By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for mike T

Here is a list of all the postings mike T has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Stumped Again? Mystery Object
17/02/2021 20:08:22

Push bike, motor bike spoke adjuster?

Thread: 2-Part Covid Vaccinations
14/02/2021 20:14:51
Posted by Fatgadgi on 14/02/2021 20:02:57:

Hi Peter - the press has been reporting 67% today based a study of the vaccinations so far by some professor from Kings College in London.

That begs the question what does 67% immunity actually mean? Does it mean you still have a 1 in 3 chance of becoming infected?

Edited By mike T on 14/02/2021 20:15:19

Edited By mike T on 14/02/2021 20:15:49

Thread: Denford ORAC cnc lathe
11/02/2021 14:54:37

Thank you Andrew,

Sounds like you are saying "If you want to get here, you should'nt start from here"

Several leaned sources suggest the Orac spindle nose is to DIN 55021 (modified?)

11/02/2021 13:17:42

Hello Emgee (Triac?)

I have just acquired a Denford Orac for upgrade. I would like to fit a four jaw and a collet chuck.

Did you ever identify the spindle nose/ backplate type or a possible supplier?

Regards

Mike

Edited By mike T on 11/02/2021 13:32:31

Thread: Silverline long reach air tool for Top/Crosslide mounting
20/01/2021 14:18:07

What wattage and voltage is required for a "good" spindle drive?

Would 300watts be enough to do more than just light spotting and drilling?

Mike

Thread: CAM software for CNC Lathes - With C axis and constrained live tool
04/01/2021 18:28:46
Posted by Joseph Noci 1 on 04/01/2021 17:58:23:

Mike, No , - I have not implemented what I think you are suggesting - but it is quite easy

Joe

I setup my 4 axes machine using LiuxCNC and have been using it for well over a year ago.

I was trying to offer help to you, if you were attempting to do a similar thing.

Mike

04/01/2021 15:41:49

Joe,

Have you tried to configure a machine as a 4 axis mill. with X,Y,Z,C axes with the LinuxCNC, Step Config Wizard 

I have a small EMCO compact 5 lathe bed, with a stepper motor driven spindle, bolted to the bed of my 3 axis Mill.

The lathe gives me a fourth axis of motion. with all the work holding advantages of three jaw, four jaw, collet chucks, faceplate and a movable tailstock. With it, I can do all the normal 4 axis functions. index, machine on the round etc.etc.

Is this in any way similar to what you refer to as a "CNC Lathe with C axis and constrained live tooling"?

Mike

Edited By mike T on 04/01/2021 15:42:17

Edited By mike T on 04/01/2021 15:54:37

Thread: Low temperature casting metal
03/01/2021 13:20:15

A dark metal filled acrylic casting resin.

Room temperature, so safer for the kids as well..

Thread: Linux CNC
02/01/2021 14:36:03

oops

Edited By mike T on 02/01/2021 14:37:02

01/01/2021 21:52:26

Mike T.

Thanks for your comments Mike. I am trying to start with equipment as current as is practical, so am not keen to configure a machine with the old par port system - esp since my eventual aim is to get the lathe to have a coordinated C axis, with basic live tooling. I guess the par port could still do it all, but there are other motives as well - to have the PC/screen/MPG-handwheels on a 'cart' that I can wheel to the mill, router, engraver, lathe, and just plug the 'cart' via ethernet into the MESA card in the machine, load that machines profile and run. Else I need a half dozen PC's, or a big cable connector tween cart and machine, with all the step/dir signals, homing and limit sensors, etc...However, to start and to learn, I don't care what the implementation is - As long as I can get it working on 'a' PC!

Understand though the dilema - It is normal when installing software to install the 'latest' version - whatever OS , etc. So why would I choose v2.7 - v2.8 MUST be better, no? And if v2.7 means its the same as v2.8, only its 32bit ( I'm sure its more than that!) how am I supposed to know that or find it out? So one just mucks around, hacking away at ones sanity...

Joe,

"So why would I choose v2.7 - v2.8 MUST be better, no."  NO NOT NECESSARILY, just different linux OS software changes

The functionality to drive X,Y, Z ,A, B and C axes, use pendants and drive servos or steppers reliably, has been there since day one, when it was known as EMC2. The CNC functional bugs were ironed out many many years ago. They have tidied up the GUI interface and the set up wizards over time. V2.8 does no more or no less than V2.7 from the CNC machine operators viewpoint. You therefor do not need to go for the very latest . 2.7 is stable and reliable and works on 32 bit machines. V2.7 can use the parallel port or a plug in Messa cards or whatever you wish to play with.

You must guessed by now, that LinuxCNC is very much a software developers toy as it is a CNC operators tool. Most of the version updates are usually to do with making the linux software prettier, they rearly , if ever, add more CNC functionality.

I can see what you have in mind with walk round plug in cart. It sounds like a fun thing to develop. But if your needs are to do CNC machining, several dedicated cheap PC have a lot to offer.

You say, "However, to start and to learn, I don't care what the implementation is - As long as I can get it working on 'a' PC!"

The route I described is a simple way to get you started with LinuxCNC. Once you have a feel for how it works, you can go to add a Messa card, then go on and on and develop more and more complex systems. LinuxCNC will let you do it. V 2.7 will let you do it. But first you probably need something simple that is known to work.

The choice is yours. My systems are well sorted

Stay safe

Mike

Edited By mike T on 01/01/2021 21:53:38

Edited By mike T on 01/01/2021 21:55:04

01/01/2021 18:29:59

Joe,

LinuxCNC is not a learning curve, it is a learning cliff. Finding your way through the documentation is a nightmare. However the actual installation process is relatively simple

I have been using LinuxCNC trouble free for the last fifteen years on all my modified Emco mills and lathes. It's robust and reliable and I would not want to change it.

I keep everything dead simple. no Mesa boards or whatever, just connect everything directly to the 25pin parallel port.. The older versions of LinuxCNC works well , so no worries there.

I use older (£50 ish) mid range 32 bit machines, to get the parallel port.which is missing on more modern machines. Each PC has a dedicated installation of LinuxCNC which overwrites any existing Windozz crap.

I install the LinuxCNC 2.7 ISO. It runs total reliability on my older 32 bit machines.

I interface the step/direction signals from the stepper motor drive bricks directly to the 25 pin parallel port signals. No other interface or MESA boards. just straight one to one connections.

I use the LinuxCNC Step Config Wizard (in the drop down menu) to configure each of my machines :. 2 axis lathe, 3 and 4 axis mill.

The Step Config Wizard is helpful and talks you through the setup. However if you experience any problems, I can help you through the process.

If you need more help, just ask

Mike (AKA Vixen)

Edited By mike T on 01/01/2021 18:45:54

Edited By mike T on 01/01/2021 18:46:28

Thread: Pesky Government Announcement!
17/06/2020 16:43:31

Well Peter G. Shaw. I am sorry to hear you are p***** off with the Government's announcements, intended to keep you and I safe.

Maybe you should spare a moments thought to the 49 members of the NHS who sacrificed their lives, so the likes of you could survive to be p***** of with the announcements.

Mike

Thread: A bit of history of Mach and LinuxCNC
19/04/2020 22:54:28

LinuxCNC, was formerly known as EMC2, which was the second variant of Enhanced Machine Controller, Linux-based CNC software.

And as MichaelG will no doubt be able to confirm:

In physics, mass–energy equivalence is the principle that anything having mass has an equivalent amount of energy and vice versa, with these fundamental quantities directly relating to one another by

E=mc^2

E = energy
m = mass
c = the speed of light

Edited By mike T on 19/04/2020 22:57:29

Thread: Virus Alert Levels
19/03/2020 17:49:21

What did you do during the virus war Dad?

Well Son, I had the most dangerous job of all.

I was tail gunner on a truck load of bog paper

Thread: Model car clutch pads - where ?
10/02/2020 01:39:47

Search on e-bay for "FG clutch". You can find the clutch bell (brake drum) and the shoes all for 52mm diameter.

Mike

Thread: More evidence that the world has gone mad!
03/12/2019 22:16:03

I also know from first hand experience how careful Ford Motor Co was in naming its vehicles.

And then there was the Capri, which sounds the same as Capre, which is Italian for Goats.

Didn't they do well

Thread: MIDLANDS MODEL ENGINEERING EXHIBITION
18/10/2019 18:20:46

Quote: It's a shame that the traders are being priced out of attending.

That's a double edged sword. Traders being priced out of attending means such shows will no longer be viable and will soon cease to exist. Enjoy then while you can.

Thread: Aldi Metal Bandsaw
26/09/2019 23:21:45

It would need to be 114cm if you want it to fit.

Edited By mike T on 26/09/2019 23:23:06

Thread: Interesting??
18/05/2019 15:39:25

Ha ha, When I worked for BAE SYSTEMS we had a mad inventor guy who contacted us, offering to reveal the secrets of 'Magnets of the push kind' , which he had just invented, if we paid him a few quid.

Mike

Thread: KX1 CNC Mill Clearance Offer
27/02/2019 23:40:43

Andrew,

If I am not mistaken your hobby CNC mill is a big Tormach. I have tried to emulate your impressive feeds and speeds on my much smaller Emco F1, usually with disasterous results. We all get different mileage from our different machines

Slower is always safer and time is not money to the hobbyist..

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
JD Metals
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest