By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for mike T

Here is a list of all the postings mike T has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: indexable carbide tools
06/04/2016 18:18:14

Yes and yes

Edited By mike T on 06/04/2016 18:18:37

Thread: Old brake discs
04/04/2016 11:17:08

Old, worn out cast iron disc brakes are prone to micro cracking due to high braking temperatures and and the shock rain water quenching. New, replacement disc brakes are surprisingly cheap to buy online. I would always chose new rather than old : but it does depend on what you are making.

Thread: Material source needed
31/03/2016 22:55:33

At least that should help.

Edited By mike T on 31/03/2016 22:56:17

31/03/2016 19:06:42

How would you do that Bazyle? It's in wood !!!!!

Thread: My new creation with my Badog CNC,plastic edge lit Xenomorph
29/03/2016 17:52:39

That panel looks absolutely fantastic and the blue edge lighting is stunning.

Where did you get the STL. file from?

Five hours of machining at what feed rate?

Thread: Antiques Roadshow
29/03/2016 11:54:53

Please can someone explain what the "it " referred to above actually is?

Thread: Pillar Drill Vice Mounting
24/03/2016 19:11:00

Edited By mike T on 24/03/2016 19:14:13

Thread: How Important Is 'Patina'.
16/03/2016 20:17:15

If you leave it as you found it, you will have 30 + years of genuine 'patina'.

If you want it to look like new, spring clean every thing.

If you want it to look like a restoration project, then chrome and polish everything.

Mike

Thread: Long-term battery charging
13/03/2016 19:05:19

I think Tim's battery problems have been discussed at some considerable length. It should be safe to widen the discussion without hijacking his topic

All the Nicad battery packs for my cordless drill have failed over the years. I decide to try a brand new three cell Lipo battery ( from my quad drone). The voltages were about the same. The drill worked better than ever and I finished the job with seemingly power to spare. When I checked the Lipo's battery state I discovered to my horror that the voltage was below the critical "do not discharge below" voltage. The drill was still running well but the battery never recovered. Some very expensive holes were drilled that day.

If I ever repeat the exercise, I will be sure to fit one of those audible low voltage alarms.

I must give Neil's method of reviving old nicad packs a try, I have plenty of those

Edited By mike T on 13/03/2016 19:16:09

Thread: Stepper settings
01/03/2016 19:23:15

Does you mini mill really have a leadscrew with 20mm lead per rev?

I would have thought something like a 5mm lead would have been more likely for a ball screw, or a 1mm lead for a conventional screw/nut leadscrew.

Thread: Honda C90
28/02/2016 16:31:58

Well there was lots of nostalgia for the C90 but mine was the only offer of a donor C90 for restoration by Mick.

Mike T

27/02/2016 12:33:39

Hello Mick

You may be in luck.

We have a Honda C90 (with some spares) which is just ripe for restoration. I will get it out of the shed and take some photos this afternoon if you are still interested in a C90. It was a good reliable runner but has been stored for a few years.

Send me a PM with your email address so I know where to send the photos.

What part of the country are you located? I am near Portsmouth.

Regards

Mike

Thread: Cost Effective CNC Tools
28/01/2016 17:48:01

EMG 12? That's cost effective?

Thread: Thread Milling
14/01/2016 12:53:44

That's very interesting but why?

The Chestnut generated G-code opens and display the helix path correctly in LinuxCNC.

LinuxCNC accepts 360 degree G02 segments. Some other software does not.

The Chestnut G-code has a G21 command to inform the machine controller, that the measurements that follow are Metric.

LinuxCNC can switch instantly between a metric and imperial display for the same program, and can accept G20 (inch) or G21 (metric) input.

The G20/ G21 G-code commands don't do the conversion. That's done in the Linux CNC controller software.

Hearsay has it that Tormach only works in imperial. That cannot be correct, can it?

You can always enter the metric equivalent of your inch i.e. multiply by 25.4 That allows you to create some unique threads. I am considering a special 1" x 1.0mm thread for an engine I am building. I enter 25.4 x 1.0 into the wizard and it does the rest. The 1.0 mm pitch is dictated to me by my available thread mills.

Mike

13/01/2016 12:31:11

Andrew,

Found a problem with the Chestnut pens Thread milling wizard. It climb mills external threads OK, but insists on conventional milling the internal threads using G02 from top to bottom. I talked with the author and he will bring out an update shortly to climb mill the internal threads from bottom to top using G03.

Mike T

12/01/2016 16:07:44

Andrew

I have downloaded and tried the Thread Milling Wizard from Chestnut pens http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk/misc/downloads.html

Who would have expected to find a thread milling wizard there?

It is quick and easy to use, the wizard is simple, well laid out and everything is on one page. The G-code saves and loads into LinuxCNC without a problem. It cuts air beautifully. The circular moves are in 360 degree steps.

Appears to be a very user friendly thread milling G-code generator

Time to thread some metal.

BTW I have discovered that Pathpilot opens automatically in Sim mode if it cannot find a machine. You can then use all the wizards, save the G-code files etc. and do everything except cut metal.

Mike T

11/01/2016 22:18:54

Andrew

I have a copy of the Tormach Pathpilot install disc. It installs OK and gives a Sim screen, but obviously nothing moves as I do not have the Tormach machine. I would like to play with the thread milling wizards to see if the will produce Gcode that I could use elsewhere. Do you know if the wizards will produce and save Gcode in Sim mode?

When I try to save the thread mill wizard, I get an error message " Please fill in XY locations in drill table then return to thread mill and post" I an not sure what that means. what/where is the drill table? Can you explain if you have a moment spare.

Thanks

Mike

10/01/2016 23:01:48

Murray

I expect we have all bought the Tormach restore DVD. I expect we have all hit the same disappointments. All we can now do is wait until the real Gurus bring it together. But Pathpilot looks so good.

I will dig around LinuxCNC Features, as you suggest, and see where that leads

Mike T

10/01/2016 19:13:20

Andrew

I am not sure if I actually helped you as we are both doing completely different things. I rotate the A axis and down feed on the Z axis, the feed rate appears to control the linear Z axis. I am NOT doing helical interpolation like you in X, Y and Z. I rotate the work piece while you spiral round the outside (or inside).

I am trying to get Pathpilot running on my Linux setup. It looks to be a first class control panel and the wizards look exciting. Pathpilot and LinuxCNC are basically the same thing, Pathpilot has gone one stage further

Mike

Edited By mike T on 10/01/2016 19:31:46

10/01/2016 17:35:14

Andrew

I am with LinuxCNC and it appears the feedrate defines the linear axes motion and the rotary axis keeps pace.

I used 1 inch per minute linear for the Z axis motion, but it would probably go much faster. I don't want to be to brave as the modified HSS tap milling cutter only has one tooth and I have still to do the real job.

Chris, The helix will be exact but the 'vee' form may be slightly out, more so with a cheepscate modified tap cutter

Mike

Edited By mike T on 10/01/2016 17:37:49

Edited By mike T on 10/01/2016 17:43:19

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest