By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Matt Harrington

Here is a list of all the postings Matt Harrington has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: DRO Z-Axis /4th axis "combiner"
25/03/2021 12:47:41

What a great idea. My mill has no quill but one day.......

Matt OH

Thread: Anyone done any Nickel or Chrome plating of mild steel parts at home?
25/03/2021 12:45:49

I agree with KWIL. Try a local plater. I have sent small batches of items to be bright nickel plated to a company near me and the cost was relatively low.

Matt

Thread: There may be a delay in some deliveries ...
24/03/2021 10:45:52

I hate to think of the cost of:

a) removing that sand

b) the cost of delay to all the other ships

Matt

Thread: Antikythera Mechanism : New-ish findings
13/03/2021 11:34:34

Michael, apologies - I hadn't seen the other thread. Always seems a shame that information get diluted like this.

Matt

13/03/2021 10:40:33

A new report to keep up your enthusiasm!

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-84310-w

Matt

Thread: lathe knurling tool
09/03/2021 17:17:22

My favourite is the Marlco knurler. It has the advantage of a lever to easily put on the 'cut'

Noel, I would love to know how you get on with the cut knurler. I believe they produce a much crisper type knurl.

Matt

Thread: T slots
09/03/2021 17:11:41

Anyone tried flexible magnetic sheet. I have some somewhere and was thinking of trying this but have never got around to it.....

Matt

Thread: Antikythera Mechanism : New-ish findings
28/02/2021 09:53:59

Dave, If you have a moment, have a look at Clickspring - Youtube project - he goes into the making of tools etc etc.

All fascinating stuff.

Matt

PS, My rejects bin is not for general viewing!

28/02/2021 09:12:06

Michael, my BHI copy awaits my morning coffee. I find the Antikythera Mechanism fascinating.

Matt

Thread: Boxford STS Screwcutting Clutch
16/02/2021 10:34:52

Gray, Great to see your designs being implemented on another lathe. I have yet to get to grips with the Southbend drawings you sent me and thus modify for the Boxford (AUD type) but I will get there....

Matt

Thread: Radio Interference
16/02/2021 10:18:28

As an interim update, I have borrowed a DAB radio and that performs fine. So, I plan on tryng ferrite jobbie on the radio lead. Will advise.

Matt

15/02/2021 16:27:06

Dave, the motor isn't even running and the PC isn't switched on. The Syil is merely powered up awaiting action!

Matt

15/02/2021 15:37:21

To clarify, I mean that whilst the machine is powered up - ie switched on and remaining on. As Soon as the power is switched off, then normality returns and the radio burst into life!!

Yes, a friend suggested a DAB radio but the reception is not great here...

Matt

Thread: Confused ....Advice needed rotary table vs dividing head
15/02/2021 15:33:54

Having had to help a friend recently with the same dilema, I can recommend a Soba HV4 (or HV6) and then you have the option of buying their dividing conversion set (which is not that expensive)

Matt

Thread: Radio Interference
15/02/2021 15:28:11

Well, I thought I would have shufty inside the dark corners of the Syil control box. Low and behold was an in-line EMI filter,EMI filter in Syil control box

Can I assume that this is faulty considering the above problems? I'll order another unit (cheap) and see if it has any effect.

Matt

14/02/2021 18:44:46

Thanks Howard, I shall do some research and buying tomorrow!

Matt

14/02/2021 17:55:23

Well, I can now advise that the radio (running off batteries) id not affected, so it must the CNC feeding back nasties into the mains. I'll see what I can find to try and stop this. As Duncan said, a ferrite toroid is worth trying.

I suppose I could try something like this on the machine:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BELLING-LEE-6A-250V-IEC-RFI-EMC-MAINS-INPUT-FILTER-WITH-TRANSIENT-PROTECTION/163883963164?hash=item26283ed31c:g:1zMAAOSwpXtanBSx

Matt

14/02/2021 17:37:09

Duncan, the radio is mains powered. I think it will take batteries (not sure) so that is a worthwhile experiment to see if it is mains fed.

Matt

14/02/2021 17:23:53

When I am in the workshop (especially on a Sunday) I like to listen to the radio. However the issue I have is that I have electrical interference when I switch on my CNC mill. The radio reception (FM) goes fairly quiet and of poor quality. Power the mill off and all is as it should be.

Is there some sort of gadget I can get to stop this electrical interference?

Matt

Thread: Indexable Lathe Cutters advice.
11/02/2021 18:30:49

Does anyone have the holder info for the 'W' shaped inserts (WCMT06) I have plenty of these inserts but only one holder that is about 6mm thick and a bit flimsy for my liking.

Rob, are the codes on the side of the WCMT holders you have shown the picture of?

Matt

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest