By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bandersnatch

Here is a list of all the postings Bandersnatch has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Lathe controls position
17/04/2019 23:19:30

I located the Electronic Halfnut that I built for the AutoArtisans ELS down at the tail;stock end. Seemed more natural there.

els halfnut control.jpg

(OTOH the remote controller box for the Motor VFD is at the headstock end - albeit farher over than the spindle - it seemed more natural there).

Thread: Telescopic bore gauges
17/04/2019 01:01:00

Might be better if you change the link to one that goes to Arc ..... rather than Ikeasmiley

Thread: How to get that high end paint finish
13/04/2019 18:36:34

Posted by Rainbows on 13/04/2019 10:15:19:

Now the issue is, if I paint thinly I get brush strokes left in the paint surface, if I paint thick the brush marks level out but I get left with splotches where some paint is obviously thicker than other parts.

I've found that the paint flattens and brush-strokes level out over a period of some weeks and what you might have considered a bit ho-hum initially looks much better.

Thread: Black Holes
13/04/2019 01:02:38

This was the best explanation I saw.

Thread: Changing Broadband
10/04/2019 22:32:20

Posted by Steve Neighbour on 10/04/2019 18:10:16:

.... but could I get TT to realise I wasn't their customer anymore, firstly they took another payment (so I was now paying TT AND Sky) when I did eventually get through to ask them to a, stop, and b to refund the payment taken in error, the word 'refund' didn't seem to register with them.

This is exactly why I never let anyone dip directly into my bank account or credit card. What do I get out of it? Convenience (they tell me) - insignificantly perhaps. What do they get out of it .......?

Thread: Just desserts
07/04/2019 16:47:08
Posted by Samsaranda on 07/04/2019 15:08:44:

This post appears under the heading of “Tea Room” which is the correct placing for frivolous and /or non engineering items.

.... presumably the raison d'etre for the Tea Room in the first place.

Unfortunately a few people seem to interpret this as anything goes, anywhere in the forums.

Thread: model engineers workshop
02/04/2019 17:18:33
Posted by philip Godley on 02/04/2019 16:08:04:

Why is there a lot of people unhappy ,and ,want the download options if it should never have been available in the first place?.

Why pay loadsamoney for something you can only look at online whilst subs last.

Philip, if those questions are not rhetorical, you're asking the wrong person. I didn't create the original situation, I was just explaining it as I understand it.

That said, I don't think people are unhappy about any imagined loss of download option (they never had that in the first place). They are unhappy with the loss of print option in the online viewer because they lose the print-to-pdf route.

01/04/2019 22:13:03
Posted by philip Godley on 01/04/2019 21:23:31:

As far as I can remember the digital issues were for people to download and view , saving on a bit of cash , and , saving the print/paper for the publishers. win-win..

The digital issues were never billed as "downloadable". They were for viewing on line using the Flash viewer - which did allow printing, individually, of the odd page or two ..... the fact that some used that facility to print the whole shebang to pdf notwithstanding.

Thread: Looking to purchase a new 4 jaw chuck
29/03/2019 00:52:21
Posted by Dave Springate on 28/03/2019 17:58:06:

Hi I only have a little Myford ML10, it only has a 3, 5/16 (84mm) center height and the original 4 jaw option was only 4" so I thought it may be an ideal choice.

It very likely is. Don't forget that when actually holding something in the chuck, the jaws may (will) extend out past the chuck body and it is that which will limit the maximum size of chuck you can use rather than the chuck diameter per-se. (Or, conversely, the maximum size of part you can hold in the chuck.)

Thread: Will we be able to see Asteroid 2019 EA2 when it passes earth on March 22nd.
16/03/2019 17:31:53

Martin, I would guess that what matters is angular speed relative to the observer ..... and If my ageing brain were up to it I could probably estimate it from the numbers you give. As it is, I think I'd need to leave that to someone else.

Edited By Bandersnatch on 16/03/2019 17:32:40

Thread: Windows Update (Again)
16/03/2019 16:24:06
Posted by Adam Mara on 16/03/2019 16:07:55:

I would check you updates record in settings, I had 2 updates on the 13th, if thats any help.

Without stating the Windows version, it doesn't really mean much, Adam.

16/03/2019 15:01:05
Posted by Brian Hutchings on 15/03/2019 18:17:41:

I very foolishly clicked on a Windows Update button that came in on email (I think).

Are you saying that you received an email with a button to press to update Windows? If so, it certainly wasn't from Microsoft - they don't serve updates that way.

Moreover, the litany of problems that you experienced suggest that what you receive was malware. Microsoft updates do, occasionally cause the odd problem on some systems but not to the extent that you are describing.

Edited By Bandersnatch on 16/03/2019 15:05:49

Thread: Is a hand chamfer worthwhile?
12/03/2019 16:25:19
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 12/03/2019 13:20:57:

I generally prefer a deburring tool with a rotating cranked insert

It's the offset (cranked) geometry that does it for me on the Noga style hole deburrers. Perhaps because I have reduced feel/grip in my dominant hand due to nerve and circulation damage and I can rotate the whole hand rather than "twiddling" the tool with my fingers.

12/03/2019 00:12:35

I too use the Noga tools. I have a couple of internal versions and an external. Wouldn't be without them. To my mind they're cheap enough (and good enough) that I wouldn't bother with kludged-up substitutes.

YMMV

Thread: Myford Lathe on Ebay
11/03/2019 23:58:31
Posted by Bodger Brian on 11/03/2019 22:09:51:

Maybe things have changed since I last bought something but it used to be that one put one’s maximum bid in. The actual bid that showed would only be a certain amount above the existing bid, then eBay would automatically increase your bid in stages if anyone bettered it, up to your maximum. At no point could a rival bidder actually see what your maximum was.

That's true - eBay listings are Dutch Auctions - but if *everyone* does it that way, as far as I can see the bidding would rapidly run through each person's bids, cancelling each other until the maximum overall bidder (not necessarily max bid) was reached. (Which I think happens at lower bidding levels). Which tells everyone what they have to beat - at that point.

Maybe I'm talking out of my hat, Brian because I never do it that way on eBay.

Edited By Bandersnatch on 11/03/2019 23:59:02

11/03/2019 21:19:58

Posted by Bodger Brian on 11/03/2019 18:14:30:

On occasions, if the end of the auction is at a convenient time, I have manually sniped. However, generally I decide what i’m willing to pay, bid that as my maximum and if someone wants to pay more and/or is desperate to buy it, then so be it.

... but the very fact that you place your maximum bid somewhat before the end of the auction (without sniping) may be an inducement to someone else to top it. So the possibility is that you work against yourself.

I used a sniping program this last weekend - for something not relevant here. Set it up 6 days prior, when I first saw the listing; decided what my personal, reasonable maximum was; then walked away. I was quite surprised to find out late Saturday that I'd won since I'd more-or less forgotten about it and had, in any case expected it to go for significantly more than my bid. Other examples most certainly have.

Yes, I was trying it on .... and it worked. My feeling is that, if I had made the same bid "in good time" so to speak, someone would have taken the opportunity to beat it at the price.

10/03/2019 16:22:18
Posted by Hopper on 10/03/2019 08:24:49:

Still static at 1,020 Quid, with eight hours to go. Might get interesting later on. Or someone might get a "bargain".

Still got the "battle of the snipers" to go.

.... oh, I see its ended. What you get for living out of time zone laugh

Edited By Bandersnatch on 10/03/2019 16:24:36

Thread: Laptop batteries
08/03/2019 01:08:38

~ £20 up on amazon.co.uk fwiw.

Thread: Myford Lathe on Ebay
06/03/2019 22:48:29
Posted by Mick B1 on 06/03/2019 09:12:36:
so long as the price stays sensible

I was told - years ago - by someone who sold a great deal on eBay (old cameras etc) that, one reason why some (including him) listed things at way below their real value (with no reserve), was that it got a lot of people interested and bidding. Almost inevitably there would be a "bidding war" on some level as people got carried away, driving the price up often beyond what he privately valued it at.

Listing for the higher price initially usually meant that few people actually bid and the final price would be little above the listing price (or reserve) if , in fact, there were any bids

Thread: Precision division plates
06/03/2019 22:40:15
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 06/03/2019 18:13:14:

So unless you are the NPL, you are probably OK marking out your disks with a protractor and drilling them by hand.

Or doing it directly using a digital readout (which most seem to have these days) on the mill. If the drilling is carefully done that should be pretty accurate in its own right. Might take a little longer but it's not going to be a short job anyway.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest