By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bandersnatch

Here is a list of all the postings Bandersnatch has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Those little screws for carbide inserts...
23/10/2019 01:59:25
Posted by Robin Graham on 22/10/2019 23:46:10:

Thanks also for the suggestion of eBay for the screws - £3.88 for 50 including postage from China! Not sure I'd go for that (if it seems too good to be true...)

Personally I'd go for it unhesitatingly. I've had lots of nice hardware from eBay/China for similar low prices and free shipping. They have the volumes. And it's not like the financial risk is great anyway.

The only downside is that delivery can take a good while with free shipping ...although with small screws etc, they often pop them into a small padded envelope that arrives quite quickly.

Thread: Pratt Burnerd 4 jaw Chuck jaw alignment
21/10/2019 00:54:12

I don't know if I believe this myself but .... is there any chance this was a "special" produced by Burnerd for a particular customer for a particular purpose and then not used?

Is there any sign that the jaws have, in fact already been reground? It's just that the fact that all four jaws are the same and to the same extent seems significant to me.

Thread: windoze 10
20/10/2019 17:15:20
Posted by old mart on 20/10/2019 14:49:18:

........ for the early adopters to get, but most pc's will not be forced to get it for some time.

I guess that's how beta-testing is done these days.

wink

Thread: Typical
18/10/2019 22:30:01
Posted by Swarf Maker on 18/10/2019 22:03:12:

Anybody who is currently operating with the free to use license can, until the end of this month, take up a special low price subscription offer of $310 (whatever that is in GBP +VAT) per annum in perpetuity.

Does $310 pa really work for an individual running it for personal use? It certainly wouldn't for me but other people may have a different value scale.

Thread: Confession Time!
18/10/2019 18:24:36

Did the instruction leaflet also tell you to wear safety glasses when using it?

Thread: 3D parts printing undersize
17/10/2019 22:29:37

Slicers (Cura etc) generally let you rescale before they prepare the gcode for the printer.

For my money, you are better off making this kind of correction at that point (the slicer) and keeping some sanity in the CAD model by leaving it at the theoretically correct size .... particularly if you get into later revisions.

16/10/2019 18:27:49
Posted by An Other on 16/10/2019 18:02:27:

To sum up, I would like to see an end to the Windows/Linux argument

+1 .... especially around here - it's not like it hasn't already been done to death many times.

Thread: Combined interests?
15/10/2019 17:28:04

It got me a 404

14/10/2019 18:49:21

As I already said, I don't use Win-10, but it's my understanding that with the Home Edition, regular "Important" updates are ultimately non-optional. You can delay them by various means but they will eventually be installed.

Thread: Cheap ER collet advice please
14/10/2019 00:45:39
Posted by Mike Crossfield on 13/10/2019 23:03:41:

I’ve bought ER25 collets a couple of times from CTC and been very happy with the quality and price.

+1

Thread: Tingling from Myford Super 7
12/10/2019 17:35:45
Posted by Martin Shaw 1 on 12/10/2019 15:55:48:

Brian G makes a very valid point, the house previous to my current one was built in 1922 and used the lead rising main as the earth electrode which was fine until the supply pipe was replaced by an MDPE one. It took 18 months to persuade the DNO to provide an earth which took 5 minutes to implement. It's certainly worth checking in an older property that there is an earth at all.

As an outsider, I'm a bit gobsmacked that "the authorities" would allow that situation to develop.

Thread: Solenoid Boxer 4
10/10/2019 16:29:35

Yes it was fun!

My only criticism of the video - in common with many others (and indeed many magazine articles) - is that it launches right in to show you the making of the parts without showing the finished item that you are building. You have to wait right to the end for that. Which leaves you all the way through lacking a vital piece of information.

It would make much more sense (to me) to start with a view of the finished item and then show how it was made.

(In my case, I downloaded the video, skipped to the end then came back to the beginning).

Thread: Warco WM18 milling head shake ( technically spindle is precessing) when plunge milling a blind slot.
10/10/2019 01:26:09
Posted by Sam Longley 1 on 08/10/2019 18:14:14:

My WM16 shakes all over the place even when drilling a simple hole. It vibrates so much that I have elastic bands on the control box to try & stop it shaking itself to bits. The head flexes from side to side visibly.

The unit can be clamped as tight as possible & it just flexes.The whole column seems to bend. Not much use as a mill, unless machining plastics etc.

Mostly I use it as a pillar drill.

Very disappointed with it.

I have a WM16 lookalike and it doesn't do any of the things you describe .... unless I try to take a ridiculously oversized cut (such as unintentionally running the cutter into something under the x-power feed). I don't believe your experience is typical of these machines and it would be well worth investigating the cause.

Thread: Exactly...
10/10/2019 01:18:57
Posted by Daniel on 09/10/2019 22:32:01:

Do you seriously believe that Britain (Gt), is the only country to have contributed to the technological evolution of the human race ?

Dunno what he believes but it wasn't what he said.

Thread: Metrication of models
06/10/2019 17:16:39

Unfortunately, " the " metric system, to me, means either:

- cgs system

- mks system

- rationalised mks system

- SI system

- (and another. I think, which escapes me at the moment).

Each of which were drilled into me at one time or another.

At least the imperial system was relatively stable. Give me a slug any day of the week.

Thread: Mechanisms in modern engineering design Artobolevsky
06/10/2019 01:23:29

Mechanisms and Mechanical Devices is also pretty good and perhaps more up to date.

Thread: Metrication of models
06/10/2019 01:09:24
Posted by DMB on 05/10/2019 22:45:04:
2 ha'pennies = a Bob, sorry 1 shilling"

Huh?

04/10/2019 18:28:40
Posted by IanT on 04/10/2019 17:33:58:

I go to Canada quite regularly and often take the opportunity to pop into Canadian Tyre and pick up any small US threaded fixings needed for some of my machines. They (CT) certainly have metric fixings in stock but so much stuff comes across the US/Canadian border that I don't see any evidence of US threads going away there any time soon. So whilst there might only be three countries officially still Imperial - I think there are probably quite a few more still using it...

That would be "Canadian Tire" ? wink

Canada is nominally metric as a country but mostly imperial in engineering because of the US. Engineering involving scientific apparatus and similar tends to be in metric.

It's still much easier to get imperial sized tooling, hardware etc than metric, although a (somewhat limited) range of metric gear is available if you dig for it.

Edited By Bandersnatch on 04/10/2019 18:29:10

04/10/2019 18:21:55
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 04/10/2019 17:36:03:

Simply converting imperial dimensions to metric isn't really going metric. To do so properly one needs to convert part sizes to use readily available metric sections. Are you really going to machine an axle to 9.525mm over its length rather than use 10mm stock?

... not to mention using metric standard tool radii .... not to mention re-doing your fatigue testing if the change in tool radius might affect it .....

Been there.

Thread: Small Metric Screws
04/10/2019 01:28:02

I recently bought these from eBay .... (eBay item number 282567052565).

Decent enough and the price is certainly right.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
cowbells
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Meridenne Boat 2019
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest