By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Enough!

Here is a list of all the postings Enough! has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Measuring tilt angles
14/08/2020 15:09:43

Just noting that 0.1° amounts to .009" or .22mm over 5 inches - roughly the width of a vice.

(... if my trig is correct. I'm sure I'll find out if not).

Thread: Poor mans mill feed speed control
14/08/2020 01:11:24
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 14/08/2020 00:37:26:

And if you can edit or delete anything you've posted on this forum, as I have been told is theoretically possible, I have never discovered how.

You can edit your own post within a short time (15 minutes or so?) of posting it. During that time there will be an "Edit" selection attached to it when you read it.

You can sort of delete it by the same method. If you delete all the text, the message will be blank except for the "edited at ..." message.

Thread: Measuring tilt angles
13/08/2020 17:26:37

For"standard" angles I usually find a set of these makes it easy:

Thread: Taking a pair of wire cutters to a standard baseball cap
04/08/2020 01:36:49
Posted by Greensands on 03/08/2020 20:04:53:

I have found it it is all too easy to make contact with the top of ones head the results of which can be a nasty bruise or scrape.

FWIW you can get "hard-hat" baseball caps lined with a hard plastic shell. Being follicly challenged I use one if if have to crawl around under the machines/benches in the shop.

(Sorry to be serious for a moment) wink 2

Thread: Opions sought on using the USB Photo Stick for photo storage
31/07/2020 22:51:08
Posted by Grindstone Cowboy on 30/07/2020 01:24:36:

Neil - you could do worse than have a look at Karen's Replicator available here. It may do what you require.

AFAIK, the person that wrote that died years ago (pre Win-10 at least). How well it holds up / will hold up with modern Windows versions is anyone's guess. In fact I'm pretty sure I've seen a specific comment on another forum that it reacted badly to a Windows update a while back.

Thread: Today's delivery
30/07/2020 18:33:32
Posted by MC Black 2 on 30/07/2020 15:23:01:

The studding must have been bent when Parcelforce people handled the tube.

Then it would show in the external condition of the package. (You can't bend a rod through the package without leaving evidence on the outside unless the package is extremely resilient - in which case the package is still at fault.)

It isn't reasonable (and certainly not cost effective) to expect delivery services to handle everyday shipments individually with kid-gloves. To cover their own rear-ends, they have standards available to companies stating worse case delivery environments (drops, vibration etc) and what those shippers should allow for in their packaging and packing method.

Most companies have never heard of the regulations let alone read them or received any training.

30/07/2020 01:05:45

One thing we lost when 'Peanuts' became non-u, was decent packaging.

Before then, all the packer had to do was dump a layer of peanuts in the bottom of the box; put the goods on top in the obvious position (in the middle) and fill up the remaining space with more peanuts.

It then ticked all the boxes for decent packaging: goods protected on all sides (and especially corners) and no loose space in the box (which protects the box and therefore further protects the goods).

Modern packing material is as often abused as used. Putting the goods in an empty box (especially in the corner - OMG!) then putting packing material (however good) on top (or even top and sides/ends) makes packaging engineers laugh like drains. Most wouldn't survive standard drop tests.

Edited By Bandersnatch on 30/07/2020 01:25:46

Thread: Opions sought on using the USB Photo Stick for photo storage
29/07/2020 22:54:00

You (Greensands) could get a decent search program and do a full computer search for files with graphics filetypes. A good one will should let you search multiple filetypes concurrently. You should then be able to copy all those files from its listing to the USB card of your choice in one swell foop.

That's basically all Photo Stick does ... it just saves you the trouble of remembering all the different graphics filetypes. Chances are you neither use not care about most of them.

Edited By Bandersnatch on 29/07/2020 22:55:29

Thread: Setting up a Tri-Leva Myford ML7
25/07/2020 22:35:23
Posted by Leslie Deasy on 25/07/2020 16:14:20:
Posted by Cornish Jack on 18/11/2013 11:49:09:

Mike

I have sent you the scans of the Tri-Leva relevant extracts from the ML7 manual. Have you received them?

Hi could I trouble you for a scan please of the tri lever handbook

What's being discussed seems to be the Tri-Leva section of the regular ML7 user manual rather than any "Tri-Leva Handbook" (if such exists). You can get the ML7 User manual here.

Thread: Magnetised digital calipers
25/07/2020 17:01:33
Posted by Howard Lewis on 25/07/2020 16:12:32:

Storing a ferrous object on a North - South meridian will eventually magnetise it, so an East - West should reverse the process,

I don't really see why that should follow,Howard. I would have thought that E-W would simply do nothing.

If anything storing it N-S with field reversed might do something but admittedly outside my pay grade blush

Thread: Martin Cottrell
21/07/2020 22:30:56

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/members/public_profile.asp?c=45548

... and send him a PM?

Thread: Q-Tech Collet Chuck
19/07/2020 17:12:33
Posted by MC Black 2 on 19/07/2020 16:36:01:

I think it may be 1.7/8 AF

.... raises the general question: for a nominal 1-7/8 AF, is it the spanner that is made to the nominal and the part slightly less to suit, or vice-versa?

Thread: Where can I get terminal posts?
16/07/2020 16:47:44

Digikey has similar.

(Don't know what they are like in the UK but in Canada the (US) company ships from the Canadian side of the border with prices in $CDN. They charge a very nominal $8 flat rate shipping such that, if I order before 8pm one day, I get it by noon the next. I could barely drive to a local store for $8).

Non-PC Bandersnatch wink

Thread: Neowise
16/07/2020 15:44:36

PM Brian.

Thread: microscope refurbishment
16/07/2020 15:34:26
Posted by pgk pgk on 15/07/2020 23:07:20:

In any event my instinct is that there;s nothing wrong with old stuff showing it's age and just preventing further deterioration is a triumph in itself..

.... reminds me that the word "refurbish" and "restore", although often used interchangeably" have rather different meanings. Not totally sure what's intended here.

Thread: Trembling laptop
16/07/2020 15:26:18
Posted by Gary Wooding on 16/07/2020 12:31:50:

Trembling is a better description of the sensation than tingling. It's extremely slight and is eliminated if more pressure is applied. It's definitely a mains frequency.

Not to belabour the point but "mains frequency" does not, ipso-facto, mean it's an electrical as opposed to mechanical sensation .... just that it (presumably) derives from an electrical source.

Feed a low-level 50Hz into a loudspeaker and put your fingertips on the cone and you'll feel a "mains frequency trembling". Many other mains frequency operated (thought not necessarily mains voltage) mechanical devices emit low-level mechanical vibrations at that frequency. (Probably hard to avoid if you specify a low enough detection point).

Check with an oscilloscope?

Thread: Neowise
15/07/2020 22:33:53

Thanks, Michael !

15/07/2020 17:03:25
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 15/07/2020 09:24:09:

From this morning’s News: **LINK**

Refuses to let me in with an adblocker. I refuse to go in without.

Thread: Trembling laptop
15/07/2020 16:52:58
Posted by Gary Wooding on 15/07/2020 07:36:02:

when I gently brush my hand or finger on the metal panel surrounding the keyboard I feel a very slight trembling.

Hmm .... I interpreted that to mean a vibration or acoustic trembling. Everyone else seems to have understood electrical fault.

Thread: Gluing metal
14/07/2020 22:39:37

Agree with George.

Clean the pieces with alcohol before bonding. Then clean them again.

Mix the two parts of the epoxy. Then mix them again.

Edited By Bandersnatch on 14/07/2020 22:44:41

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
walker midge
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
JD Metals
Warco
emcomachinetools
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest