By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Thorne

Here is a list of all the postings John Thorne has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Merry Christmas to one and all!
25/12/2015 19:10:07

Happy Christmas and New Year to you all. Have a great time every one.

John

Thread: help needed in exeter
13/11/2015 21:52:28

I have today made a small part for a 1928 Ariel motor bike and 2 brass dome nuts and threaded bar for a copper kettle handle as freebies including the material. I am very happy to help anyone and to pass on any knowledge I have as after all someone in the distant past and not so distant past took the trouble to show and teach me. What gives me the greatest pleasure is show the younger lads at our local steam railway how to use a lathe, a mill, the power hacksaw and hand tools etc. They are the future and the motto in the railway workshop is, We do the impossible in five minutes miracles take a little longer but nothing is impossible. If I lived close to Exeter I would be happy to help but I am afraid it is a long pop. As to our local club I am a member but due to other comitments have not been able to get to the meetings this year so can't really past comment. However I will be at the AGM next week and hoping that next year I can join in a bit more But will they want a grumpy old man ??

John

12/11/2015 20:49:11

I agree with Nigel on this. I make a lot of parts for other people mostly for free but always charge for the material I use. If it is a big job I do make a small charge for my time but people that really anoy me are those who come to me with a bit of rusty old metal they have pulled out of the hedge some where or found at the bottom of the garden and expect it to be turned into a work of art. Also the " it will only take you five minutes to make this" ones as if they know that why can't they make it for their selves. My moan for today.

John

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread
10/11/2015 21:02:26

Hi Some more parts made at home for a Westinghouse pumpWestinghouse Pump Parts

John

01/11/2015 16:38:17

John Thorne, how did you go about the bores on your drain cocks please? I want to make some for my 4" Durham cylinder, the ones available commercially are too small.

Brian

Hi Brian

Sorry it took so long to get back to you but did not see your post till today. The tapered bore was done with a small boring with the top slide set over and the cock plugs were turned at the same setting. I first drilled the bodies and used that as a guide to set them up in a 4 jaw chuck. The body shape was formed after so as to avoid jaw marks on the finished job. I can PM you the drawing if you require and you can scale it down

John

08/10/2015 19:31:04

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the nice coments I was very please with the way they turned out. The material used was SAE 660 and the machines used were a Myford ML7R and a mill I bought from Amadeal several years ago. Bob yes I am a Islander and volunteer at Havenstreet although the cocks were made in my own workshop at home

John

06/10/2015 18:12:44

I have made these over the last three days. 2 lubricating cocks and 2 drain cocks for full size Westinghouse air compressors as fitted to the engines on the Isle of Wight Steam Railway

Johndrain cocks and lub cocks.jpg

Thread: A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
25/12/2014 20:32:13

Have a great xmas and a very happy new year best wishes from the I.o.W.

Thread: What's on this weekend
22/08/2013 15:26:37

I.o.W Steam Railway Steam Show this weekend Adams 02 and Terrier runing plus Traction Engines,side shows etc. Friday to Monday Come and enjoy

John

Thread: 3 Phase invertors for a Myford ML7
22/09/2012 21:37:49

Hi

I fitted a Imo inverter and a 1/2 hp 3 phase motor with a control pod to my Warco WMT300 lathe last December. Very easy to fit. Instructions easy to follow. I am very pleased with it There are some photos in my album. Would recommbmend it.Got it from Transwave (just a happy customer)

John

Edited By John Thorne on 22/09/2012 21:40:22

Edited By John Thorne on 22/09/2012 21:41:42

Edited By John Thorne on 22/09/2012 21:43:34

Thread: Motor suitability?
29/05/2012 21:04:28

Hi Bill

Looking at your photos again one of the four wires is the earth wire,yellow and green,this is conected to the motor frame, the other 3 wires will be conected to the 3 motor terminals. I fitted a Imo inverter and 3 phase motor to my WMT300 lathe last year and I am very pleased with the results.There are some photos in my album. I must admit I thought it would be more difficult to do than it was. No magic smoke. Would not go back to single phase motor.Good Luck.

Regards

John

28/05/2012 21:24:53

Hi Bill

You can download a users manual for your inverter from

**LINK**

Regards

John

Thread: Amadeal XJ300 miller T slots
03/01/2012 22:27:53
Hi
I bought a AMA25LV mill from Amadeal last year with MT3 taper and I am really pleased with it. Good service from friendly people. I already had ER32 collets and a MT3 taper shank holder. So far this all I have needed to use for milling, drilling and taping. The only other tool I have used in the mill is a 2 ins boring head No Problems so far.
John
Thread: Christmas 2011
25/12/2011 11:33:25
Merry Christmas and a very happy and healthy New Year to you all
Best Wishes
John
Thread: Hi, and Suffolk Dredging Tractor
23/12/2011 21:36:26
Hi Pete
I also fall into the category "love"
I am building the dredging tractor.I do not have the drawings but I do have the ME's that cover the construction. The spring hangers are made from 1 inch square box section with a wall thickness of 1/8 so this will give the internal measurement of 3/4 inch.The springs leaves are made from 3/4 inch x 1/8 inch flat mild steel so should fit without reducing the ends. The sub frame is supported at the front end by the 2nd shaft which runs in 2 brackets bolted to the back of the engine columns. at the rear end there are 2 slotted links each side going from the spring hangers down to the sub frame. This will give limited movement but I think they are more like dummy springs as there will not be much movement coming from 4 or 5 leaves made from 1/8 thick mild steel. There are some really good photos in the archive at station road steam of the Suffolk. I have alter the sub frame to suit the materials had to hand.Progress so far Fully working engine, main frame,transmission, rear wheels and springs and front axle and wheels. I hope to fit twin winches. The biggest stumbling block will be the boiler. Still I have a long way to go before I need that.
happy xmas
John
Thread: Clarke CL500M Lathe conversion to Inverter drive
11/12/2011 19:24:02
HI
I have just fitted a IMO Inverter and 3 phase motor to my Warco WMT300. It was a WMT300/2 until I bought a "proper" mill earlier this year. Very pleased with the results.

Thread: The Sandown Park Model Engineer Exhibtion 2011
11/12/2011 19:13:33
I spent Saturday at the show. Really enjoyed it. The standard of workmanship was very high. Better than last year. Also nice to see so many trade stands.Its a good time to see what machine tools and handtools there are, just need a bigger pocket. I did buy a milling vice and a QC toolpost, with 6 spare holders for my lathe. A big thankyou to ME/MEW and all the exhibitors and helpers Well done.Looking forward to next year

John
Thread: Why are milling machines so b****y expensive
03/12/2011 17:29:00
I have a Amadeal AMA 25LV which is the same as Warcos WM16 except it has a larger
motor and a No 3MT instead of a No 2 MT. I required No 3MT as all my holders were
this size as the tail stock on my lathe (Warco WMT300) is a No 3 MT. The price is lower
than the WM16. So far it has preformed very well and I have no complaints about it.
I will admit that I did purchase it with DRO's already fitted and a power feed to the table but they do offer the basic machine.
John
Thread: Issue using Google Chrome
07/11/2011 21:49:31
Hi
I am new to this forum.I have been following it for about a year now (with great interest) and I have picked up some useful tips. I also use Google Chorme.and find that when I
go to insert a emotion the window opens at the top of the page while I am typing at the bottom of the page. Computers bah give me a spanner and copper mallet any day
John
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest