By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Wolfie

Here is a list of all the postings Wolfie has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Motor
29/09/2012 23:29:54

For various reasons I have had an electrcic motor come into my possesion. It is currently attached to a pump and is very similar to a Calpeda NMM product.

My motor has MP Planet on the makers plate but the phone number is the same as the current Calpeda one minus the 1 (in other words its 0987 rather that 01987) so that dates it somewhat.

What do I do with it, its a 1/2 HP motor so can I strip the pump stuff off and use it for summat?

Its still packaged by the way, its never been used

Thread: What is SWG?
23/09/2012 09:36:56

Great thanks

21/09/2012 19:00:27

What does SWG mean in relation to the thickness of tube walls??

Eg 2" x 16swg. I know the 2" is the outer diameter.

Thread: Drawing Projections
20/09/2012 17:34:25

Actually I've just noticed summat. If you rotate those two solids 180º they swap projections. I drew your left hand one but I thought it was 3rd angle cos the end view was on the right.

20/09/2012 17:28:23

"Actually that is one possibility, however if you gave that to an engineer he would either wonder what the line down the centre of the top represents or conclude that it is two seperate components."

The line is down the middle cos I couldn't work out how to rub just half of it out lol teeth 2

Edited By Wolfie on 20/09/2012 17:29:00

20/09/2012 13:30:58

OK lets try this then (Ignore the lack of drawing skills lol )

Edited By Wolfie on 20/09/2012 13:31:26

Thread: Finishing Steel
20/09/2012 12:49:11

I've struggled with this a bit too like Clive says in fact its not really polished up at all. I was having a spot of trouble with my milling machine at that time and the blunt cutteres made quite a mess.

I have a coarse and a fine file and two or three grades of emery. My problem is that when I attack things with a file to get the worst marks out I aend up with curved edges because with the best will in the world I seem unable to file dead straight (I also struggle to saw straight - some kind of technique failure?)

I've had some good results with pieces that can be turned in the lathe and attacked with emery.

20/09/2012 12:34:04

These problems are interesting but they are asking for the side view and not where to place it so are immaterial to the original question.

I have to say that I would have thought it was blindingly obvious to put the left hand side projection on the left, and the right hand side on the right, the top at the top and so on. Who would do it any other way???

"Hi Wolfie,

Here is a drawing of a simple component. Projection method (1st or 3rd) is not specified. Does it matter? Draw me a 3D sketch and post it here."

OK no doubt I have fallen for some trick here teeth 2 but here goes, being as you haven't included the top view I appreciate thet the rear may be different to the front  (not to scale)....

Edited By Wolfie on 20/09/2012 12:36:23

Thread: Suddenly I have a logging in problem
19/09/2012 19:47:47

It sounds like a cookie problem. Go into Internet Options and clear your cache and history and make sure cookies are enabled.

19/09/2012 08:45:45

So the only difference between 1st and 3rd angle is that the various views are in different positions relative to the 'front' view.

How silly is that?? Its the same diagram, just rearranged. No wonder its confusing cos as a novice you are looking for something much more complicated.

17/09/2012 19:51:02

OK so the position of the two concentric circles in relation to the trapezoid tells us where in the diagram the side view will be in relation to the front view??

I can tell which is which already.

Edited By Wolfie on 17/09/2012 19:51:24

17/09/2012 14:27:35

I just looked at Blowlamps link. I think my problem is that I don't understand the difference between 1st and 3rd, they look the same to me

17/09/2012 14:24:26

But in Coalburners drawing the two are the same, front face, end face, top face. Whats the difference?

Okayy so its where the cone is that makes it different. The drawings are the same?

17/09/2012 11:41:28

"First Angle ... Object inside the corner of a box with [let's say] cardboard walls

Third Angle ... Object inside the corner of a box with [let's say] tracing paper walls"

OK this 3rd angle I get, same as the glass box, simple. The face or side or top or whatever of the object is drawn as if you're looking down or at it.

So whats the first angle. Is it different and if so why? And I ain't got a clue what those two circles are. If its a truncated cone, which way up is it?

"To remind myself of the difference, for 1st angle projection, I think of a simple object lighlty covered in ink and laying on paper. When the paper is lifted so as to wrap the object, its shape is 'printed' to the paper."

Is this not the same then as what youd see if you were looking at it, ie 3rd angle?

Edited By Wolfie on 17/09/2012 11:42:50

17/09/2012 09:22:52

Hmm a very interesting and clear to follow pdf. However I'm still not happy.

OK I get the glass box idea where every side of the object is projected onto the surface of the box which is then unfolded. Thats clear.

OK so 3rd angle appears to be the same but whats this first angle stuff. That pdf has the left hand side of an object clled the right hand side (p37) ! Whats that all about

16/09/2012 11:04:51

I must admit that I also was wondering what those strange marks were on plans. And after seeing the explanation on the other thread I'm afraid I'm non the wiser embarrassed

"Hi,

The 'two circles' and 'trapezoid' are the standard symbols for indicating the drawing layout of the different views, i.e. first angle or third angle. Imagine the 'trapezoid' is a tapered cork and that you are looking at it. That is how the drawn views are oriented. It can make a great difference as to how the drawing is read.

First angle Ortho (as previopusly used in the UK) -

first angle1.jpg

Third Angle Ortho as is normally used now (aka 'American' layout) -

first angle.jpg"

They look the same to me??

Edited By Wolfie on 16/09/2012 11:05:55

Thread: What steel to use
08/09/2012 23:33:34

I generally get my metal from M Machine in Darlo cos they are local. When you look at their listings they will provide the BS numbers. I have to assume that other suppliers do similar..

Thread: My First Build- What to do?
08/09/2012 23:30:54

There is no shame whatsoever in building a plastic kit neither. I have been doing that since I was less than 10 years old and now do it semi professionally. Its a good way to start modelling. The engineering bit comes with time.

Thread: HH Grinding Rest - Finished!
08/09/2012 23:28:08

Next up...I try to make beam engine 'Mary' from scratch! Watch this space.

03/09/2012 21:15:43

Its in the book Milling by Harold Hall. Also serialised in MEW starting around issue 89 going on memory.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Warco
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest