use this function. If it's any consolation , I don't use mine at night.

Rod

Thread: Help on a Matador four stroke engine build please.
26/04/2019 15:06:44

Kevan,

For my single Matador I bought my 45 degree helical gears from HPCgears.com. What gears does the twin Matador call for?

HTH,

Rod

Thread: Sort of like a guitar...
22/04/2019 10:09:36

Very smart indeed. What are the back and sides made from? It looks a bit like koa which would bring us back to the Uke.

thumbs up

Rod

Thread: Thread confusion
21/04/2019 10:52:34

I have no problem fitting the 34t gear on the unmodified banjo on my 70s S7B.

And, credit where credit's due, this is really the Reverend David Hoskins' method back in ME 3955.

cheers,

Rod

20/04/2019 11:31:58

You chaps might like this on YouTube:

Link

Edited By Roderick Jenkins on 20/04/2019 11:33:53

Thread: How to level BOTH the Myford cabinet and the lathe bed?
20/04/2019 10:00:53

There is an argument that the STAND should be set up so that the headstock end, where the drain hole is located, should be slightly lower than the tailstock end if you use coolant.

Rod

Edited By Roderick Jenkins on 20/04/2019 10:05:59

19/04/2019 23:30:38

Sadly, I don't play the viol. I made it for the son of a work colleague a few decades ago and it came back to me fairly recently by a strange and circuitous route. I do manage to knock out a few renaissance tunes on my lutes. Mind you, if I ever finish the Chitaronne I should be able to trump you on "how low can you go?"

chit bowl.jpg

It's supposed to end up looking like this:

chittaronie.jpg

What tuning do you use on your Ukibass?

Rod

19/04/2019 17:27:34

If we're showing off...

I've got a bass guitar:

classical guitars.jpg

and another 6 string bass as well

bass viol.jpg

smiley

Rod

Thread: Cam Calc
19/04/2019 16:06:17

Chaps,

CamCalc was originally my program, written in GWBasic and published in SIC. Model Engineering News picked it up and Ron Chernich wrote the web friendly version. I have written a version for EXCEL which is available from my Dropbox here

If you do not have EXCEL on your computer then the program works fine on the free version of EXCEL available via Microsoft's OneDrive. Most of the program also runs on Google Sheets but the cam drawing bit doesn't work so you can't see if the parameters you have entered give a nonsensical solution.

camcalc excel screenshot.jpg

Feel free to PM me if you require any more info.

HTH,

Rod

Thread: Folding Bike design & build
10/04/2019 20:45:30

One of the problems with small wheels is hysteresis losses in the tyres so you need to overcome this with high pressures. Alex Moulten overcame this problem by introducing suspension. With the design above I forsee a rather uncomfortable ride with the upright seating position above the rear wheel.

Rod

Thread: Moving from Warco WM180 to a Myford ML7B ?
10/04/2019 20:33:52

I don't think there is any problem with either machine making components within its capacity, the difference is in the capacity and the ease of use and, perhaps, feel. The original question referred to an ml7B (i.e with a gearbox) which might make the Myford more convenient than a wm180.

Rod

09/04/2019 20:16:02

The major difference is the abilty to swing 10" in the gap and 20" between centres. The back gear helps to deal with the large diameters. The other plus for the Myford is the availability of accessories and/or kits and plans to make them yourself. These things may or may not be important to you.

R

Thread: Folding Bike design & build
09/04/2019 19:52:32

That's very neat. As a folding bike owner I appreciate many of the issues you have overcome. What is the transmission system/ratios?

Cheers,

Rod

Thread: Natural gas for TIG welding
01/04/2019 11:30:46

Haven't you noticed the date guys 😎

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
31/03/2019 19:42:44
Posted by Peter Spink on 31/03/2019 17:50:46:

Do you get any 'flap' with such a long belt?

Belt flap seems well controlled even when working hard. I put this down to very low stretch, good flexibility and good wrap around the pulley ( unlike the round flexithane belt on my new milling spindle, I need to make a bigger belt cover sad)

Rod

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Meridienne Sept 2019
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Advertise With Us
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest