By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for mike T

Here is a list of all the postings mike T has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: NZ Quake
17/11/2016 12:09:23

I seem to have stirred up a hornets nest by saying my youngest if finding plenty of brickwork in Christchurch while on his working holiday in NZ.

Sure, it makes perfect sense to have outlawed structural brick building through out NZ, as Ian had just said.

However my son is finding plenty of brickwork in Christchurch, mostly repairs and re-pointing of older buildings. As Ian found out, someone has to do the repair work and my lad is doing his share to help.

Thread: Oh dear - splinters or something worse in CNC
16/11/2016 22:50:03

As I understand the process: The core is magnetised by a powerful electromagnet, then pushed sideways into a steel keeper and then pushed sideways into the stepper motor during the final assembly. The magnetised core is never without a keeper.

16/11/2016 22:29:12

Taking stepper motors apart WILL ruin them for sure, the core will loose a lot (but not all) of it's magnetic strength. Not a good idea, unless you know something the manufacturer does not.

Thread: NZ Quake
16/11/2016 15:25:26

Thanks for the update Ian.

You Kiwis are a mighty resilient bunch. Such community spirit, everyone is doing everything possible to help each other. We could do well to learn from your example.

My youngest is a builder and is in Christchurch for a year. Plenty of brickwork for him to do there!!!!

Mike

Thread: Wabeco D4000 drilling issues
20/10/2016 11:41:25

I would advise you to contact the seller or manufacturer to inform them of the problem before you try any remedial action. Making measurements will help you define the problem for them to address but making physical changes may void any warranty.

Would it be possible to mount a DTI on the main spindle chuck and rotate it round a test bar held in the tailstock. This should indicate the concentricity (or otherwise) close too and at a longer distance from the tailstock?

Mike

Thread: Emco Compact 5 headstock taper problem
17/10/2016 21:44:27

Nick,

Unfortunately there is something odd with the way EMCO have machined the 2MT on all Emco Compact 5 lathe spindles. The taper is machined correctly for 2MT but the taper is located about 8 mm too far into the spindle; so any 'standard' 2MT drill chuck or 2MT ER25 collet chuck will not fit the lathe spindle. The back of the chuck always hits the spindle face before the taper can engage.

What Emco had in mind when they designed that feature is any ones guess. It has proved to be a source of annoyance for many owners. I discovered this oddity after waiting two weeks for a 2MT ER25 collet chuck to be delivered from China, I had to resort to that ungainly EMCO bolt on ER25 collet chuck.

Mike

Thread: MEX Photos for those that stayed home
17/09/2016 12:29:06

Thank you Michael G

Thread: Is CNC cheating
03/09/2016 21:07:03

That's me ****ed as well.

Where do you want me to send my Gold Medal and the Bradbury Winter Trophy to?

Mike

Thread: THE 2016 MODEL ENGINEER EXHIBITION
02/06/2016 15:18:42

Thanks Jason, I had only looked for the forms on the website without success.

Mike T

02/06/2016 15:09:52

Who knows where to we can find the MEX 2016 Competition entry forms?

Mike T

Thread: Cutting oil
29/05/2016 09:56:15

Hi David

You can count me in for litre size quantities

Mike

28/05/2016 22:34:09

Everyone seems to agree that Castrol Hysol XF is the way to go.

I can find it for sale in huge commercial quantities, but where can you buy it in sensible small quantities of a litre or two?

Mike

Thread: Plunge saw for brass?
16/05/2016 12:33:40

Rik That's a powerful little circular saw. Just make sure you fit a blade with with a finer pitch than the 1.5mm plate thickness, otherwise you will end up wearing it

Thread: About tea....
26/04/2016 13:00:51

For those who have survived a diet of compo rations in the field.

Who can remember the taste of tinned compo sausages? They actually tasted quite good.

Can you also remember the tins of 'babies heads' , a very descriptive name for tinned steak and kidney pudding

Thread: Duralium??
26/04/2016 11:58:09

Years ago we used to bungee lunch full size gliders off the bank. The bungee was pulled into tension by a huge retired dray horse. The horse had spent all of it's working life pulling a brewers dray around North Yorkshire, so was well used to pulling heavy loads. The horse ambled slowly down the bank with one end of the bungee attached to it's halter. When the tension was high enough the glider was released into the air.

One day, someone noticed that the old horse always shut both eyes when it started pulling on the bungee cord. Well wouldn't you? Even the old horse could imagine the consequences, if the bungee cord suddenly snapped without warning.

Thread: which plastic rod
24/04/2016 20:48:09

What for?

Thread: CES Change of Owner
20/04/2016 15:20:55

If we all vote with our feet, then perhaps the new owners will get the message.

Thread: Making piston rings.
17/04/2016 16:26:22

Understood, If the full size engine does it that way, then you have to do the same.

Mike

17/04/2016 15:36:05

Jason,

How does that ring across the gudgeon pin seal the gasses?

Mike

Thread: Millling clamps
14/04/2016 14:45:27

They look to be a very sensible set of clamps you had to make.

That is an enormous block of 2014, it should take you a long time to reduce that to a pile of small chips

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest