By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for AdrianR

Here is a list of all the postings AdrianR has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: internet cable
04/09/2021 09:51:24

Cat5e and Cat6 are both rated for 1000Mbp. You will not gain any extra speed from Cat6 unless you have 10Gbps interfaces, which is very unlikely. Most domestic routers I have seen are only 100Mbs and I expect your internet connection is even lower than that.

Indoor/outdoor rating is not that important if the cable is sheltered, more important is that the cable is shielded, but then you need to have the right sockets that can ground the shielding.

I doubt you are getting close to the 100m limit or that your environment is particularly electrically noisy, so you probably only need the single foil wrapped type (FUTP), not the type where each pair is wrapped.

Have you thought of using HomePlug/PowerLine/TP-Link? A lot easier than drilling holes in walls.

Thread: Threading myth .... busted!
02/09/2021 08:22:12
Posted by Ian Johnson 1 on 01/09/2021 19:31:12:

Joe Piecynski in his latest YouTube video has busted the myth of needing to cant over the compound slide half the thread angle, to carry out single point threading.

Funny, I didn't get that from the video. The point I thought he was making was that both sides of the tool cut when using a 29-degree compound.

Thread: Parting off help!
28/06/2021 13:41:13

I am completely sold on T shaped blades with a hollow top. Similar to the ones Eccentric Engineering sell, although I have a SOBA 1/2" from Chronos. The swarf is folded slightly which makes it narrower than the slot so less chance of jams. No worries about grinding the top rake, and the tool is held at 0 degrees so no height issues.

Thread: Moving machines
21/06/2021 09:29:51

+1 for an engine hoist to lift them, but you do need to invest in good slings and also you will need rachet straps.

Remember engine hoists can only lift the rated weight when the arm is at its shortest. This limits the height you can lift too. Also, remember you will need to consider the length of the chain hook and slings and ceiling height.

For moving them I suggest you use skates. I have two, each rated at 250KG that are about 50x30cm. They are only plywood with casters that I bought from Aldi. I could not move the engine hoist when my lathe was on it, but with the skates it was super easy.

Thread: Barbeque Time
17/06/2021 08:48:13

Vic oh Vic you had to just go and mention the B acronym.
Yesterday I had 25C, blistering sun and a zephyr from the south. Today 16C and cloud and rain and wind from the north.

Thread: Pulley size help required.
16/06/2021 18:11:34

Assuming someone had it working at some point in time, could it be that either the belt has stretched/worn or is the wrong belt fitted?

Do you have any speed plate or table of speeds? you should be able to calculate the correct diameter.

Thread: Wolf Jahn 6mm Lathe Headstock problem
09/06/2021 06:47:28

Re the oil hole, have you tried putting oil in the hole to see if it comes out in the bearing? Might be a recess around the bearing to act as an oil reservoir.

Adrian

Thread: An interesting device, on ebay
06/06/2021 08:12:51

The scars on the nose seem to be at regular angles, I wonder if the threaded bit is a gland for hydraulics to increment a rotation. The angles look to be preset at 30, 45 and 60 degrees, could it be for sharpening/making countersinks?

Thread: Steam Canoe Machinery
30/05/2021 14:37:10

Pete,

If you are making and not buying the hull, could you not scale it up a little to increase the displacement?

I assume displacement would go up with the cube.

Adrian

30/05/2021 08:05:37

Peter,

Not sure where you are in the world but 60Kg is too low for Europe. See https://www.worlddata.info/average-bodyheight.php

For the UK male=86.7 female=72.7

Adrian

Thread: New member Lincs area
22/05/2021 18:34:14

Hi Karl,

Welcome, I'm not so far from you in Spilsby.

That is one serious nibbler!

Adrian

Thread: Kennedy Hexacut Model 90
21/05/2021 08:03:53

Hi Derek,

I have a Model 60 with similar wear, and I have been trying to figure out how to fix it too. Recently there was another thread about a Hexacut 90 where someone showed pictures of milling the guides. I have not worked out how to mount the guides and frame on the mill so have not tried it yet.

I have been considering fabricating a new blade frame that at the top has a plate wider than the guides. Then on the plate create guides that work on the outside of the rails. For the guides, I am thinking of using small ball races.

My concern with this approach is the increase in the weight of the reciprocating parts.

I would be interested in how you fix yours.

Adrian

Thread: Kennedy Power hacksaw
17/05/2021 08:14:30

Hi Jez,

My Kenedy is in bits at the moment, but there are good pics of the dash pot connection on http://www.lathes.co.uk/taylor/page2.html

Thread: DIY Rotary Quadrature Encoder
17/05/2021 08:05:33

Joseph,

Great work, I looked at those data sheets a while back to learn how sensors worked, good to see an implementation.

Adrian

Thread: Turning Cartwheels
16/05/2021 13:27:27

I have seen those sorts of wheels before but never thought about them till now. I have been watching EngelsCoachShop it's amazing how cartwheels are made. It just dawned on me that construction is so similar to a wooden cartwheel. The triangular sections are just a combined felloe and spoke. It could be that the hub is not cast around the spokes but the spokes are slotted into a hub, then a tire shrunk on to hold it all together.

Thread: Shortening HSS drills
16/05/2021 10:07:52

Well I never, learn something new every day, just watched this,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6ADHf3nvIs shows them treated in salt baths.

Looks a lot simpler than what I read for the HSS hardening and tempering process.

16/05/2021 08:38:40

The reason I was looking at modifying them is that I have inherited both my fathers and stepfathers drills. I have defiantly also inherited the packrat gene and can't bear to throw them away. A lot have worn sides near the tips, but nearer the shank they are fine. I don't have stub or spotting drills so thought it could be a good way to be trendy and upcycle them.

I always thought drills were made in two parts and welded together. It seems that would be easier than trying to do HSS heat treatment at one end of a drill.

Thread: How to countersink on a Mill?
15/05/2021 15:33:48

Well, I checked out the Z-axis and found I had more play than I thought on the dovetail. The mill now feels 'better'.

Using the quill was a success too, 12.4mm cutter 200 RPM and 3.5mm depth, perfect flush screw heads.

Thanks for the advice.

Adrian

Thread: Model Turbines
15/05/2021 10:46:16
Posted by Turbine Guy on 14/05/2021 16:25:29:

Since I used the valve on the boiler to keep the pressure at 20 psig, the pressure at the turbine was less and so also the available energy. With this mass flow and enthalpy drop, the available energy to the turbine was less than 49 watts.

I don't understand why you kept the boiler pressure at 20PSI instead of opening the valve fully. If you had the valve fully open, would you not have been able to measure the pressure at the turbine and calculate the efficiency?

Thread: Shortening HSS drills
15/05/2021 10:23:11

Hijacking my own thread, the last time I dealt with Young's modulus etc was 1982 at uni.

I am thinking of making a QCTP and holders. I understand hardening would reduce the wear and I could live with a little wear, but would unhardened be strong/rigid enough?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Warco
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
BOLDON
emcomachinetools
walker midge
cowells
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest