By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Roderick Jenkins

Here is a list of all the postings Roderick Jenkins has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Macro-photography
04/07/2020 13:12:14

Didn't really need much magnification for this beast:

stag beetle.jpg

A female Stag Beetle wandering over our deck.

Stay well,

Rod

Thread: Neil Hemingway Kits
04/07/2020 13:02:32

Here's my Worden table:

worden scale.jpg

The tenths lines look like they have been punched by a chisel tool and the tens by a slightly bigger tool on a larger radius. The numbers were added by me using, if I remember correctly, a jig suggested by Tony.

The Worden is named after Worden Park in Leyland where the Leyland Society of Model Engineers have their track.

Stay well,

Rod

Thread: Lamp Post Engine
04/07/2020 09:47:24

Great fun and nicely executed yes

Rod

Thread: Perfecto 5” hand shaper
30/06/2020 19:14:16

Excellent, much nicer than the original would have been yes

Rod

Thread: Reverse Sewing Machine Motor?
28/06/2020 10:09:08

These guys supply 120W motors that run in a clockwise direction **LINK**. I use one to drive a milling spindle

cc2.jpg

My solution to driving the pillar tool drill was a cheap grinder with the stones removed

pillar tool drill.jpg

Now I have my tool post milling spindle I may well transfer the sewing machine motor to the Pillar tool for a more compact set up

Stay well,

Rod

Thread: Brian's Horizontal Stirling Engine
26/06/2020 10:49:30

Excellent! yes

Rod

Thread: Machining internal thread
25/06/2020 23:19:39

Depends whether it is Imperial (55 degrees) or American (60 degrees). From your Zeus tables, find the depth of thread for any 12 tpi thread which is 53 thou for Imperial or 51 thou for American. Double this and subtract it from your 4.5 inches.

That's the way I would do it.

Rod

Thread: Press Button Oilers?
25/06/2020 22:37:54

Mike,

The Press Parts gun works very well for Myford oiling

**LINK**

Stay well,

Rod

Thread: Change to the Code of Conduct
24/06/2020 11:30:50

I may be weird but I actually like the format of this forum. I find it much easier to use than, for example, the Model Engine Maker forum which, I think, uses a commercially available solution. I don't have any of the problems that others have suggested on my W10 PC, Android tablet or Android phone.

Rod

Thread: Pulley Sizes For An X2 Clone Conversion
24/06/2020 11:14:05

William,

It is a lot less faff making a poly V pulley than for a normal A series V belt. For these:

mill poly v.jpg

I set the topslide to be parallel to the lathe axis and just fed in for each groove with a 40 degree form tool. The topslide was moved by the appropriate amount for each groove using the topslide dial. The belt is J form, 6 ribs. I think 4 ribs would be adequate for your purpose. Another advantage, to me at any rate, is that I don't have to slacken off the tension to change the belt on the pulley but that may just be because I have a large distance between the centres. However, you don't need a lot of movement to disengage the belt.

Stay well,

Rod

22/06/2020 11:51:58

Poly V will allow you to use much smaller pulleys than a single V.

This is the drive system as supplied on my Coronet  wood turning lathe.  The smallest drive pulley is 22mm OD

wl pulley.jpg

Rod

Edit to add pic.

Edited By Roderick Jenkins on 22/06/2020 12:00:41

Thread: Weeds in a 'lawn'
21/06/2020 11:09:15

Fox and Cubs. We used to mow round the occasional one that turned up in our lawn. I would cherish them.

Stay well,

Rod

20/06/2020 14:45:20
Posted by ega on 20/06/2020 14:18:57:

I've taken note of your way of locking the the clapper box. Is yours like mine in the way it is attached to the tool slide? (See my post above timed 09:01:12 where I mistakenly referred to "tool slide" when I meant clapper box.)

Valid point yes. The pivot pin is fairly large in diameter and a good fit in its hole so that takes much of the stress but a screw fastening the clapper box to the slide under the clapper would be beneficial for working in reverse mode.

Cheers,

Rod

Thread: UNF reducing bush
20/06/2020 13:33:11

Have you tried searching for adapter rather than reducing bush?

Rod

20/06/2020 13:20:23

When using my Perfecto to slot a keyway in a gear I have to cut on the backstroke otherwise there is a tendency to dig in. I have added a screw with a tapered end that locks the clapper shut:

shaper slotting.jpg

Stay well,

Rod

Thread: Stuart 10V Build Log - Complete Beginner...
18/06/2020 13:35:48

Those of us from a sciency background would use a tube clamp:

tube clamp.jpg

Rod

Thread: Pesky Government Announcement!
18/06/2020 12:20:49

Blimey lads! I've been wondering what's brought on all this mithering? However, it's becoming clear now that it all has its origins in Yorkshire - so that explains it wink.

Stay well chaps,

Rod (a southern softie, born and bred)

18/06/2020 11:55:44

It was good of John to go to the trouble of measuring and drawing his ball handle. Mine is quite rusty and needs cleaning up but every time I look at it I am offended by its sheer ugliness, perhaps because the balls are not actually spheres, as shown in John's photo.

Tubal Cain gave us some proportions for nice looking ball handles:

ball handle props.jpg

Stay well,

Rod

Thread: Can summer car tyres be used in winter?
17/06/2020 17:47:51
Posted by Alan Vos on 17/06/2020 17:27:48:

A few years ago, when the original Hankook tyres on a car wore out, following an icy winter, I replaced them with Michelin CrossClimate.

We've done the same on our Kodiaq 4x4. Not really necessary down here on the Dorset coast you may think but we take the car to the snowy Alps twice a year. They behave impecably in snow and ice and are alpine certified so no need to fit chains when the police stop you at the bottom of mountain passes. Doesn't appear to be a down side in terms of wear or noise and they were only slightly more than a normal premium tyre.

Stay well,

Rod

Thread: Stuart 10V Build Log - Complete Beginner...
16/06/2020 13:08:45

If I remember correctly the slide valve used to be supplied as a hot pressed brass or bronze component that only needed to have the face flattened. I guess that the current ST owners try to replicate this with a lump of metal machined from bar stock.

Stay well,

Rod

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Allendale Electronics
Warco
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest