By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Matt Harrington

Here is a list of all the postings Matt Harrington has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Moore and Wright Value Series
21/07/2016 11:26:01

Having lost my patience yesterday with a far east digital caliper, I find I am in need of a replacement! I notice that Moore & Wright have a 'value' series and seem very cheap. Anyone any experience of these?

Here is one firm selling them:

http://www.machine-dro.co.uk/150mm-6-digitronic-digital-caliper-moore-wright-basic-line-110-dbl-series.html

Even the fractional ones seem reasonable

Matt

Thread: Unusual reamer
09/05/2016 16:43:21

From distant memory, dual reamers were sometimes used on car suspension setups. For example, an Austin Healey had a front wishbone that used a double reamer BUT I have never seen an adjustable one - maybe a cheaper alternative to muliple reamers used on MOWAG etc

Matt

Thread: Myford DRO and Taper Turning attachment
07/04/2016 13:29:47

Michael, That is very neat! I have set mine up my I may modify mine slightly now it is all working. I may just modify my bracket like yours.

(**LINK**)

Anyone fitted a scale to an S7 top slide?

Matt

07/04/2016 11:01:24

Raymond, I agree, the Newall stuff is great but at this point in time I have plumped for an Allendale M-DRO system using slim magnetic scales. The primary factor being 1/3 the price.

I have been unable to make suitable bracketry to enable the Taper attachment to remain connected so that unit has been removed!

I will post a couple of photos when I get a moment.

Rgds, Matt

Thread: What email client
09/03/2016 11:52:03

Harry, What have you been using up until now? Matt

Thread: Aciera F3 - info on headstock dismantling, please
24/02/2016 10:20:47

Roger,

I can probably sort you out with a copy of the appropriate manual. PM me and I'll get back to you.

Regards, Matt

08/02/2016 14:34:02

Did you get anywhere with this? I did reply to your PM but never heard back. Regards, Matt

Thread: Gear Cutters
08/02/2016 14:30:01

John, I was hoping you were going to say that! I have Tufnol sheet but not the fabric type (think it is the paper type) and so the Oilon seemed a good option for me. I shall now progress with the next step! Thank you. Matt

08/02/2016 13:12:09

Kwil, I know this is an old post, but does it matter if it is bar or sheet Oilon? It so happens I have a piece of Oilron and was considering using this for the gears of the Clutch unit that I am in progress with. Rgds, Matt

Thread: Myford DRO and Taper Turning attachment
24/01/2016 09:02:06

Nick, I'm still stuggling in my mind how to overcome / bypass the taper turning attachment fitted to the lathe with the read head. I tried to get hold of Newall on Friday but with no success (to call back!) and they have still to reply to my online enquiry from 8 days ago! Are you able give me a ballpark figure for their inductive type scales / kit price so I can either rule them out or persue them?

My current thought it to have the read head off to the RHS of the carriage and dropping down to the scale by the right of the taper turning attachment. The scale would probably mounted under the tape turning attachmnet, nearer to the mounting feet. This means the scale will probably 'project' past the tailstock...

Any other thoughts?

Matt

20/01/2016 16:50:45

Thanks Brian. I'll give Newall a buzz tomorrow.

Kwil, I have just looked at the Micosyn product and it looks very neat! Will send you a PM

Rgds, Matt

20/01/2016 16:17:52

Can anyone point me in the right direction to achieve a suitable scale for the rear of the S7 that has the taper turning attachment fitted?

Anyone acheived it?

Thanks, Matt

Thread: Centre finder?
04/12/2015 17:24:38

I think I will make a collet and knurled closer similar to yours and see how we go.

Matt

04/12/2015 08:57:16

Thanks Gary,

In your centre finder is the pin fixed or does it slide along and the knurled part used to fix the pin in situ? I'm obviously missing parts here and I still cant see how the small attachments (stored in the body) are used on it.

Matt

01/12/2015 23:20:11

Thanks. Do you think the finger/needle is within some sort of collet? Interestingly the gimble is spring loaded in one direction.

Matt

01/12/2015 11:23:11

Hi,

I was given this tool the other day:

img_2442.jpg

It is more than likely a centre finder (?) but does anyone have a similar tool and able to tell me what bits are missing? (It is made by J Whitworth & Co)

(There are a few more photos in an album I have just created)

Matt

Thread: Myford Motor Swarf Guard
06/11/2015 10:46:24

Bandersnatch, that is an elegant solution - two guards in one!

Norman, where to buy those bits? Myfords?

Thanks guys, I'll probably go off and buy some ally sheet.....

Matt

05/11/2015 17:12:38

sad I was hoping to lavish something on the lathe......

05/11/2015 16:39:27

The time has come to replace the modified saucepan that protects the motor on my S7 ! Whilst it is functional, it is not very attractive and is now rattling like mad.

Does anyone have an alternative suggestion?

Matt

Thread: Screw cutting Advice
05/11/2015 12:32:04

James,

I have found that using the threading tool in this set : **LINK** gives me an excellent finish - My one wasn't in this set but it looks identical. It is a preformed v tool (HSS) and saves any grinding! THese even worked really well on stainless steel. I also use Dormer Super Cut asa lubricant - its thick and sticky and stays on the thread well.

Matt

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
JD Metals
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest