By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for CHRIS WOODS 1

Here is a list of all the postings CHRIS WOODS 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 1:50 Scale Road Traction Living Van
08/12/2018 18:04:45

Have a look at Duncans Models site. They have a kit for 1/43 road van, 3-man, ostensibly for a steam roller. They are usually at 0-gauge and other model railway shows. They're in Salisbury.

Thread: Injector Testing Valve
23/08/2018 12:48:45

Testing Injectors, W. A. Carter. Model Engineer 15 August 1975. Volume 141, no. 3519, pages 818, 819, & 792.

Thread: Help dating stuart s50 engine
25/07/2018 09:42:12

I have recently refurbished three S50 engines obtained in a very poor condition. Two are awaiting assembly. All had the cylinder and steam chest cast as one piece and the circular crank disc. The crank discs had to be cut off to remove the shaft as this cannot be pulled out due to the construction of the bedplate casting. It became clear that using new cranks of the shaped design allowed removal of the crank and axle assembly.

Thread: Flashing red LED lights
17/06/2018 15:31:29

The number I bought against is too far in the past to appear in my history but try 263298520520 in Littlehampton. That £2.99 may even be for three. A search for cycle rear lights will show lots of these & others. The Chinese suppliers are usually cheaper but take a while to deliver of course.

17/06/2018 11:58:11

They are of course bicycle rear lights,had mine on ebay from China.

Thread: Myford lathe headstock wick oiling ystem?
16/03/2018 13:19:45

Yep.

Thread: Anyone feel the earthquake?
17/02/2018 21:28:09

I certainly felt it, the epicentre was reckoned to be about 20km NNE of Swansea so must have been about 6 or 7 km from my home. The event lasted up to a few seconds and at first I thought it was a nearby quarry blasting but this was much worse. There is also a main road at the front of the house and I checked to see if a large truck had demolished the boundary wall. A friend phoned and told me it was a quake.

With all the rain we have been having the ground is waterlogged, this is S.Wales after all, so. the effect was made worse.

Thread: Myford bearing spacer
14/01/2017 09:53:07

When I did the belt replacement on the mandrel of my ML7R last year I had the rattling noise (I call it 'burbling' coming from the thrust bearings. This was certainly down to excess oil & although I guessed it would go away eventually it was so annoying I instead elected to remove the mandrel again & clean the bearings using a cleaning spray in-situ. I then used a small amount of good quality grease in each bearing - a blob about the size of a fingertip, not more. Everything settled down & ran smoothly Now I only very sparingly put oil into the thrust bearings & I have removed the almost useless grease or oil nipple & simply fitted a 2BA knurled screw in its place so I can see that I'm just putting in one or two drops.

I also decided to oil the bearings in my Fobco Star bench drill only to experience the same burbling sound, although in that case it went fairly quickly as excess oil seems to drain away better on the drill, presumably due to the spindle being vertical.

Thread: Colour codes on bar steel stock
05/07/2016 12:15:11

Different suppliers use their own colour codes although there are some similarities. This caused difficulties in the two mechanical engineering firms where I was Quality Manager. Ultimately the only solution to ensuring the correct material would be selected for a particular job was to overpaint our own in-house colours onto the bar (and also write the material type on them, e.g. EN8, EN16T, etc.). Our colour charts were displayed in various places and any obtained from the various suppliers were held for reference but not issued.

Thread: Dewhurst Switch
18/02/2016 17:08:21

Was the original ​question asked by Jason ever resolved? Can Harry advise if the Chinese green reverser switch he linked to is O.K. for single phase & if so, was wiring it done readily?

Thread: Antique oil can
29/04/2014 17:26:37

That is a Kayes oil can. A quick search on the web provides a lot of info on the Company and often used items for sale of their various types.

The other company that produced oil cans/feeders in significant quantities was Braime of Leeds. Again a search will tell you all about them.

29/04/2014 10:31:41

This is the one I have, identical to yours, which I bought at a model engineering show a few years ago.

Looks like someone has forced off the valve (it doesn't just screw off) and this would have to be remade, preferably in stainless to match the plated remainder. Without wrecking this or a similar Valvespout oil can the inside is something of a mystery. As there are plenty of different types of Valvespout oil cans around with the same type of valve (usually in plain brass finish) you might find a 'beaten up' old one, remove the whole spout and with the aid of a simply-turned adaptor piece on the stem fit it to your incomplete can. Don't bother with solder because of the plating -bond it instead.

29/04/2014 10:15:37

valvespout 1.jpg

Thread: Pressure Gauges
27/02/2014 11:36:36

Polly model engineering and Blackgates eng. both show 1/2" dia. pressure gauges in their online catalogues. The lowest pressure range goes up to 80psi. I bought one for a Roundhouse 'Bertie' garden railway loco.

I don't think you will find a lower range gauge in that size.

Thread: Sweet Little 1/2" Micrometer
05/12/2013 17:27:34

You can get mini micrometers from MSC Industrial Supply Ltd. (UK) . The manufacturer is SPI and they are good quality & presented in little wooden boxes. Price is around £19 each.

SPI no. 13-790-1 MSC no. SPU-13790K 0-0.6" 0.001" divs.

SPI no. 13-604-4 MSC no. SPU-13606B 0-15mm 0.01mm divs.

Thread: Warwickshire Show.
19/10/2013 09:34:37

I visited on Friday and the severe overcrowding was particularly unpleasant this year.

Some of the trade stand holders are so unprofessional it's incredible, one stayed on his wretched mobile phone for ages while I was waiting to make a purchase and was ill-tempered with another customer. Short-changed by another. Some of them are just plain oafish and shouldn't be let out. Also, traders please note, there's a difference between passing-on knowledge and being a 'know-it-all' especially when you clearly DON'T. You should take note you might be dealing with someone who knows more about something than you. Probably the case when you consider the general age of visitors to model engineering shows.

Took my own food and drink but was hard pressed to find a chair to sit on. Noted that there were less people camping/ exhibiting outside this year.

All traders in shows these days seem to charge top prices so, increasingly, there is less point in attending. Bargains are rare, you used to be able to justify the entrance charge with a bargain but you can't nowadays.. Many items can be had for a fraction of the show prices by investigating industrial suppliers, e.g. vee belts for Myford lathes going at the show for £8 each! - These can be obtained for a quarter of the price.

Thread: Famous Model Engineers
19/09/2013 11:20:58

I think we have had enough of 'famous' model engineers in this thread.

When I first viewed it I thought it was going to be about 'famous' people who are or were model engineers of some discipline and to some extent, that might make it more interesting.

Engineers and scientists from history, as well as actors and celebrities from today might be categories to explore.

Thread: Stuart 'Victoria' : a beginners tale..
30/08/2013 15:52:35

Check that the 'cast-in' steam passages in the cylinder block have been properly formed and are clear of any blockages. On a casting I had of the same type for a beam engine, I finished and assembled the engine only to find one of the passages had not been cast all the way between the portface channel and the cylinder end. It wasn't just a matter of cleaning dirt out, there was cast material in it and required some awkward drilling and remedial work to rectify.

Thread: Knobs and Toothpaste Caps
15/06/2013 08:29:07

Many products these days have screw-on caps which can be used as knobs on homemade equipment - just take a stroll down the household cleaning or bathroom aisles in a supermarket and make your choice.

Perhaps the most useful are the caps off marker pens which can be pushed onto suitably turned spigots.

Thread: Anyone wear Vari-focal specs?
15/06/2013 08:17:24

The only time I have difficulty with my varifocals is when I have to do close work above my head - as when trying to wire something under the baseboard of my model railway layout. Any other slight difficulties, such as straight lines appearing a little curved, you will get used to and work with.

Your optician can make up a pair of single-vision glasses for particularly close work using one of your old frames if necessary, especially useful if you have an odd prescription as I do (one eye significantly stronger than the other).

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Rapid RC
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Dreweatts
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest