By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Matt Harrington

Here is a list of all the postings Matt Harrington has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: rotary encoder dro
09/02/2021 23:46:49

Duncan, I'd be interested as well. Do you think it is possible to hook up to a Sino DRO?

Regards, Matt

Thread: Viewing online archive
28/01/2021 09:52:57

John, not to worry, I have unearthed a copy of 189

Matt

Thread: That very light, brown rust / discolouration
25/01/2021 20:16:56

Lanolin - I was once given a bottle of the stuff and IIRC it was mixed with white spirit. It was used by RR to preserve some parts of an RR jet engine (cant remember what) . I used to use it on my motor bike spokes & rims during winter months. It was brilliant!

Matt

Thread: How big Are Your Chips
25/01/2021 20:13:13

Harry, that is a great photo. I'd love to see the machine that was used.....

Matt

Thread: Updating KX1 to USB or Ethernet Controller
25/01/2021 17:08:39

What about a UC100 form these guys:

https://www.cnc4you.co.uk/UC100-USB-Motion-Controller

I don't have a Sieg but I installed mine on my Syil x4+ in about 5 minutes and it seems to work perfectly.

Just a thought....

Matt

Thread: Shipping delays and costs
22/01/2021 23:59:50

Ketan, I can't add anything sensible to this thread but I do feel for anyone who's business is reliant on foreign manufacture etc. I can't see things improving for quite some time.....

Matt

Thread: Water pump for spindle cooling
22/01/2021 00:17:07

Howard, that is what I am led to believe and it surely can do no harm....

Matt

Thread: Viewing online archive
19/01/2021 11:05:23

With the demise of Adobe flash, what is the plan in order to view back issues online, say, for instance issue 189?

Matt

Thread: Water pump for spindle cooling
19/01/2021 10:39:22

Out of interest, do you use any form of coolant additive to the water?

Matt

Edited By Matt Harrington on 19/01/2021 10:42:24

Thread: Is this Gold?
08/12/2020 10:14:38

Clive, Arkansas stone is what engravers love to use to sharpen tooling. Whilst you can buy it, I believe the quality is no where near as good as it used to be.

Matt

Thread: Useful MEW Table
08/12/2020 10:08:18
Posted by Clive Foster on 08/12/2020 09:18:05:

But who has enough free wall space to put one up?

Clive

I couldn't agree more - I'd feel guilty using valuable wall space for a chart! wink

Matt

Thread: Parts Washer Pump
07/12/2020 09:37:49

Thanks for all the replies and apologies for the delay.(distraction!)

I have sourced a pump form Zoro and have removed a small part of the unit and it is currently soaking in my degreasing fluid. I'll advise in due course if it withstands the solvent cleaner. In the past I have used water based degreasing fluid and they merely stipped off all of the paint on the parts washer, hence moving over to a solvent based one. I now wish I had kept the old washer so I could have referenced the part as that unit never gave any issue.

Matt

30/11/2020 15:54:06

A while back, I stupidly (and accidentally) kicked my small parts washer whilst it languished on the floor. This resulted in the cable being 'removed' from the switch and in turn the pump was broken and unserviceable. So, at the time I looked around for a replacement and found that I could buy a new unit cheaper than the pump on its own. Now I know why! Today, I went to use the unit and found the pump had melted in my solvent degreasing fluid. This never happened with the old pump.

It transpires that these pumps are for fish tank use and so only suitable for water based fluids!

So, My question is: can anyone suggest an appropriate small pump as a replacement that will withstand solvent base degreasing fluids?

Matt

Thread: Lathe improvements?
25/11/2020 09:31:01

"...This is a _model_engineering_ forum, the whole raison d'etre of which is to "waste" time and money..."

Andy, never a truer word.....

Matt

Thread: Delay to Issue 299
15/11/2020 10:46:11

Thanks for the update

Matt

Thread: Create Tools contact
13/11/2020 10:24:46

Thanks Steve, I'm in no hurry, so will wait and see if they reply. They are now selling on ebay and don't even respond through that medium,,,

Matt

Thread: Multifix toolholder Vendors
12/11/2020 09:56:04

Steve,

I've never really looked at the PeWe site and they offer some interesting accessories. Like Paulimot, PeWe are based in Germany so you can get them delivered without the worry of of import duties etc. (until Brexit changes things!!)

I also notice they do a holder to hold a die grinder/Dremel type tool - could be useful for internal grinding etc.

I still suspect that most of these units are all made by Create of similar in China.

Create do a retracting toolholder but I can't get any response from them...

Keep us posted.

Matt

10/11/2020 18:56:20

The only thing to check for is that toolholders fit when they arrive. I think quazlity control can be a little poor. I bought a few from Create Tools last year and one didn't fit very well. I also have an original Multifix and all the holders seem to be interchangeable.

Matt

10/11/2020 18:42:35

Can I suggest Paulimot

I have bought Multifix from them in the past and prices are comparable to Create Tools (who probably make them)

Delivery for my last lot (Size A) was free and took a few days by DHL.

BTW, I still can't get hold of Create Tools who make a retracting toolholder - mind you, they are based in Wuhan!!

Matt

Thread: Boxford 500 VSL Metric compound slide screws
06/11/2020 10:00:14

The topslide has that feature already (Std o the VSL) It can be adjusted whilst in the lathe so a nice feature. I actually want to make a new set for some castings I have.

The cross slide is nut is very slim and there is no realy way of doing this mod.

Matt

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest