By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for mike T

Here is a list of all the postings mike T has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Wiggler, wobbler or something else?
06/08/2017 10:02:16

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice.

I think the Renishaw type touch probe is the one for me.

Mike

05/08/2017 21:25:26

John,

Thanks for that information. I was hoping that Jason's PEC edge finder was based on the Renishaw style of probe.rather than a rigid probe. I will follow up your leads and look into the various DIY touch trigger probes and how they can connect into LinuxCNC

Thanks

Mike

05/08/2017 19:51:23

Jason and Bander......

Not sure about an edge finder tip with no compliance. Maybe OK with a manual machine where you can feel some resistance. but with a CNC machine there is no such feel, so you could easily make one or two steps too many and before you know it there is a 25Kg side load applied to you shiny new probe. I think I will probably stick with my faithful old cylindrical wobbler for the time being.

Mike

05/08/2017 18:29:27

Thanks Jason,

It should also fit an ER 25 collet.

The part number looks like 4200-5??????.

Did you order it from a UK source? I always get hit with extra import duty when I order direct from the USA. Makes things expensive

thanks

Mike

05/08/2017 17:34:51

Jason,

What is the diameter of the shank on your PEC edge finder? I have ER25 collets and the biggest collet is 16mm.

Mike

Thread: Phosphor bronze v oilite
30/07/2017 19:05:39

Best to restrict your use of phosphor bronze PB 102 to boiler fittings rather than for making bearings. The leaded bronzes SAE660 and gunmetal LG2 are so much easier to machine and are intended as bearing materials. Oilite is also good, provided the shaft fits without the need to adjust the bore of the oilite bush.

Thread: New 21st century Concorde to be built within 5 years
21/06/2017 16:40:42

Sounds like the less you understand a problem, the easier it appears.

Feel sorry for the investors who coughed up the 33 Million. If they made a bonfire of the money, it could provide a good substitute for the afterburners

Thread: Model Engineers Workshop Lost The Plot
10/06/2017 20:24:28

And there are some who want to continue this slanging match.

Not the most friendly forum is it?

Thread: What's the most dangerous tool in your workshop
07/05/2017 18:36:50

The band-saw.

Pushing hard by hand, to cut some thick stock, suddenly the blade is out the other side and there is no longer any resistance to your pushing. Ouch!

Thread: CNC Utilities
03/05/2017 16:03:18

I am a LinuxCNC user and was amazed to find it does not offer a G71 turning canned cycle. The lack of a turning cycle is a real 'PITA' . It is a very repetitive cycle and code can be produced by tedious multiple 'cut and paste' operations in a text editor. But there had to be an easier way.

Richard has created a very simple it use, CNC utility which creates the underlying G-code of a G71 turning cycle. It is a fully conversational program, you fill in the specification boxes and the necessary G-code is immediately generated. Copy the code to your LinuxCNC machine and you are ready to go.

Thanks go to Richard for this and the many other CNC utilities he has written and distributes freely.

Mike T

Thread: Aliexpress machine tool spindles
17/04/2017 13:01:18

Andrew,

As you say it's all relative. If you are intending to mill with larger cutters then the BT30 mill head running below 3000 RPM is quite adequate. However if you really need to be operating at 24000RPM, then a self contained high speed engraving motor/spindle with a tiny ER collet would be more appropriate. There are lots of water cooled engraving motor/ spindles to chose from in the Bay.

A 4 hour 24000 RPM or a 20 hour 5000RPM machining job, does not sound like 'normal' model engineering work to me. Ha ha.

Mike

Edited By mike T on 17/04/2017 13:04:54

17/04/2017 11:08:03

Andrew, Jason

My EMCO F1 CNC mill has a BT30 spindle with a quick change tool lever.

The maximum speed of the spindle is only 2,500 RPM. It eats steel, brass and aluminium fast enough for my needs, even down to 2.0mm diameter cutters.

Yes, a faster spindle would be nice for really small cutters but in my opinion 2.500 RPM is more than adequate for most model engineering CNC mill work. You always need to reduce speed for cutting steel and other hard materials

Mike

17/04/2017 10:38:35

In both cases the BT30 tool holder appears to need a drawbar and manual tool change

It does not look like there is enough internal room for a lever action quick change pull button mechanism.

Are there any quick change spindles listed?

Mike

Thread: Emco compact 5 cnc lathe with Welturn
10/03/2017 00:34:21

Emgee,

You have a reply waiting in your message box

Mike

Thread: Replacement brushes for Emco F1/Compact 5 spindle motor.
07/03/2017 18:35:52

All sorted.

A quick trip to Solenttools in Southampton. They sure lived up to their reputation, a set of replacement brushes were produced in five minutes flat.

For future reference Emco F1 / Compact 5 owners should note that Solenttools part no. STL 0406 at £8.00 a pair is a perfect replacement for the Baumuller motor part no. ZME-200-290 which cost a wapping £90.00 a pair from EMCO.

Thanks for all the help and advice

Mike

07/03/2017 14:45:40

Thanks John,

Solenttools are only just down the road from me and sound very helpful on the phone. They may be able to make up a couple of sets for me.

Mike

07/03/2017 14:29:31

Thanks for that link. They look to be somewhat undersize but I could give them a try.

Mike

07/03/2017 14:03:14

Can anyone help me find some replacement carbon brushes for the Emco F1 or Emco Compact 5 main spindle motor?

The motor was made by Baumuller in Austria back in the 1980's and genuine replacement parts are now unobtainable.

The brushes are approx 6.5 x 7.5 x 20 long with a long 26mm spring.

Has anyone found a suitable substitute? Or does anyone have some part used brushes to sell?

Thanks

Mike

Edited By mike T on 07/03/2017 14:03:53

Thread: Emco compact 5 chuck key help!!
27/12/2016 11:38:38

Patrick, I have made do with an old unmarked key of more or less the right size. I needed to loctite a thin brass sleeve over the spigot to bring it to 7mm. I will try not to lose that one as well.

Jason said he thought the Emco 3 jaw chucks were made by Rohm, I will have to follow up that lead.

Mike

23/12/2016 17:56:32

Hi Patrick,

I have also lost my EMCO chuck key. so I followed up on your information, but drew a complete blank.

The Jacobs#3 series refers only to the key style (thumb flat and handle) not to the part number. The other number I can see on the photo of your key, appears to be the British Patent number.

Is there another part number on the chuck key? Also, Jacobs only appear to make keys with fractional inch spigots. The EMCO chuck has a 7.0mm hole. Has your key's spigot been turned down to fit?

I have bodged something together from a rusty old unmarked key, just to get myself out of jail, but would like to find a better replacement.

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest