By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Roderick Jenkins

Here is a list of all the postings Roderick Jenkins has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: shoe sole glue
16/08/2018 11:34:02

Shoe Goo is very good. It will even build up worn heels if you make a dam with some insulating tape.

HTH,

Rod

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
12/08/2018 21:59:16

Posted by Andrew Johnston on 12/08/2018 21:47:43:

... At least I'll be able to say it's me wot made it, instead of buying a casting.

thumbs up That is very important

Rod

12/08/2018 18:05:09

Andrew,

I think you are wise to try out on a bit of ally first. My attempts at this sort of thing with a 1mm cutter were a bit disappointing, the lack of sharp corners, particularly on the "N"s showed up rather badly. My thought was to go around again with a pukka engraving cutter but I really run out of the necessary speed on my little CNC mill.

Gòod luck,

Rod

Thread: Some beginner questions regarding knurling tools
10/08/2018 16:54:15

The first thing I would do with a small lathe is to put it into back gear, you will need lots of torque. My usual technique with a scissor knurl is to start with only a third of the tool width clamping on the job. I introduce the tool to the job and adjust the wheels so that they are finger tight on the diameter of the job. I then withdraw the tool and tighten the tool by about a quarter turn. Switch on the lathe and then advance the tool with the cross slide. This should produce a good pattern. Once the pattern is set then the tool can be advanced towards the headstock with the leadscrew.

HTH,

Rod

Thread: Issue 269 Temperature Controller Article
10/08/2018 11:02:32

I've given up using the degree symbol. In the context of model engineering or, indeed, everyday life 200C or 300F are unlikely to be confused with 200 Coulombs or 300 Farads.

Rod

Thread: 3D printed Telescope
07/08/2018 11:05:10

Impressed indeed. What is the white tube?

I like the book , by the way. **LINK**

Rod

Thread: Are you a Man or a Mouse When Milling?
06/08/2018 16:54:45

eek eek!

😀

Rod

Thread: My Traction Engine Model
06/08/2018 11:40:49

I like it. I've voted and hope it does well. I was pleasantly surprised how keen my niece was to make the Lego kits I've bought her. Not sure if it has the draw of a Millenium Falcon though.

Good Luck,

Rod

Thread: Hand files for aluminium
05/08/2018 16:46:43

As far as I can make out, Dreadnought files have have curved teeth and Millenicut files have straight teeth. Both seem to be available **LINK** There was also the Aven (then Sandvik?) Trimatool. Doesn't look like these are available anymore though.

Rod

Edit:  although it does look like Tome do something similar according to Jason's link

Edited By Roderick Jenkins on 05/08/2018 16:51:36

Thread: Extra axis on lathe?
02/08/2018 21:39:53

One way and another I use a milling spindle on the lathe quite a lot.

mil.jpg

ej2.jpg

gear 8.jpg

rj-milling-spindle-1.jpg

Sometimes it is more convenient to use this method than the milling machine but there are cases where the job can't be done on the mill.

Rod

Thread: Myford Taper Turning Attachement
02/08/2018 10:45:21

Bill,

I've sent you a PM,

Cheers,

Rod

Thread: Westbury Wyvern IC Engine - Advice Please
30/07/2018 16:15:39

Hi Nick,

it's worth bearing in mind that the original design for the Wyvern was based on using bronze and cast iron castings. Presuming you are thinking of getting the castings from Hemingway, in which case the c.i. will be replaced by ally, except for the flywheels. This is not really a problem except that the exhaust valve seat is directly in the head casting - fine in c.i. but not favourite in cast ally. Most of us who have built Wyverns have used a separate valve insert for the exhaust that is similar to the inlet. If you want to see how many mistakes it is possible to make when building a Wyvern you might find my build log over on ModelEngineMaker instructive **LINK**. You might have to register to see the pics. It turned out OK in the end though.

HTH,

Rod

Thread: And no-one noticed...
24/07/2018 21:56:35

We did notice, Firefox now automatically logs in. You said it would happen and it did. If you need a pat on the head consider it done. smiley

Rod

Thread: Pickle
21/07/2018 20:22:43
Posted by KWIL on 21/07/2018 20:03:43:

Buy drain cleaner, this one is 91% sulphuric acid.

**LINK**

Where from? All sulphuric acid products in my local hardware store have been taken off the shelves and replaced by a notice explaining the recent changes in UK law.

Rod

21/07/2018 19:05:41

This guy reckons you can use sodium hydrogen sulphate for anodising as well. **LINK**

Rod

Thread: A workholding question
16/07/2018 23:10:13

Robin,

I'd make a split collet that can be held in a 3 jaw chuck. Most 3 jaw chucks have good repeatability so if the collet is machined in the chuck and the orientation of the collet with respect to a particular jaw is noted and the same socket is used to tighten the chuck then there is a good chance of being able to turn the job around with acceptable concentricity.

HTH,

Rod

Thread: Where are my pages?
16/07/2018 11:55:46

Page 46 seems to be numbered as 44. The real page 44 is all advert and doesn't have a number on the page, like all the full page adverts. Content seems to flow OK so I don't think anything is missing.

Rod

Thread: New application of Mole Grips
14/07/2018 21:44:26

Try this one instead **LINK**

This guy is a true nerd, more power to his elbow 😁

I distinctly remember seeing the sign by the M4 in Wales. Is it still there?

Rod

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
14/07/2018 17:32:15

Interesting article on the global spectacles market in The Guardian **LINK**

Rod

Thread: Buying a lathe
12/07/2018 19:38:29

It's worth bearing in mind that lathes aimed at the home market ( new or s/h ) are designed to be versatile and have a range of affordable accessories readily available. This may not be the case with an ex-industrial or training lathe.

Rod

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Expo Tools July 14
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Sarik
Shapiro
SPG Tools October Seventeen
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition