By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Roderick Jenkins

Here is a list of all the postings Roderick Jenkins has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Surplus subjects learnt at school.
19/07/2019 18:48:12

Until the the late sixties you had to have Latin 'o' level if you wanted to go to Oxford or Cambridge. It would have been a pity to constrain your choice if you didn't have it wink

Rod

Thread: Crystal Ball Gazing
19/07/2019 09:50:18

Quote from Wikipaedia:

"Proxy measurements can be used to reconstruct the temperature record before the historical period. Quantities such as tree ring widths, coral growth, isotope variations in ice cores, ocean and lake sediments, cave deposits, fossils, ice cores, borehole temperatures, and glacier length records are correlated with climatic fluctuations. From these, proxy temperature reconstructions of the last 2000 years have been performed for the northern hemisphere, and over shorter time scales for the southern hemisphere and tropics."

Rod

Edit -  beaten by 1s!

Edited By Roderick Jenkins on 19/07/2019 09:52:02

Thread: Giberalter Toolpost
19/07/2019 00:00:38
Posted by Mark Rand on 18/07/2019 22:28:24:

The residents of the rock, And the late Tom Walshaw might prefer it if folks referred to the Gibraltar tool post by its correct name. cheeky

Edited By Mark Rand on 18/07/2019 22:28:36

blush

Thread: TTFN
18/07/2019 19:28:56

Well, that's a shame. Please don't be a stranger for too long.

Rod

Thread: Giberalter Toolpost
17/07/2019 12:07:08

The Gibralter Toolpost is also detailed in Tubal Cain's book "Simple Workshop Devices"

Rod

Thread: A few newbie questions, sorry
16/07/2019 12:18:14

Question 2,

I think best practise is to have the faces with the bolt holes mating. On 4 jaw (independent) chucks the bolt holes are towards the middle which means that a smaller backplate than the chuck diameter can be used. With the 3 jaw chuck the bolt holes have to be around the periphery to avoid the scroll. The caveat is that this applies to screw on chucks.

HTH,

Rod

Thread: What started your interest?
16/07/2019 11:54:47

I started making musical instruments as a hobby in my twenties. I then thought I would get a lathe to make some musical instrument making tools. It was just a downward spiral from then on...

Rod

Thread: Any other bowmakers on here?
15/07/2019 22:11:30

Mike,

I drilled the hole for the screw on my bows by poking the stick down the headstock and rotating it held in a self-centering 4 jaw chuck. However, my bows didn't have a camber. At what stage do you bend your sticks?

Mark,

I see that Mimusops seems to more generally known by the name of Manikara these days. It was definitely sold to me as Beefwood and I see that one of the common names for the Manikara Huberi is the Cow Tree so it would not seem unreasonable that it produces Beefwood - such is the timber trade. You can only really go by the botanical name if you want to accurately know what you are buying - even if they do keep changing those angry

Cheers,

Rod

15/07/2019 15:56:33

Hi Mike,

I've been away from the internet in Mull for the last week or so and have come late to the discussion. I've made a few "historical " bows in the past to go with the Viols and Baroque style violins and violas that I had a go at making. These bows were rather less sophisticated than the modern Tourte bow with a simpler frog and a positive camber caused by the hair tension which, in the case of the viol bows, is adjusted while playing using the fingers in an underhand grip. Although Snakewood seemed to be the go to wood for earlier bows I could never justify the expense - this bow was made from Partridgewood.

bow head 2.jpg

I used to buy my tonewood from Maurice Bouette at the Newark school. I never met him but used to receive charming hand written letters discussing my requirements. Some years (decades really!) ago I was buying some supplies at Timberline. They reckoned that many modern bows were made from Beefwood (Mimusops Huberi) and sold me two baulks of the stuff for a very reasonable price compared with Pernambuco. It's a bit denser than Pernambuco and a bit darker but produces a nice shiny finish with wet'n'dry.

Nice to have you aboard,

Rod

Thread: Cast iron - 160mm dia
05/07/2019 17:41:23

Comparing the material properties may be interesting but I suspect that the real reason is that c.i. can be easily cast with a nice boss on the back.

Rod

Thread: Easy Button Die Storage Solution
20/06/2019 10:30:45

Worked for me for the last 20 years

dies

Rod

Thread: Clock Domes (and display cases)
19/06/2019 11:52:46

Interesting link. Thanks,

Rod

Thread: Is CAD for Me?
09/06/2019 12:29:18

As far as I understand it, Fusion 360 is free to home users and start up companies and there is no time limit. While I understand the suspicions of some that this free availability is just a ruse to drag you in to the Autodesk fold before starting to charge but there is an alternative view that Autodesk know that home users will not stump up the money for a full commercial product so they have nothing to loose.

Fusion 360 is very much based on a 2D drawing model: Draw the plan in 2D and extrude the plan to make the 3D shape. As has been mentioned before, Paul McWhorter takes you through these steps very simply in his YouTube videos **LINK**

Whatever happens to the future of Fusion 360 or Alibre ( it does has a chequered history) I don't think any effort invested in these programs will be wasted since the overall concepts are the same.

Rod

Thread: WT2527 15cc Glow Engine
08/06/2019 21:02:00

Excellent, very nicely done.

yes

Rod

Thread: Myford/ Drummond M Type chuck back plate.
08/06/2019 12:03:00

I don't think the clover plate needs to be made with extreme accuracy: It just needs to resist sufficient pressure to ensure that each jaw is firmly seated against the scroll, taking up the backlash.

Rod

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2019
06/06/2019 17:12:52

Very nice. Looking forward to a video of it going.

Rod

Thread: Minnie 1"
06/06/2019 16:53:50

James,

I don't know if you are aware but I believe it is usual these days to use some oversize rivets on the firebox sides to act as anchors for the horn cheeks. This photo from Jason's album shows what I mean

**LINK**

Rod

Thread: Quicksilver
04/06/2019 17:11:26

High vacuum diffusion pumps used to use large volumes of mercury. There were regular stories ( all apocryphal I'm sure ) about people trying to steal some from our establishment and being caught by security on the exit gate. They usually involved a push bike frame being filled with mercury and then being dropped and being too heavy to pick up or the bike falling apart because the mercury had dissolved the spelter joining the lugs to the tubes.

Rod

Thread: Is CAD for Me?
04/06/2019 12:25:01
Posted by ANDY CAWLEY on 03/06/2019 19:16:55:

Fusion advice, look for Paul McWhorter, i think I’ve spelt it right, on utube.

+1 for Paul McWhorter **LINK**. The problem I used to have with various 3D CAD programs was determining where I was in the drawing space. Fusion 360 made that very straightforward and I've gotten by but just watching the first couple of Mr McWhorter's videos has taught me loads about making the whole process easier.

Rod

Edited By JasonB on 04/06/2019 16:06:56

Thread: Warrington Model Engineering Developments
03/06/2019 18:02:31

yes

Rod

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
Meridienne Sept 2019
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest