By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Roderick Jenkins

Here is a list of all the postings Roderick Jenkins has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Communication
18/01/2021 06:00:10

I've been very happy with a 1byeone doorbell. Many options available, we have a plug in unit as the main house doorbell and a battery repeater in the workshop. Other wireless bells we have had have been plagued by spurious rings from random wireless pickup but the 1byeone is immune.

Rod

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
17/01/2021 17:25:23

I finished the level today:

p level 1.jpg

I was fortune to have in my collection a thin brass tube that was a nice snug fit over the thicker tube into which the vial is mounted with the traditional plaster of paris.

p level 2.jpg

p level 23jpg.jpg

Not sure what I'll do with it now - probably put it in a drawer and forget about it.

Stay well,

Rod

Thread: Tubal Caine Wenceslas
15/01/2021 11:35:07
Posted by Tony Wright 1 on 15/01/2021 11:29:26:

Hello lads ,my latest build .Tubal Caine Wenceslas . The designe is in book 2 simple model steam engines. No castings where used (far to expensive !) hope you approve ?

best regards Tony Wright.

I do smiley. Nice work.

Rod

Thread: Henry Greenly Model Engineering
15/01/2021 11:30:45

Is it "Model Engineering - a guide to model workshop practice"? If so I have a facsimile reprint and can let you have jpegs of the index.

HTH,

Rod

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
14/01/2021 22:42:37
Posted by Howard Lewis on 14/01/2021 20:05:25:

If anything, I would have expected the casting to deflect at the ends (Being slightly less stiff because of the taper at the end of the central rib )

In which case the ends would spring back UP to leave a depression in the middle.

Those were certainly my thoughts.  I should have made it clear that it is the travel on my X axis that is stiff at the ends. 

The info that you sent me shows a lot of superfluous machining on the casting but, being from College Engineering Supplies, I guess it was originally intended more as a machining exercise for a student. I'll be going my own way surprise

Rod

Edited By Roderick Jenkins on 14/01/2021 22:47:56

14/01/2021 19:18:58

Nigel,

I think that's a good analysis. The casting is pretty much at the limit of the travel on my X axis and is stiff at both ends.

Cheers,

Rod

14/01/2021 17:36:31

I've put the wood away and, to get myself back into the swing of machining metal, I thought I'd spend a couple of days making the precision level whose base casting has been hanging around in the workshop for the last thirty years. The only recent purchase was the vial from Amazon.

ces level 0.jpg

ces level 1.jpg

Has a slight hump in the middle after milling which I don't really understand.

ces level2.jpg

An hour or so scraping has left it flat enough

ces level 3.jpg

Stay well,

Rod

Thread: Coronavirus death stats
14/01/2021 15:33:22

As Bill say, it's the excess deaths that give us the best picture:

excess deaths graph.jpg

Not all excess deaths are necessarily directly attributable to Covid 19, could be as a result of delayed medical attention but still a result of the pandemic.

Stay well,

Rod

Thread: Back issues & Flash plugin
12/01/2021 16:07:35

Just tried looking at the MEW archive in Firefox. Clicked on a an older issue and it asked me if I wanted to run Flash. Clicked yes and it took me to an Adobe site that said, amongst other stuff, this:

"Since Adobe will no longer be supporting Flash Player after 31 December 2020 and Adobe will block Flash content from running in Flash Player beginning 12 January 2021, Adobe strongly recommends all users immediately uninstall Flash Player to help protect their systems."

That seems to that. As I only have a digital subscription to enable access to the back numbers then that's a revenue stream that MTM will be losing from me sad.

Rod

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2021
12/01/2021 15:52:03

Well, here we are, the first entry of 2021:

no11 front.jpg

I've brought my musical instrument making bang up to date (well, middle of the 20th Century anyway). Steel strung guitar, Alpine spruce front, Indian rosewood back and sides and Pau abalone inlay. This is the first time I've installed metal frets on an instrument. I've had 2 goes and still not really happy but I'll see how it settles down, still some action tweaking to do. Sounds quite loud and bassy.

No more woody stuff in the pipeline, its back to engine building. Promise.

Stay well,

Rod

Thread: MEW 300 IS HERE !
11/01/2021 21:42:27

300 only came through the door this morning here in Dorset so I think we probably need to understand that the Post are having difficulties at the moment.

Stay well,

Rod

Thread: Look out, here comes a woodturner
06/01/2021 20:00:52
Posted by Tony Wright 1 on 06/01/2021 18:34:46:

What next ? Today’s post how to milk a cow using a milking machine made in a shed !

Amazing! How did you know? I'm writing it now. Shall I send it to ME or MEW?

Best wishes,

Rod

06/01/2021 14:57:36

Oh dear, time to 'fess up to another unfinished projectblush

nb1.jpg

Started a very long time ago, based on instruments described in Cocks and Bryan. The various ferrules were made from nickel silver sheet - annealed and rolled round a former then bound with a couple of pieces of iron wire to keep the edges together while silver soldering. The ferrules were then rammed back on a mandrel for polishing.

nb2.jpg

The ferrules looked fine when new but over time the silver solder discolours, leaving a dark line.

nb3.jpg

I think a thin coat of nickel plating will sort that out. These drones are ebony and the "ivory" fittings are some sort of plastic sold as a substitute back in the '80s. I have a length of African Blackwood waiting to be made into a 7 key chanter and I've amassed a collection of old EPNS cutlery for converting into keys. Perhaps I'll actually get round to finishing the set some time.

Anyway, welcome Calum and I look forward to reading about your progress.

Stay well,

Rod

Thread: College Engineering Supplies Spirit Level
30/12/2020 16:24:03

Once again this forum demonstrates its friendship and helpfulness.

Thanks Howard, for the really useful information.

Happy New Year everyone,

Rod

30/12/2020 13:48:29

Howard,

Thank you for your offer, PM sent.

Cheers,

Rod

30/12/2020 11:50:15

Hi Folks,

Does any body have a picture of a completed CES level please. I have had the c.i. casting for the last 30 odd years and thought I might have ago at machining it. I could probably buy the drawings from CES but a picture will be sufficient to see if it differs from a standard M&W or Starrett machinists level.

Cheers,

Rod

Thread: Flowering Plant Identification
28/12/2020 16:29:56

Chris,

That's the one. Thank you very much. It seems to be rather tender so presumably not much planted in the UK.

My faith in the forum is confirmed smiley

Stay well,

Rod

28/12/2020 12:47:37

I know we have a very broad range of interests apart from engineering on this unique forum so I'm confident somebody in the collective can identify this shrub which was in our garden when we moved in 2 years ago:

fp1.jpg

fp2.jpg

The foliage is soft and feathery. It usually start flowering after Christmas. The flowers start off white and become pink over time. It seems to be thriving in sandy soil, not far from the sea in Dorset. Can't find it in any of our reference books.

Cheers,

Rod

Thread: Oil proof brush?
18/12/2020 21:14:59

My solution to the problem was a set of these:

**LINK**

Harris 100% natural bristle brushes.

Rod

Thread: Lidl Portable Bandsaw
13/12/2020 22:50:40

My Lidl one is fine smiley

Rod

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest