By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bandersnatch

Here is a list of all the postings Bandersnatch has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Outrageous?
21/08/2019 22:08:16
Posted by Bill Phinn on 21/08/2019 18:58:16:

Yes, I completely see your point Bandersnatch if the non-availability of the item becomes clear only after the buyer has been left in eager anticipation of its arrival for a week or more, but I suspect that in quite a few cases the outrage comes on after a much shorter delay than that. Those were the cases I had in mind.

Offering for sale, goods that you don't actually have on the anticipation that you can get them after the money rolls in (using said money) was illegal at one time - at least in North America - though I suspect it isn't actually illegal these days.

In any case, the risk for an eBay seller following that practice is negative feedback if it goes wrong (it ain't likely to be positive).

Edited By Bandersnatch on 21/08/2019 22:08:53

21/08/2019 21:51:08
Posted by Harry Wilkes on 21/08/2019 21:25:57:

How ? I recently recieved a refund after a seller failed to deliver ! I find my end at least ebay feedback system will not allow me to leave negative feed back presumably due to a refund being sent !

I hadn't actually got that far Harry - doubtless I'll find the same as you.

Another little "sting in the tail though". After Paypal refunded my payment, my eBay account reverted to showing that the item as "commited to buy" but not yet paid for! I've since straightened that around ... but more hassle.

(Edit)

I just tried and was able to leave (negative) feedback.

Edited By Bandersnatch on 21/08/2019 21:55:37

21/08/2019 18:36:14

(To avoid taking the current Torx Head thread off topic I thought I'd reply to a comment by Bill Phinn here)

<Bill Phinn Wrote>

I suspect this may have something to do with the, to me, largely incomprehensible reaction of those apparently quite common buyers who give negative feedback of the following kind: "Paid instantly, seller said item not in stock & refunded - OUTRAGEOUS!!!"

If a seller lists something on eBay it is (to me) reasonable for the buyer to assume he actually has what he is offering at the time he (the buyer) comitted to buy. After paying upfront and then to be told that the vendor coesn't actually have what he is offering and is refunding, it seems perfectly reasonable to complain.

I just had a somewhat similar case myself. A buy-it-now from the Far East with multiple quantities of the item offered. I payed immediately.

A week later I got a shipping notice .... well these days it says "Your order is bieing shipped" which is actually meaningless. After another three weeks I got a Paypal notice saying the seller had refunded. No communication or explanation from the seller. When I followed up , it transpired he didn't have what he was selling - and apparently couldn't get it.

And yes - I'll probably leave negative feedback.

Thread: Anyone good at fault finding with amplifiers here?
21/08/2019 17:28:33
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 21/08/2019 16:02:08:

"so many projects, so little time"...

.... wait till you get to the average age around here wink

[ "Age" might make an interesting (anonymous) poll. ]

Thread: Babani Press
18/08/2019 18:44:45

Thanks Nick!

There's a whole lot more to this site if you back up to the basic url:

**LINK**

.... including a few issues of possibly my favourite magazine of all time, "Practical Mechanics".

Thread: Borrowing
18/08/2019 01:34:37

Similar story ... I have an antique cylinder phonograph which I stupidly lent to a "friend" for use as a prop in a stage-play. He assured me that it was simply a visual prop ... it would not see any actual use.

What he didn't tell me, until he returned it, was that after the show, he let his kids play with it for a day or two (huh?). It was returned with considerable damage to the horn. He tried to minimise that by claiming that the horn was "pretty dented actually when I lent it to him" (it absolutely wasn't).

Since then, I'm "neither a borrower nor a lender" and he, considerably less a friend.

(The horn incidentally was an all but irreplaceable original .... not one of the modern, replacement spun-aluminum horns)

Edited By Bandersnatch on 18/08/2019 01:38:07

Thread: Grid Frequency [mains electricity]
13/08/2019 18:55:56
Posted by old mart on 13/08/2019 16:35:23:

Seems like my old boss must have monkeyed with his clock to get it running backwards after all.

Perhaps he just bought a Barber's Clock

Thread: Help needed north London Enfield
08/08/2019 02:00:04

Does it need to go all the way in?

Thread: WM18 - Z Axis power feed
04/08/2019 18:58:45

... Oh, sure - whatever lights your candle of course. Wasn't detracting from what you're doing.

04/08/2019 17:10:04

It's not very clear to me whether the intention is as a z-axis feed while cutting or simply to raise/lower the head without effort.

If it's the latter, the poor-man's version is a socket fitted in an electric drill/driver with the clutch set appropriately.

Thread: Things to Come
04/08/2019 01:31:14

Same thing at Vision Electronics here in Canada. Demanded my address, phone-number and email. I declined and they said they couldn't sell to me without them. Fine, I said, left the goods on the counter and started to leave.

At that point they decided that perhaps they could, after all, sell them to me without that info (but not without a lot of grumbling). That was a couple of years ago. It worked well for them - haven't been back since. Their weekly flyer in the local paper gets dumped unread.

Asking Demanding a phone number is somewhat ubiquitous around here .... I just give a fake to save the hassle .... but I won't go beyond that.

Edited By Bandersnatch on 04/08/2019 01:31:58

Thread: Perseid Metoer Shower
03/08/2019 18:56:47

Last year, I'd only looked at this meteor shower animation on a PC. This year I discovered that going to the original site and viewing on an iPad (or presumably similar touch-sensitive device) is much better.

Thread: Things to Come
03/08/2019 18:40:49

While I do have a cellphone, I keep it pretty private. I've given the number to not more than about 4 people including my wife and the car service people. In particular I've always refused to give it to Gmail when they nag me for a mobile number for extra ID purposes.

Today I noticed that Gmail has finally picked it up from somewhere - not me - and have recorded it without my permission. (Then again, this is Google which doesn't need anyone's permission).

Edited By Bandersnatch on 03/08/2019 18:42:24

02/08/2019 15:23:05

(Found this in a Firefox Forum)

CALLER: Is this Gordon's Pizza?
GOOGLE: No Sir, it's Google Pizza.
CALLER: I must have dialled a wrong number. Sorry.
GOOGLE: No Sir, Google bought Gordon's Pizza last month.
CALLER: OK. I would like to order a pizza.
GOOGLE : Do you want your usual, Sir?
CALLER: My usual? You know me?
GOOGLE: According to our caller ID data sheet, the last 12 times you called you ordered an extra-large pizza with three cheeses, sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms and meatballs on a thick crust.
CALLER: OK! That's what I want!
GOOGLE: May I suggest that this time you order a pizza with ricotta, arugula, sun-dried tomatoes and olives on a whole wheat gluten-free thin crust?
CALLER: What? I hate vegetables!
GOOGLE: Your cholesterol is not good, Sir.
CALLER: How do you know ???
GOOGLE: Well, we cross-referenced your home phone number with your medical records. We have the result of your blood tests for the last 7 years.
CALLER: Okay, but I do not want your rotten vegetable pizza! I already take medication for my cholesterol.
GOOGLE :Excuse me Sir, but you have not taken your medication
regularly. According to our database, you only purchased a box of 30 cholesterol tablets once, at Drug RX Network, 4 months ago.
CALLER: I bought more from another pharmacy.
GOOGLE: That doesn't show on your credit card statement.
CALLER: I paid in cash.
GOOGLE : But you did not withdraw enough cash according to your bank statement.
CALLER: I have other sources of cash.
GOOGLE :That doesn't show on your last tax return unless you bought them using an undeclared income source, which is against the law.
CALLER: WHAT THE HECK!!!
GOOGLE: I'm sorry, Sir, we use such information only with the sole
intention of helping you.
CALLER: Enough already! I'm sick to death of Google, Facebook,
Twitter, WhatsApp and all the others. I'm going to an island without
internet, cable TV, where there is no cell phone service and no one to watch me or spy on me.
GOOGLE: I understand Sir, but you need to renew your passport first. It expired 6 weeks ago.

It's only for your own good...

Edited By Bandersnatch on 02/08/2019 15:24:01

Thread: Edison thread tap
01/08/2019 01:50:43

OP, couldn't you just take the guts from an ES lampholder (the screw part) and insert that into whatever you're making?

Thread: Another scam
29/07/2019 22:13:06
Posted by Fowlers Fury on 29/07/2019 10:48:29:

'would recommend a look at the website "Who called me?"

**LINK**

The junk calls that I get invariably spoof the calling number .... often with a local number, sometimes even my own.

Thread: Anyone recognise this mains connector ?
29/07/2019 22:00:47
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 29/07/2019 20:56:42:

This is probably worth bookmarking for reference: **LINK**
https://www.plugsocketmuseum.nl/ApplConn_overview.html
...it's a fascinating site, and well organised.

It is indeed a fascinating site, Michael ..... thanks for that.

yes

Thread: Why do I keep getting logged-off?
25/07/2019 19:18:29
Posted by JasonB on 25/07/2019 15:46:21:

Must be a FF thing as I usually have a couple or more ME tabs open at the same time. Often udd photos to an album in one while posting on another and don't get logged off.

Well a couple or more isn't five of course but to check, I went through the list and opened them one by one .... and didn't get logged off. Similarly, when I browse the "Latest Posts" lists I typically middle-click on the ones of interest to open them in separate tabs and then go through and read them. I often have 5 to 10 tabs open without a problem.

I can only assume that, when I do what I referred to in my previous post, the rapid repeat-rate of the consecutive requests is a problem (I have a fast internet connection).

25/07/2019 00:57:46

Just to add to the reasons for getting unceremoniously logged out - since I've never seen it mentioned:

I have a bar of bookmarks on my toobar in FF, one of which is an ME folder which opens to five links to various ME site pages. Sometimes, instead of left clicking on the folder, I unthinkingly centre-click ... which of course opens all five links in separate tabs.

This will unfailingly get me logged off !

Thread: Another "what is it lathe"
23/07/2019 18:34:14

There's actually some inscription (or 'exscription' ) on the LH side of the bed below the leadscrew Where "WINFIELD" is in Neil's second picture. I can bring it almost up to the point of legibility by fooling around in a graphics program - but not quite. Except that it doesn't appear to say "WINFIELD". It might say " ---- MADE "

Perhaps Paul could let us know.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Advertise With Us
Meridienne Sept 2019
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest