By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for AdrianR

Here is a list of all the postings AdrianR has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Will cash become obsolete ?
07/04/2020 08:55:43

As Ady1 eluded, yes cash will disappear as there is big money to be made. We will get it weather we want it or not due to the power of advertising convincing the masses.

We will all end up paying for it, the 1% to 5% transaction fee comes ut of our pockets not the retailers.

Thread: Overwhelmed!
06/04/2020 16:25:35

Being a relative newby I would recommend the following;

• A set of indexed tool holders. Grinding your own tools is great, but carbide is a lot easier to get started with.
  • Tail stock chuck
  • 3 and 4 jaw chuck
  • Tail stock centers, 1/2 and whole dead. live is a luxury but useful. You can make them, but they are very cheep.
  • DTI and mag base.
  • Micrometer
  • Vernier
  • Parting tool, I would recommend these
  • Drills, a set of HSS 1mm - 10mm ideally in 0.1mm steps but at least the tapping and clearance sizes. A few larger drills big enough for your boring bar.
  • Taps and Dies
  • Metal, lots of it, free turning steel, brass and aluminium. Nothing stops you making things faster than not having the materials. Some silver steel is also good to have.

After that just buy things as you need them.

You also need to find what rocks your boat. Models, engines, tools? So find a few small projects to make. A tailstock die holder and a wobbler steam engine is a good start.

Adrian

Thread: How to make a silver steel axle
04/04/2020 18:46:34

The oil should be OK, it is Morris ISO 68 that I use on my lathe, no nasty yellow metal eating additives.

The silver steel is from M-machine, it was what I was expecting, nice and shiny with a smooth ground finish. Not polished, more of a brushed look.

This is what I am making **LINK**

I drilled the bush at 5.8mm and reamed to 6mm, and it looked pretty good to me. So I dont think it was a bad finish in the bush.

When I run the engine the oil goes black, just like using metal polish. That is why I was wondering if people polish the shaft before fitting, just to remove some of the sharp edges on the ground surface.

Maybe I should stop being tight and by some bronze.

Adrian

04/04/2020 17:35:51

Hi,

In my wobbler engine is says to use a silver steel axle in either a brass or bronze bush.

I did not have any bronze so used CZ121 brass but the bush seems to be wearing faster than I would expect. In about 1hr it has gone from a good fit to having noticeable (an audible) side play. The surface of the silver steel has a ground finish and I am wondering if it should be polished before use. Or is using brass really a bad idea.

I am using SAE68 oil.

Thanks,

Adrian

Thread: Meccano spring drive belt
04/04/2020 09:00:28

Thanks Bill

04/04/2020 08:12:28

Hi I am making a small wobbler and want to use a Meccano spring drive belt on it.

I have just ordered the belt and it is 1.5mm dia, but I do not know what V to cut for it.

The plastic round belts seem recommend 35 - 40 deg V. Does any one know what it should be for a metal belt or have one they could measure?

Thanks

Adrian

Edited By AdrianR on 04/04/2020 08:12:42

Thread: Mystery Tool.
03/04/2020 18:16:58

Ha! Snap!

steam-hammer.jpg

Thread: Help with finishing Wobbler engine
03/04/2020 13:50:59

I am in the final stages building the same engine.

Don't think mine will look so fancy, well done on the build.

Thread: Mystery Tool.
02/04/2020 12:49:54

Pure guess, it is to remove clock hands

Thread: Source of Small Extension Springs
02/04/2020 08:31:32

Those are fearfully small springs. Ever thought of making your own?

Thread: Gear Cutting - Pressure angle.
01/04/2020 18:00:03

From what I can see on helicron this method creates an approximation to the involute curve by cutting a number of facets on each tooth. The more teeth of the gear blank that engage with the cutter, the more facets and hence better approximation. A small gear would only have two or three facets, hence the running noise he mentions.

You could probably improve small gears. If at the end of the full gear rotation, with the cutter engaged with the gear, unlock the indexer and move the cutter height. 1/2 tooth up, re -ut all teeth, 1/2 tooth down, re-cut teeth. That way you would cut more facets.

Probably easier to make a set of involute cutters.

I guess the edges of the facets would wear quickly so it may run OK after a while. I guess they would be ok for light duty and low speed gears.

Thread: Virtualbox advice
01/04/2020 16:52:28

I would say to get it running try and use NAT first.

Check that Virtualbox is NATing/Bridging you wireless card and not the wired adaptor.

Does your VM have any network devices?

Does the network device have an IP address?

If you do try using the ping cmd from a terminal shell to check you can reach your router. e.g. ping router_ip_address

I have not used VirtualBox, I use VMware Player, so cant help too much with the specifics.

Adrian

Thread: Good reading from DYSON.
30/03/2020 16:53:21

I had a DC01 with a lifetime guarantee, I'm still alive, it is not. It ended up needing regular major surgery. In the end I decided it was cheaper to buy a VAX instead of keep replacing the bits.

The motor still runs, in fact it ended up being a blower for my sons furnace.

Would be unfortunate if they offer a life time guarantee for the ventilators.

Thread: Magneto spanner?
30/03/2020 16:27:04

Well if you want an answer ask your wife, I just did. Terry's numbers are not BA although other spanner makes did mark them BA. She can't remember why they are just numbered but No 8 is a 4 BA. Also Magnetos either used BA or BSF threads.

Good when you marry an ex-biker who repaired magnetos with her step dad. Embarrassing when she pounces on some poor unsuspecting biker and informs them what is wrong with their classic bike.

Adrian

Edited By AdrianR on 30/03/2020 16:27:40

Thread: There is always one
30/03/2020 09:40:18

Well there is a plus side to all this, the CNC mill in the classifieds, I am sorely tempted to buy it, but of course I can't go get it. £1800 pounds saved and I dont have to justify it to the wife.

Thread: Boiler making advise
30/03/2020 08:03:25

Thanks for the advice.

Adrian

29/03/2020 17:57:19

Hi,

I am going to make a myfordboy vertical boiler. It is 2.5" dia 5.5" long with a 22mm central flue. It has two bushes at the top and two in the side.

I have a Sievert Cyclone 3524 burner (3KW) and have CupAlloy 455 silver solder (low temp)

From what I have read I should do a two step braze. First the end caps and flue using a higher temp solder, then the bushes using a low temp solder.

My questions are;

Would a 3KW burner be hot enough to use a high temp solder?

Would it be possible to solder the whole boiler using low temp solder? i,e, do the bottom, then the top and its two bushings, and finally the side bushes.

Thanks

Adrian

Thread: Toilet roll hanging
29/03/2020 14:08:30

Ah now I know my next project will be.

Thread: Soba parting tool
29/03/2020 14:03:20

I just tried out my new parting tool from Soba being sold by Chronos.

New Clamp Type Parting Tools with Chipbreaker Blade

I am really impressed how well it works. The blade is a T shaped and has a U shaped chip breaker ground into the top. This means you only have to grind the front face to sharpen it, and the tool is held horizontally against the work.

Setting the height is a puzzle, top or bottom of the U? I decided to go for the bottom. My first test was to square up the end of a 22mm brass bar. I managed to cut about 0.5 - 1mm thick slice off. OK it deformed into a saucer shape, but the end of the bar was nice and square.

The swarf came off as a long ribbon and I had no squeal, I think I could have even used the power feed.

I bought the 10mm blade version, it is a little small on my lathe. Soba also make a 1/2" and 3/4" version which Chronos don't stock but I hope to get sometime.

Adrian.

Thread: Coronavirus
24/03/2020 09:53:21

My wife had me up at 6am this morning. All because I said last night that it was probably better to go veg and milk shopping sooner rather than later, as the chance of catching it increases every day.

Don't quite understand why we needed 2 1/2 hrs to get ready.

At least I now have the whole day for the workshop. I am going to start making my very first steam engine today. Just a wobbler, but t is a start.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Warco
emcomachinetools
cowells
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest