By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bandersnatch

Here is a list of all the postings Bandersnatch has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Mitutoyo depth gauge problem
08/04/2020 18:29:00

Exploded View here if it helps.

Thread: Which Lathe???
05/04/2020 17:19:13

Paul, you,of course, know your own needs but if "big-bore" is driving your choice make sure that you actually need it.

I started with an early Chinese lathe and then got an ML7. I kept the Chinese lathe as well because of the larger bore. I actually used that machine, I think, once in 7 years and then mostly "because it was there".

I finally sold that lathe and haven't missed it.

ymmv.

Thread: Academia.edu
04/04/2020 18:46:49

Frances ... I take it that "email readers" was intended to be "pdf readers".

I didn't realise before that pdf readers ran javascript - you learn something new etc.

In fact I don't use the basic reader, I use the full Acrobat Pro instead. Checking just now, it allows turning off javascript (as well as various levels of javascript security). Don't know if the basic reader allows the same.

I've turned it off for now. Remains to be seen whether its workable without. Maybe it'll stop those spinning images in the pdfs of Hammond boxes.

Thread: 3D printer recommendations
04/04/2020 18:35:52

Thank you, Tony. That worked a treat!

04/04/2020 17:12:07

BTW Tony, your dropbox links don't work for me either. It says the folder doesn't exist and then drops me back to my own dropbox folder.

04/04/2020 17:00:23

So what's the bottom line?

Any pdf might contain malware which is undetected (even generically/heuristically) by multiple scanners so we should all stop downloading pdfs?

Edited By Bandersnatch on 04/04/2020 17:01:19

04/04/2020 01:57:58
Posted by John Baron on 03/04/2020 09:49:47:

If you look through the file you will see that it contains code sequences that are read and executed.

084 0104 0105 0115 0105 0115 099 0111 0100 0101

Like this. This bit of code is not dangerous, just an illustration.

Yet multiple virus scanners find nothing wrong. Doesn't say much for the effectiveness of the scanners does it? And presumably the same scanners wouldn't find any problems with any other pdf's that we all frequently download.

Hmmm.

03/04/2020 22:32:30
Posted by Bandersnatch on 03/04/2020 15:57:47:

Yes .... but will it let you "interleave" them as opposed to placing them side-by-side? I must try that with Cura. Hadn't thought of that aspect when I commented.

I did try this and Cura does allow it in both the current (4.5) version and an older (15.04.6) version.

Thread: Wow, what a battery
03/04/2020 16:15:23

The Questions and Answers further down the page are interesting, including this:

-Question: Why does Power Bank have no print capacity(mAh)?
-Answer: If we printing capacity, the product can not be allowed to transport by the plane, we hope you can understand this.

... and the warranty is 3 months. Since it originates in China it'll probably take most of those 3 months to get to you.

03/04/2020 15:57:47
Posted by Micky T on 03/04/2020 09:49:41:

i use cura slicer with my ender 3 and you can open a file twice (or mas many times as you like) on the same work area and then slice and save as g code for printing. You are able to move the objects around so that they fit within the printing area.

Yes .... but will it let you "interleave" them as opposed to placing them side-by-side? I must try that with Cura. Hadn't thought of that aspect when I commented.

If not, it would need to be done at the CAD level I guess, producing an STL that has both.

Edited By Bandersnatch on 03/04/2020 16:01:29

Thread: Recent conversions of Warco WM18 to CNC?
03/04/2020 01:47:01
Posted by Ronald Morrison on 02/04/2020 23:05:57:
Posted by Bandersnatch on 28/03/2020 15:34:09:

OK, I'll ask the question ... how do people "machine the table". Second mill? Take it to a friend?

i've seen people mention using a mounted stone with their Dremel tool to enlarge the pocket on the table to hold the ball nut.

The heavymetalcnc instructions that Nick Hughes referred to above suggest that too .... but then point out that you need to machine (really machine) the saddle.

03/04/2020 01:36:47

Nice going, Tony! have you considered doing two at a time (if printing area permits) by positioning them so that the leg of one is positioned in the loop of the other?

Should take a bit longer than printing one but not as long as printing two separately.

(it might be possible to do more than two).

Edited By Bandersnatch on 03/04/2020 01:38:34

Thread: Machinery's Handbook
03/04/2020 01:31:02

I still have my 18th Ed from the 60's .... complete with large coffee stain.

The company I worked for had some top-brass visiting and we all had to (a) be at our desks and (b) completely clear the desk except for the piece of paper we were working on. To create the "right impression" (huh?).

So I did this, except that I had a cup of coffee as well. I opened the right filing drawer to check something. It wasn't there so I opened the left filing drawer as well.

And the desk tipped over spilling the coffee all over my 18th Ed.

02/04/2020 22:40:48
Posted by John Baron on 02/04/2020 20:42:31:

The download is also a dangerous PDF file. I feel sorry for Wins users.

What's your basis for that, John?

I downloaded it and scanned it here with AVG and Bitdefender .... negative.

I then had it scanned with multiple engines at VirusTotal .... negative.

02/04/2020 22:10:30
Posted by Chris Evans 6 on 02/04/2020 20:30:41:

My copy is from around 1912, has much changed since then ?

When I bought my 28th Ed. (Desktop) it came with a reprint of the of the 1914 First Ed (which I presume is what you have). It's interesting to browse.

Thread: Problem with LED lights
02/04/2020 22:06:58
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 02/04/2020 19:13:33:

All rather impressive.

Yes ... very. Bit expensive for normal workshop use ..... although someone who was heavily into an activity which needed it might go there. Or at least set it up in a corner somewhere.

Thanks for the links !

02/04/2020 18:36:50

Bob, I've come to the conclusion that people either love the daylight LED lights or hate 'em. My wife hates them with a vengeance and i didn't get along well with them.

It may also depend on actual lighting levels though. I had rather a lot of lighting in the form of fluorescent strip lights when I changed mine and that may have been too much when I switched to (daylight) LED tube replacements. Under those circumstances, the warmer LEDs might have worked better.

Possible it also depends on type of bulb (strip-lights or round bulb).

02/04/2020 18:29:35

Depending on your age/eyesight the large-print desk edition is well worth considering.

(Makes a great device for flattening documents on a copier too !)

Thread: Problem with LED lights
02/04/2020 17:15:51
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 02/04/2020 17:01:21:

The really fussy will want to search out LEDs with ‘High Colour Rendering Index’

Which might not be "over-fussy" at that, in a workshop setting (painting models etc).

Never seen or heard of them myself actually ... might be over-taxing on the pocket?

02/04/2020 16:55:26

My experience with "Daylight" LED's in place of fluorescents was poor too and hard on the eyes ... to the extent that I switched back to fluorescents for the main ceiling lighting. If I went LED again I'd definitely go for the "Warm Light" type.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Warco
cowells
emcomachinetools
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest