By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Enough!

Here is a list of all the postings Enough! has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Logging in
19/05/2020 22:21:55

Incidentally, another way to get logged out unintentionally on this (and probably other sites) is to have too many tabs/windows into the site open at once.

I have a bookmark folder with multiple links to this site. Occasionally, instead of left-clicking to open the folder, I inadvertently centre-click it. This opens all the links at once in separate tabs and is guaranteed to get me logged out.

Thread: 3D CAD software - what do you use?
19/05/2020 22:16:16
Posted by Barrie Lever on 19/05/2020 22:09:17:

I guess that because I see the workflow as design and then export the STL, I don't place much importance on the import of STL.

Do you do 3D printing?

Edited By Bandersnatch on 19/05/2020 22:16:28

19/05/2020 22:14:52
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 19/05/2020 18:16:51:

STL is not a good format for imports, aside from not defining what units things are in, if you have compound curves (e.g. curved fillets) they become massive because every surface is converted to small triangles.

This means they can't sensibly be back-converted to any other type of shape.

I'm not talking here about using STL as a way of saving model files per se. Simply as a way of making simple changes to the plethora of 3D Print models published on Thingiverse (and elsewhere) which are almost invariably supplied solely as STL files and may need only small changes to make them suitable for you own purpose.

As far as I can recall, every 3D client I've looked at does handle STL files at least to the point of importing them. Whether they can do anything useful with them I haven't discovered. MoI on the other hand doesn't even show STL as an import file type.

See also my response to Barrie.

19/05/2020 21:59:07
Posted by Barrie Lever on 19/05/2020 18:24:10:

I am interested to know what you would do with the STL file in MOI? This is not a fractious question.

Fusion and SE can open STL and modify them.

I think you pretty much answered your own question ... to (hopefully) be able to convert them to a single solid and modify them, at least to the extent of doing a cut or addition. I don't know if that's even possible but you seem to indicate that Fusion and SE can do it. MoI won't even import the STL.

One of the downsides on Thingiverse is that you typically get only STL files so unless you have a way to modify those, you're stuck with what you get and no way to customise for your own purposes.

Thread: Logging in
19/05/2020 18:30:44
Posted by Nick Clarke 3 on 19/05/2020 10:47:17:

The information required to stay logged in is almost certainly stored on your computer, not by the website.

Sorry - forgot this in my previous post and too late to edit now ...

Here's a scenario (under normal conditions):

I log on from Machine-A and check "Remember Me". I can close the browser and then reboot that machine and stay logged on as many times as I want..

So I close the Machine-A browser, go to Machine-B and go to the website. Unsurprisingly I need to log on which I do and check "Remember Me".

Close the Machine-B browser, go to Machine-A and go to the website. Need to login on again.

If it's all done with local cookies and not at the website, how does Machine-A know about the Machine-B cookie?

Edited By Bandersnatch on 19/05/2020 18:32:07

19/05/2020 17:13:13
Posted by Nick Clarke 3 on 19/05/2020 10:47:17:

The information required to stay logged in is almost certainly stored on your computer, not by the website.

One possible reason for the recent issue is an update to your computers software, certainly a load of Win10 updates have been flying around recently.

Nah ... it was happening to me repeatedly yesterday. Couldn't stay logged on after I closed the browser (yes "Remember Me" was checked) and I'm on Windows8.1 which hasn't been updated in any significant way for some time.

Something happening on the site (again).

Edited By Bandersnatch on 19/05/2020 17:16:49

19/05/2020 17:06:23
Posted by Tony Jeffree on 19/05/2020 11:43:25:

Many thanks for the comprehensive and helpful responses - I will have to do some studying, not to mention downloading!

One thing you might consider, in general terms, is whether you are likely to want to import other file formats and whether the candidate will actually allow that in the formats you need..

For example, I looked at MoI which seemed quite attractive but the list of import file formats was rather limited. No STL for example.

Thread: Annoying milling cutter diving into the work
19/05/2020 16:55:58

Just looking at the first picture I would guess that the collet nut is not fully home on the body (at least, mine screws on significantly more than that) which suggests that the collet was not properly installed in the nut.

Thread: Macro-photography
19/05/2020 01:32:12
Posted by Sam Stones on 18/05/2020 23:20:49:

That's a brilliant grasshopper photograph, Brandersnatch. Looks like flash from the side, with fill in from above?

Actually it was just available light, Sam. It was on the handrail of the stairs leading up to the condo we were renting in Florida (some years ago now when I wasn't persona non grata for medical insurance and used to drive down from Ontario in the spring for a few weeks). It was just "there" when I came back from the beach and I took the opportunity.

The lighting is very bright - even harsh - in Florida so I can see where you might think it was flash.

18/05/2020 16:52:04

grasshopper-rsz.jpg

18/05/2020 16:14:44
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 18/05/2020 15:18:23:

A warning! Learning a new 3D CAD package when you already know another, including 2D CAD, or have preconceived ideas about how it should work can be agonisingly difficult. Unlearning is really hard work and it may be essential!

+1

Thread: Workshop Woes
18/05/2020 15:58:06

For wheels, you could try Lilfishes though you might have to buy complete bicycles. You could ask though if they have separate wheels.

You should probably give some thought to other (purchased) items that need to be to scale. The chain for example is 1-inch pitch full size so 1/4-inch at scale. Probably not a problem at a guess. Most of the rest is "make" though, at a quick look. You might find leaf springs on another model .... or make them.

18/05/2020 01:36:13

Quadricycle:

Some pics. The B/W pics are of the full-size working repro of the Quadricycle that we built at the Ford (Dagenham) Trade School in the 60's when I was there as a student-apprentice - including the late Graham Hill driving it at Crystal Palace.

The CAD models I did much later (about 15-20 years ago in Pro/Engineer (individual parts plus assemblies). Yes, it took forever! smile pquad repro.jpg

quad-gh-3-rsz.jpg

quadricycle-assy-front-iso-g-rsz.jpg

quadricycle-assy-rear-iso-g-rsz.jpg

quadricycle-assy-engine-g-rsz.jpg

Edited By Bandersnatch on 18/05/2020 01:41:32

Thread: Siemens does not like me...!
14/05/2020 01:49:52
Posted by Raymond Anderson on 13/05/2020 11:57:42:

Solid Edge is not certified to run on any other Os other than Win 10. I think you would have to jump through hoops, and even IF you got it to run, it would be so unstable Would not be a good experience.

Shhh. Don't tell my version that. I installed (in my ignorance) on Win8.1. It seems perfectly happy so far. Not that I've done much.

That said, if they really only want it installed on Win10 it's perfectly simple to detect the OS on installation (or even at the time of download) and refuse at that point.

Thread: Understanding Digital Subscriptions
14/05/2020 01:38:53
Posted by Raymond Hodges on 13/05/2020 10:06:38:

Bandersnatch

I think you missed the point, why have a printed version and a digital at the same time, one or the other is enough,all I wanted was to use the Digital version and have access to the Digital Issues Archive.

You're right, that wasn't how I read it.

13/05/2020 02:00:11
Posted by Raymond Hodges on 12/05/2020 18:02:56:

A second thought why on earth would anyone need a printed copy when you can read it online, this only leads to more waste paper.

Longevity and reliability? Not limited to whichever OS, in whatever version, PM is supporting this week. And the best quality hard copy of all when you need it (some do).

Thread: Bending 1/8" Steel Plate
13/05/2020 01:54:24

(Probably stating the obvious but ....) If you're bending in a vice, it might be better to start with a really long piece of bar, for leverage, and cut it afterwards.

Edited By Bandersnatch on 13/05/2020 01:55:12

Thread: G code sender for grbl
12/05/2020 22:31:55

Bit of a slefgehammer-nut approach but wouldn't a RAMPS kit do this?

(Or Banggood etc)

Thread: Oscilloscope kits - any recommendations?
10/05/2020 16:10:47

Just saw this fwiw.

Thread: Metric Screwcutting on imperial ML7
09/05/2020 18:38:12
Posted by Leslie Rix on 09/05/2020 17:34:03:

The reason for this post is to query the availability lifetime of the thread archive (I would be zapped without it) and aslo to ask how to get a printout of the metric threads tables included in the various postings.

You could try printing each page of the thread to a pdf file to keep as a record. Or indeed print each page to your printer and store the hard-copy.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
rapid Direct
JD Metals
walker midge
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest