By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bandersnatch

Here is a list of all the postings Bandersnatch has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Illegal CD copy
13/06/2019 17:23:41
Posted by Frances IoM on 13/06/2019 16:18:36:
some computer mags issue a compendium DVD as a freebie in place of their usual monthly DVD.

At least one computer magazine (MagPi) gives away (free) their monthly magazine in pdf form as well as selling the hard copy.

Thread: Is CAD for Me?
08/06/2019 18:53:01
Posted by David Jupp on 08/06/2019 18:13:15:

Realistically a couple of full days is required to cover all the basics.

When I did mine, the initial course was a week full-time. Maybe 15 or so participants. There were follow-on courses available  for advanced aspects, lasting 1 - 3 days.

When I was a young man and living in the UK there were what we knew as "evening classes" for adult further-education/hobbies available for a fairly nominal sum and run by people who simply had some skills in a particular subject rather than educational qualifications per-se.

I wondered whether they were still around since it would seem (to me) to be ideal for this. After all, there are many people who want to learn CAD for hobbyist activities (particularly 3D-printing) but not to professional levels.

They used to offer such evening (and daytime) courses here (Canada) some years ago (I did a Photoshop course for a very nominal sum) but I suspect that they too have disappeared.

Edited By Bandersnatch on 08/06/2019 18:53:45

08/06/2019 17:46:22

Just a thought: are there no CAD training courses available for a reasonable cost at local educational establishments?

I learnt CAD professionally (Pro/Engineer .... and if you want to see unituitive ....) about 25 years ago when the company I was working for introduced it. Companies are not about to pay people to pick it up on the fly so to speak. They send you on a training course where you get graduated professional instruction which is much better. In particular you can ask questions to address those mental blocks that arise.

Thread: Salvaging Useful Parts from Printers
06/06/2019 01:33:07

They look like all the handy things I've had stashed away for 40-odd years.

Some day real soon now ....

Thread: Is CAD for Me?
04/06/2019 18:19:01
Posted by Nicholas Wheeler 1 on 04/06/2019 18:15:21:

To use 3d CAD, you have to get past the 2d drawing first mindset.

+1

Thread: Does Not Compute
02/06/2019 18:34:15
Posted by old mart on 02/06/2019 17:55:45:

I can't see anything wrong with the address "Santander.co.uk", and the "phishing@" is just a department.

It would be just a department if it were an email link .... but without the ' mailto: ' in front of it, it isn't. It hides a hyperlink that could be taking you anywhere.

I presume that was Neil's point (and a good one).

02/06/2019 17:22:08

OK. having done some experimenting on my own system, I get it now.

(forgot about "mailto:"  )

Edited By Bandersnatch on 02/06/2019 17:38:03

02/06/2019 17:04:50

Getting back to the original theme ...

I still don't get this. A construction such as xxx@yyy.co.uk in the text of an email is simply a request to your email client to open up a new email window with that address and is not inherently dangerous since you can bail out at that point.

It (perhaps) could be dangerous if the sender has attached a hidden IP link to it (if that's even possible) and the user clicks on it unawares but I suspect most decent email clients would recognise the dichotomy and barf.

So was there a hidden IP link?

Edited By Bandersnatch on 02/06/2019 17:06:50

Thread: Practical Electrical Engineer
27/05/2019 01:07:48

... and the ubiquitous F.J. Camm doesn't get a mention? Though perhaps a little later in time.

Edited By Bandersnatch on 27/05/2019 01:10:52

26/05/2019 18:42:41

ABE Books would seem to agree

Thread: Cutting steel to size
24/05/2019 17:20:41

One thing that I wasn't happy about on my 4 x 6 bandsaw when I got it was the grounding. The incoming connection was grounded to the chassis at the point of entry. The motor, however, is mounted to the moving part and the only ground connection between them was mechanically through the pivot.

I jumpered it on mine with a heavy ground braid.

I've had my bandsaw for many years now and it may well be that current models have addressed this issue .... wouldn't hurt to check though.

Thread: aching ribs - posture
19/05/2019 01:26:48

Cheap, over the counter "reading glasses" in several dioptres fufil my shop needs.

18/05/2019 17:35:01
Posted by mick H on 18/05/2019 08:26:34:

I also have the habit, my wife tells me, of holding my breath when doing finicky bits.

Me too. Not to mention sticking my tongue out blush

17/05/2019 18:28:12

Just to buck the trend ....

If it were happening to me, posture isn't the first thing I'd consider. I know when I'm doing fine/finicky work I tend to tense up which leads to clenching of the abdominal/chest muscles. This can lead to a residual ache in that area.

Usually I find some lesser task to do as well to give me frequent breaks.

Edited By Bandersnatch on 17/05/2019 18:29:08

Thread: Cutting steel to size
13/05/2019 01:10:11
Posted by Jeff Dayman on 13/05/2019 00:22:14:

Hi Steve, for some years now I have used a cheapy Chinese import portable metal cutting bandsaw like the DeWalt one at the link below, but not DeWalt brand.

You can actually make a right handy fixed saw out of those cheap portable saws. It was all I used till I got my regular bandsaw:

sm bandsaw - 2-a.jpg

Edited By Bandersnatch on 13/05/2019 01:10:35

Thread: Downloadable issues
11/05/2019 18:53:20
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 11/05/2019 16:34:18:

Apparently although Microsoft have officially ended free upgrades to w10, they haven't switched off the free uprade licence validations servers - essentially 'accidentally' allowing (the great majority of) late upgraders to still take advantage of the offer.

More than that .... at least two Windows Updates for Win-7 in the last few months have been to allow the user to upgrade to Win-10. The wording was a bit obscure and I got the impression that it was more a question of implementing said upgrade than "allowing" it.

There have been similar updates for Win-8x although not very recently as I recall.

[ I check all updates to see what they do, before accepting them ... not just for this reason; some updates have some rather nasty potential side-issues "in some cases" such as screwing up a network and forcing re-installation and re-configuration of the network card - a long term deficiency that MS seems in no hurry to fix. ]

Thread: The Chocolate Fireguard as designed by Mercedes Benz
10/05/2019 01:59:53
Posted by Howard Lewis on 09/05/2019 23:06:39:

Oh, and I am approaching 81; but the toilet is first stop on arrival! My little petrol car has only a 35 litre tank,

slightly edited but .... wow!wink

Thread: Issue Reading New Digital Viewer
08/05/2019 22:20:57

Posted by Steambuff on 08/05/2019 08:56:47:

I cannot download PocketMag issues (As advertised) as I am using Windows 7

When I used PM a couple of years ago I dumped it because:

- They stopped supporting any Windows version other that 10 .... I use 8.1 (looking at their website, that situation may have changed in respect of 8.1 recently - but not Windows 7)

- Prints were poor quality and contained watermarks

- Each time I renewed my MEW subscription (here not with PM), PM totally lost track and it took weeks, with multiple communications, to get all the current and previous issues re-instated.

- PM support was a nightmare to deal with and s-l-o-w.

PM has had their chance with me and is no longer an option.

(Neither is changing my OS or browser to suit the vagaries of a specific website).

Thread: 7 WW de Lorch, Schmidt & Co
07/05/2019 18:19:31

¿

Alt-168 (on the numeric keypad) for a regular Windows setup.

Edited By Bandersnatch on 07/05/2019 18:20:02

Thread: Setting Milling-machine Vice
05/05/2019 01:25:40

If the vice has a through-hole to the table, you can machine a block that clamps in the vice and projects down into a table slot. That way you have no permanent projections from the vice and it can still be fitted in any orientation. (In fact you can machine the locating block - or use a second - so that you can fit the vice in either perpendicular orientation).

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest