By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Matt Harrington

Here is a list of all the postings Matt Harrington has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Myford Super 7 Toolpost issue
07/05/2021 13:20:20

The only disadvantage is that the tool post needs to be oriented so that the holder drops below the level of the top of the top slide. This means you can't orientate the tool post to an angle - but you can orientate the slide - if that makes sense.

Matt

06/05/2021 23:16:01

Jason, I'm interested to know why my last post was edited by you.

Matt

06/05/2021 10:50:33

These guys claim their topslide casing is used for all '7's:

**LINK**

I always thought the ML7 topslide was of a different size. I'd be interested to know for sure....

Matt

Edited By JasonB on 06/05/2021 12:24:38

05/05/2021 12:04:47

Jason, the 250-001 holders are the same ones as sold by other vendors and to be honest, I have never had any issue with rigidity. In fact I also use a modified version of these holders on some of my Tripan toolposts, again with no issue. Matt

05/05/2021 09:40:30

Matt, What QC system is on the Myford at the moment? You can get a suitable low cost QC system that takes 12mm at a good price on Banggood (and UK stock and thus quick delivery). You could then sell on your exsisting one....Just a thought.

Matt

Thread: Kennedy Hacksaw Dashpot Oil
02/05/2021 17:30:16

Sorry - I see Bill has already highlighted the oil which I missed for some reason.....

02/05/2021 17:28:42

I see mto remember somewhere that ISO140 oil was the correct 'stuff'. Anyway that is what I use for the damper and it works well. Mine is converted to v-belt so no flat belt issues like I used to have...

Matt

Thread: Importing a power table feed
26/04/2021 11:43:06

Like Pete, I had the same thing the other day for an ebay item coming from China. Interestingly the total price didn't change and the tax was part of the final price. However, I was soon informed that there was a 'customs' issue and would I like a refund. This was probably because there was no profit in the sale. Ironically, I found a similar item on Amazon (and UK based) at half the price - so it does pay to shop around.

Matt

Thread: Laptop with a SD card slot
12/04/2021 13:35:59

I use this type of reader:

**LINK**

Just make sure that it doesn't foul nearby USB ports. I tend to transfer from the SD card and then remove ( or the otherway around!)

Matt

Thread: Can any of you guess what this is from?
11/04/2021 23:12:27

I could be completely wrong but is it an overhead drive unit for a Jones Shipman Cylindrical grinder? Model 520?

Matt

Thread: Myford Super 7 spanner sizes
10/04/2021 09:42:41

As Steve says, my 'go to' spanner for day to day stuff is a quality Bahco adjustable.

Matt

Thread: Set Screws on TTS Gauge Holders
10/04/2021 09:38:37

Interesting stuff. Can someone explain why you would use this device over something like a 3D CNC probe and say ProbeIt addon for MACH3? Trying to understand the differences.

Matt

Thread: New car - or is it a wheeled computer?
26/03/2021 10:06:11

And, of course, Kiwi Bloke, you try getting a manual for all that gadgetry! Let alone trying to repair it. I do find it peculiar that you can't press a button and switch those 'enhancements' (!) off.

I suppose all of this technology is the precursor to driverless cars - god help us!

Matt

Thread: Which lathe to purchase
25/03/2021 23:50:30

Blimey, so many Beeston's

Matt

25/03/2021 16:32:22

Michael, no probs.

Matt

25/03/2021 14:59:19

Leeds? He is in Beeston, south of Nottingham..

Rgds, Matt

25/03/2021 12:55:36

Michael,

I have no idea where you are but a friend of mine who needs the space is about to sell his Chester Craftsman lathe. It has probably done about 10 hours of use from new! He is based in near Beeston (of Myford fame!) I think his price is around your budget and if you are interested, I can put the 2 of you in touch with each other.

Matt

Thread: DRO Z-Axis /4th axis "combiner"
25/03/2021 12:47:41

What a great idea. My mill has no quill but one day.......

Matt OH

Thread: Anyone done any Nickel or Chrome plating of mild steel parts at home?
25/03/2021 12:45:49

I agree with KWIL. Try a local plater. I have sent small batches of items to be bright nickel plated to a company near me and the cost was relatively low.

Matt

Thread: There may be a delay in some deliveries ...
24/03/2021 10:45:52

I hate to think of the cost of:

a) removing that sand

b) the cost of delay to all the other ships

Matt

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Warco
ChesterUK
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest