By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Takeaway

Here is a list of all the postings Takeaway has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New machines
15/03/2013 19:46:11

There's always a time and a place to enjoy a good Chinese!

26/02/2013 20:29:58

I have read reports in newspapers recently that Chinese authorities are the source of cyber attacks on us in the West. I read again today that Chinese authorities are almost certainly behind the jamming of BBC World Services in their country.>>

I was contemplating buying a new WARCO or similar, lathe and milling machine in the not to distant future but knowing this kit is manufactured in lace w:st="on">Chinalace> has made me uncomfortable about any such purchase from a country which seems to be displaying a degree of hostility to the Western world.>>

Given that most of the affordable new gear available these days to hobbyists IS Chinese then it seems the only alternative is to buy second hand and non chinese!>>

I have not completely made my mind up yet but non chinese / second hand Myford etc. may be the way I go.>>

Even there I'd feel a bit guilty, like an Ebay vulture circling over the dead meat of a Super 7.>>

Stuart>>

Edited By Diane Carney on 27/02/2013 12:39:08

Thread: Something for nothing
25/02/2013 09:11:16

Joe - I've not heard anyone use "fossicking" for many years - a lovely descriptive term - a bit like "ompalodging" used by my Cornish mate to describe someone (usually an older bloke) carrying out a boring and repetitive task often accompanied by muttering and unnecessary clatter. or simply, just being a stubborn old nuisance. (Like being normal then?)

Stuart

24/02/2013 17:51:03

OK Nick - you've "git" yourself a well deserved "ten". I wonder if anyone on here can do better - though they might have to consider shouldering the weighty responsibility of being awarded a BAFTA (Best award for tight ar**edness)>>

Whilst on the subject of re-cycling and seeing that it has it has an enthusiastic following on here I love the Great British car boot which provides me with such a lot of my raw materials. Stainless steel cupboard handles get me 10mm dia material (10K for a fiver) and brass toasting forks and brass fire companion sets at the optimum price of 50p - £1 all get my juices flowing.>>

I did make a bit of a booboo last year though when I bought a bundle of brass Victorian stair rods for a fiver. Hacksawing a bit of the end of one revealed a core of (highly machinable) steel with just a thin wrap of brass shim round them. They are made so well you cannot detect the joint where the wrap meets. Those old Victorians were not only clever - they were a bunch of old cheapskates to! (Bit like me I 'spose) thinking>>

Stuart>>

24/02/2013 07:23:15

A splendid effort Nick, I am green with envy. May I award you nine out of ten on the TOG scale. If the paint had been free you would have got a ten teeth 2

23/02/2013 13:02:06

And ten grand then? - Double it more like.

23/02/2013 13:00:26

To right it's a different cost centre - my good lady paid for it out of her own pocket - when I said free I meant FREE!!

22/02/2013 17:29:47

I have just finished ripping out the old weak lathe bench and replaced it with a new and stronger version with all the associated shelving etc. It was necessary because the old lathe was only a third of the weight of the new one.

It was hard work but worth it and was all done on the cheap (for "cheap" read nothing). As I speak we are having a new kitchen fitted. The huge pile on the drive is the old ripped out kitchen and I have been back and forth all week scavenging this and re-cycling that - it's like having a free B&Q parked at the front of the house.

I got the same kind of satisfaction from doing this job as I do from my model making which is mainly "fettling" models from what most people would call scrap but which I see as "treasure".

This hobby as hobbies go has the potential for being very, very expensive indeed, but I view that threat to my wallet as a challenge and try to do as nice a job as I can for not a lot of cash.

ATB

Stuart

AKA "Tight old Git"

Thread: Importance of the forum in your life.
21/02/2013 21:32:36

Although I have not been here for very long I value the clubby nature of the blokes hereabout. If I have a question, an answer is usually forthcoming within 48 hours and if I make a comment the responses are equally prompt. I would really miss it if this forum went belly up.

The sad thing is that the accumulated wisdom which generates the answers to inquirers such as myself are centered around just a small handful of generous individuals. You chaps carry the torch for what was once our great engineering heritage.

The engineering skills of a lifetime of workers in this country are now regarded as irrelevant and are perceived merely as history. But, up and down the country, in sheds and garages, outhouses and barns, blokes like us in our own small way fan the embers to flames and "do the business"!

Stuff the politicians - NIL CARBORUNDUM - and God save the Queen!

Happy days

Stuart

Thread: Running small stationary steam engines
19/02/2013 21:33:58

I use a an ALDI 25 litre compressor to run up my engines with no probs. but I have read on here and other forums that properly lubricated models running on live steam perform better. I don't have a boiler so I am unable to stick my oar in.Stuart

Thread: To Grind or Not to Grind - that is the question
19/02/2013 19:24:27

Hello - Thirty years ago I aquired an old 3.5" Grayson lathe which was quite worn all round. The lathe was not a great pleasure to use. I was at the time able to take advantage of a a pro toolroom setup. Because the bed was not hardened, I had it skimmed all over on a jig borer. The headstock bearings renewed, a new spindle turned, hardened and ground etc. etc. Result was a smashing piece of kit which I could rely on to do anything I threw at it. So my advice for what it's worth is do it - and if you can manage it for the price of a bottle of scotch - like what I did - then so much the better! ATB - Stuart

Thread: Lathe search
17/02/2013 21:07:21

Thanks CoalBurner - but I'd be quite happy with specific search results based on just "lathe" or "milling machine". I get the distinct feeling that I am stretching ebay search engine to breaking point - gives me a nice warm feeling insideface 20

17/02/2013 20:43:54

As I am in the market for a new lathe and milling machine I will often search on ebay with "lathe -wood" (lathe minus wood) but get all sorts of rubbish that is lathe related but NOT lathes. Do you know of any search technique that will deliver "lathe" - "lathe" and nothing but a lathe?

Stuart

Thread: Building an engine bigger than designed
17/02/2013 17:18:47

If that engine is a wobbler/oscillator should be no probs. Only time I ever went wrong when upping the size was on the crankshaft of a now finished engine. It did not occur to me at the time but the counter weights or webs (hope I have the terminology right) on my crankshaft should NOT have been doubled in size - instead they should have been doubled in WEIGHT!

The finished crankshaft was hopelessly out of balance and so was I after I'd bashed my head against a brick wall.

Thread: Warco lathe
12/02/2013 18:44:16

Thanks again Jason, that looks like it will fit the bill. Hope the accuracy is as good as my old setup i.e .0003" runout max - Stuart

12/02/2013 18:05:43

Can I ask another question please on this lathe. I have a set of ER25 collets which I have been using on my old lathe. The nose on the spindle was ground to take the collet directly and a threaded collar tightened it up on the work piece. This allowed long lengths of stock to go up the spindle/quill bore while the required end bit was machined.

Would I be able to use these collets in the same manner on this lathe and how would it work? If I am unable to use them as described then what is recommended as an alternative?

Thanks

Stuart

12/02/2013 10:51:32

Thanks for that Jason, exactly the detail I need to make final decision, very much appreciate your efforts and pics. - Best regards - Stuart

11/02/2013 21:57:50

Lots and lots of very constructive comments here - thanks chaps! Jason, I agree that the powered cross feed would be the business and if that lathe fits I think that given the constraints of my shed a WM 14 milling machine would be appropiate as a companion. Thats the way my thinking is going. - Stuart

Thread: Myford bits
11/02/2013 19:03:32

Thanks for your replies chaps - all very helpful.Stuart

Thread: Warco lathe
11/02/2013 18:57:21

Thanks for all "back gear" comments - I am now much more in the picture. On the question of length of lathe and being tucked up for space, Jason has made the very helpful observation that on the rare occasions he cuts threads it should not affect the choice of length of lathe if space is at a premium. I can see your argument Jason as I cannot see myself as a future prolific threader either.

But to put things into perspective, my new lathe has to fit in a 6x8 ft. shed and its got to be on the 6ft wall with shelving sticking out at the tailstock end - it doesn't get much more cramped than that! I am already envisaging putting a trapdoor in the shed wall so I can go outside and adjust change wheels from the headstock end. It's either that or back to the shorter WARCO WM240. I think a hair shirt and self flagellation could be less painful than the buying decisions I have to make in the coming weeks.

Thanks Bob Springbok, reason for upgrading to heavier duty kit is that I like to scratch build from anything that is laying around. It is much easier to do this with larger machinery - you get a certain flexibility which makes the work that much more enjoyable. Doing big jobs on little kit is a pain in the rear!

Thanks all - Stuart

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest