By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Lathejack

Here is a list of all the postings Lathejack has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Today on Talking Pictures TV
24/05/2021 13:56:39

I think it's the best channel of the lot, in fact I'm watching another episode of Look At Life being shown on there now.

I'm hoping they will show all those old Trade Test Colour Films produced by Shell and BP that were repeated regularly on BBC2 throughout the 1960's and early 70's. Such as The Home Made Car, Paint, Giuseppina, Prospect For Plastics and The Motor Car Engine plus many others.

Thread: Install & commission of a Chester Cub 630 (Warco GH750)
23/05/2021 20:47:05

Well it looks like a very nice lathe you've got there Callum, still in its original unmarked paint by the looks of it. The crosslide and apron hand wheels are not the type that were usually fitted I think, which were delicate looking black cast items, those two hand wheels on yours look to be the chrome plated cast type that were fitted to the old Chester Champion mill and also sold as spares by Chester in different diameters. It's interesting that Chester deny all knowledge of their Cub lathes, but not really surprising.

I do remember when Warco and Chester sold these machines new. Excel machine tools also sold them as the XL1230, and I remember once reading in their spec that the crosslide had a Stainless steel feedscrew running in an oil bath, don't know if that was ever true. The crosslide itself looks like a nice long slab of iron ground all over, but on one I examined I found that the dovetails on the underside of the crosslide did not continue all the way to the far end, with the top and sides being just a thinner walled shell acting like a cover. So any temptation to mill in a useful tee slot or two is best avoided.

Many a time I fiddled with these lathes at various engineering shows and at Warco's premises when I was trying to decide which new Chinese lathe to buy around 20 years ago. Some early versions had a small thread dial indicator rather crudely secured to the side of the apron with just a very thin strip of bent steel and a screw, later ones were improved which looks to be the type fitted to yours.

I can recall when Warco discontinued them and Roger Warren telling me that they wanted a lathe with a screwcutting gearbox with more selectable feedrates built in, i think the Cub box has just nine quickly selectable feedrates, which is fine most of the time especially for home workshop use, chaingewheels are used for more feedrates. The D1-5 spindle nose is a little unusual, most imported geared head lathes of this size use the more common D1-4 fitting, but the rubber wiper on the crosslide dovetails and the tang slot on the tailstock quill are a nice feature on the Chester Cub and Warco's version of it.

Edited By Lathejack on 23/05/2021 20:48:30

Edited By Lathejack on 23/05/2021 20:56:02

Edited By Lathejack on 23/05/2021 21:14:10

Thread: Revolving centre, how to dismantle?
14/03/2021 11:25:04

A threaded cap with a bolt through the middle is a great idea, wish I had thought of that. But this is one of the revolving centres I dismantled and unfortunately it does not have a thread inside the end, the end plug is just pushed in and held with a rubber O ring. The bearings inside the body were a radial needle roller and a ball thrust bearing.

20210314_110553.jpg

13/03/2021 21:34:16

I have dismantled a couple of revolving centres several years ago and they were knocked apart using a soft drift on the shaft in the end that you show, although mine didn't have a bearing right in the end of the taper like yours.

Thread: chinese lathe
13/03/2021 20:38:25
Posted by Oily Rag on 13/03/2021 18:18:26:

How weird!

The South Bend 9" uses 3 prismatic ways with just one front inner flatway for the tailstock (the inner rear prismatic way being the other tailstock locator). Hence the saddle runs on the outer prismatic ways fore and aft. Its noticeable that this gives good resistance to 'skewing' of the saddle when reversing the saddle. I assume the Boxford being a clone of the SB is similar.

The Emco Maximat Super 11 uses a similar bed form to this Chinese lathe. But the front Prismatic is a substantial height and width whereas the rear inner prismatic is quite small and performs the tailstock location guide. I wonder if the Chinese / East Germans / Russians copied the Emco style bed?

Martin

The old Boxford Southbend clone lathes do indeed use a triple V bedway, with two V ways guiding the saddle, but the Smart and Brown Sable which is also based on the Southbend lathe abandoned the third V way and reverted back to a single V and a flat way to guide its saddle.

There were also some very nice Taiwanese made lathes of 5 1/2, 6 and 6 1/2 inch centre height produced in the 1970's and 80's that had beds with triple V ways. Some of these were badged as Lam and Lantaine, Warco used to offer it as the 300B or B300 I think in the 1980's and these lathes were higher quality Taiwanese made versions of the more recent Chinese made Warco BH600 and Chester Craftsman machines which have sadly lost the third V way.

The current Southbend branded lathes made in the Far East and sold by Grizzly Machine Tools in the USA use a triple V bed, including the new SB Heavy 10 model which is actually a copy of the earlier Emco Super 11.

Most Emco lathes, such as the Compact 8 and the Super 11, used a bed with a tiny tailstock V way, but with a buttress type V way at the front to guide the saddle. The buttress V way is tilted over so the wide outer flank has a shallow angle, but the rather narrow inner flank is at a much steeper angle than a standard V in an attempt to better absorb side thrust from cutting forces. The Far Eastern made copies of the Emco Compact 8, known as the 918 and 920, still use the very small Emco style V way for the tailstock, but reverted back to a standard V guide with equal angled flanks at the front of the bed to guide the saddle.

Edited By Lathejack on 13/03/2021 20:57:18

Edited By Lathejack on 13/03/2021 21:07:06

Edited By Lathejack on 13/03/2021 21:10:30

13/03/2021 19:23:41

The Chinese lathe bed and saddle in the photo looks like it could be one of the 180 or 210 lathes, so 7 or 8 inch swing with 13,14 or 16 inches between centres.

It is certainly sat correctly. The underside of the saddle has a V way cast into it on the left side of the image which has plenty of clearance around the tailstock V guidway formed on the bed to ensure it does not touch it, as well as clearance over the flat tailstock guidway on the right, and so only contacts the V guide on the far right and the flat guidway on the far left of the image. This is typical of lathes with these type of bedways.

Edited By Lathejack on 13/03/2021 19:25:05

Edited By Lathejack on 13/03/2021 19:28:41

Edited By Lathejack on 13/03/2021 19:30:43

Thread: emco mill
28/02/2021 09:37:43

I am fairly sure the Emco Mentor mills were not copied by the Taiwanese, it was the later slightly larger and far more common 6 speed Emco FB2 mill that was copied in Taiwan and sold under many brand names, and very good copies they were too.

In fact some of the very last Emco badged FB2 mills were also made in Taiwan or China, these had a red and black paint job and were listed as the FB2 E.

So I think the Emco Mentor mill you are looking at is almost certainly made in Austria.

Thread: Anyone have a Clarke CL250MH (Sieg M1)
17/01/2021 11:31:45

Doh! I've just noticed the original post by Hollowpoint was almost 2 years ago, I'm sure it was all sorted out long ago.

11/01/2021 18:06:37

I am back at work tomorrow, so I could have a look and see what we have got if you wish, unless you prefer to go for the genuine part. As well as solid bar we do have some thick walled tube, but I'm not sure what diameter it is.

Edited By Lathejack on 11/01/2021 18:08:05

Thread: Lathe Milling Machine Help Needed
11/01/2021 17:48:21

Yes I would say Chester may be the best chance of spares for those two machines in the UK, although the lathe was discontinued a long time ago. They offered that Champion milling machine for many years, although it was once offered by Warco for a time, Warco called it the ZX15. I am not sure when Chester discontinued that milling machine.

In the UK I can only recall Chester offering the old Champion lathe, at the time it was priced at around £600 if I remember correctly.

Edited By Lathejack on 11/01/2021 17:52:24

Edited By Lathejack on 11/01/2021 17:55:46

11/01/2021 15:01:23

I do remember Chester Machine Tools selling that lathe and mill combination, probably at least 25 years ago. They also offered the lathe and mill separately.

The milling head and column is from the old 4 speed belt drive Chester Champion mill, as Nigel B suggests.

The lathe is the same as the old Chester Champion lathe, with its belt drive and deep bed casting formed with a single V and single flat guidway both shared by the saddle and tailstock. I think the centre height was around 4 or maybe 4 1/2 inches, not certain coz it was a long time ago.

I think the lathe was discontinued by Chester long before the Champion milling machine complete with milling table was. These much earlier Champion machines are not related to any of the current Champion named machines offered by Chester.

Edited By Lathejack on 11/01/2021 15:05:34

Thread: Chuck backplate error
10/01/2021 01:13:44
Posted by old mart on 09/01/2021 17:34:47:

Lathejack, you have had good results with close fitting radial registers, but you do not mention any experiance of using loose radial registers. So you are an expert on the subject?

Unfortunately there are times when I feel that you are coming across as rather unpleasant. Surely the rest of us should be able to comment on our experiences and opinions, just as you do, without receiving remarks such as in your last sentence?

Edited By Lathejack on 10/01/2021 01:16:50

Edited By Lathejack on 10/01/2021 01:33:52

09/01/2021 04:11:21

It is the two registers on a threaded spindle nose that are really intended for location, thats why they are there. The radial register for centralizing and the face or shoulder for squaring things up, the thread is just for securing the chuck, backplate or whatever on, but a close fitting thread will help centralize if the radial register has too much clearance.

There are plenty of lathes with spindles that have an integral mounting flange with just the face and radial register for location, but using separate bolts instead of a threaded spindle for securing.

Chris V said that the front face of his chuck runs true, which it will once the backplate is butted up to the spindle shoulder, but because of the sloppy fitting radial register and thread it is unlikely to centralise repeatedly.

I have had my Smart and Brown Modal A for over 20 years now, and all new backplates machined to fit it have a little clearance on the thread but a close fit on the register to repeatedly locate them accurately. All machining of the backplate shoulder face, internal register and thread are done at the same undisturbed setting.

Edited By Lathejack on 09/01/2021 04:18:30

Thread: Walco GH610 info
28/12/2020 13:28:00

The Warco GH600 is a different machine altogether, it is the Warco GH1230 which is their current version of this long running design, with the same 9 speed headstock, tailstock, gearbox and similar but longer bed casting as the GH610, but with just a slightly different apron and thread dial indicator.

Edited By Lathejack on 28/12/2020 13:31:55

Edited By Lathejack on 28/12/2020 13:36:19

28/12/2020 13:14:21

Yes, I would say it is worth £1250. From what can be seen in the photo it looks quite good, so if with a closer look it has no signs of wear, damage or abuse and doesn't make any nasty noises and everything is working correctly then it is certainly worth it.

Warco have been selling that design of Chinese lathe for donkeys years, I remember when they called it the Warco 1224 and originally cost £2000 new many years ago. Their current version is the GH1230 at around £4000 with a DRO and coolant pump I think.

Although the centre height is the same as your Clarke lathe at 6 inches, the GH610 is in a different league with properly proportioned castings to suit its capacity, full screwcutting gearbox, power feeds and a geared headstock with a camlock spindle fitting.

With a lathe like the GH610 for home use you may never feel the need to upgrade again.

You say you have been offered this lathe, does that mean it is close enough for you to go and take a look and have a good fiddle with it? Which I think would be essential before buying.

Edited By Lathejack on 28/12/2020 13:19:44

Edited By Lathejack on 28/12/2020 13:21:35

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
29/11/2020 17:39:35
Posted by mgnbuk on 29/11/2020 13:15:34:

The first new bike I bought was a 1979 CZ 250 twin which cost me £412 OTR. I wanted an MZ TS250/1, but at £525 OTR it was too much at the time - a Yamaha RD250 was over £700 IIRC. Given the gross unreliabilty of the CZ, I would have been better off waiting & saving up the difference ! Apprentice wages at the time were not great - when I started in 1977 I was on £28 per week gross at 17 (wages started at £22 a week for 16 year olds). Half of my take home pay went to my mum, so not a lot left over to save up for bikes.

Nigel B.

I can remember a motorcycle magazine article on 250cc bikes from that period, i think it was in either 'Bike' or 'Which Bike?' The headline was "Is an RD250 worth £300 more than a CZ250?".

Like most of us at the time, I think they concluded that it was.

Thread: Taper Turning attachment - what a revelation
29/11/2020 16:03:50

My Chinese made Warco 13x30 geared head lathe has a telescopic crosslide feed screw. The end of the feed screw is secured to a cast iron bracket, with thrust bearings, bolted to the back of the saddle. There is a Chinese made taper turning attachment available for it, but it is still expensive so I have gone without for the last 16 years.

Thread: Traction Engine kits
27/11/2020 16:20:51

Have you tried Forest Classics? They offer D.R. Mercer and I think Markie traction engines in 3/4" to 11/8" sizes. I am sure some of them are available in fully machined kit form.

Thread: Warco HV mill
17/11/2020 18:53:53

Very nice, it looks like a universal mill with a swiveling table. I remember Chester machine tools also offered it, they called it the Model T.

Some examples had a gearbox built into the top of the milling head, and a hardened table.

Thread: Mitutoyo Caliper
21/10/2020 00:09:30

I also have a Mitutoyo 150mm digital caliper that I bought over 30 years ago and they don't turn off automatically, still going strong after all these years.

A cheap new digital caliper I have does turn itself off, it also turns on automatically as soon as the jaws are moved.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
JD Metals
ChesterUK
cowells
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest