By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Wolfie

Here is a list of all the postings Wolfie has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Fibre optic clock
08/02/2013 22:05:30

Hi Derek, that looks great.

Can I suggest that once you have put all your pictures in the post that you copy and paste the entire line of image code into the order you would like your pics.

Thread: New Forum Moderator
08/02/2013 21:46:05

Actually, trucking background, went for a career change, chose IT but the grass was not greener and I'm back doing what I enjoy.

I can still fix computers though which makes for some handy beer vouchers.

Thread: Smart & Brown
07/02/2013 19:06:13

I have a large Smart and Brown model A. Lovely piece of kit older than me

07/02/2013 19:02:01

Oh and please bear in mind that I'm limited to what i can do on the road. I'm working with a small tablet tethered to a mobile phone. Anything major will be looked into at the weekend when I can get at my proper PC.

07/02/2013 18:44:46

You'll have to find me first.

Ketan I got a job in November back in my old profession of truck driver. It means I'm on the road Mon-Fri and dont get much time in my workshop. plus I'm working on a commission with my plastic modelling which is currently taking up my spare time. When thats finished its back in the workshop and more silly questions.

07/02/2013 09:37:58
Posted by Diane Carney on 06/02/2013 23:08:25:

I believe Wolfie takes no prisoners! Not a cushie walk over like me. Better behave now or else ...

wink

Diane

Ha ha yeah you don't want to annoy a wagon driver at the wrong end of a long day.

Seriously cheers chaps, I'm also learning more cos I'm looking at threads i might not have looked at once over.

Thread: Marking out a cylinder
06/02/2013 20:56:37

Brilliant, i have a height gauge, why didnt i think of that. Ta

06/02/2013 20:20:14

I need to do some marking out on a cylinder approx 18" long and 5" in diameter. I need to end up with some lines drawn down its length that are parallel to each other and at right angles to the cylinder end. How do i go about this?

06/02/2013 20:16:29

Hi gang, with my IT background I've been asked to take on some moderating duties which I can do from my truck cab. So I've agreed. I'm sure you will give as easy a ride as you have answered all my silly questions. I just wish I had a bit more time in the workshop.

Thread: Spotface
02/12/2012 22:48:25

Hi all, I'm still around, just working as a truck driver again so out of town an awful lot.

Next question, what does 'spotface' mean on a plan?

Thread: Design a covering mechanism
03/11/2012 16:21:06
Posted by AndyB on 03/11/2012 15:01:21:

Hi Wolfie,

I wondered how you filled your scrap bin...

Depending on what other loads you have to carry you might consider the trailers used by some of the big steel stockholders. It is a sliding scissor frame with a sheet fixed to it. You undo the catches and the whole frame scissors to the headboard giving both side and overhead access. There is a picture and description here:

**LINK**

Of course, you don't have to have the coil wells.

It is a lot easier than fully stripping a tilt trailer which I have done a lot of times! And then you have to put it all back together before you leave the steel works! Ask for a hand and all you got was slow hand clap. Grrr.

Andy

You're right there, I haven't stripped a tilt out for years but that was a pretty unpleasant and difficult job on your own.

We'd already thought of the tunnel type trailer and its good except for one thing. You end up with the cover concertina'd up at one end and it doesn't concertina enough to allow us to put a portakabin on the trailer which is the other thing we carry.

02/11/2012 22:08:44

We can't go the curtain sider route or similar because the trailers are used for other types of load. So crane or side load is immaterial.

02/11/2012 19:48:06

OK in my day job as wagon driver we regularly have to sheet steel loads. Such as the one in the photograph. Now we are getting trouble from the HSE because it involves drivers clambering around on top of the load trying to handle a heavy sheet often in windy weather and usually alone. So we need to design something that will do this automatically.

You may be familiar with bulk tippers or skip wagons that have a sheet that is attached to a bar which simply moves from one end to the other unrolling as it goes and then the reverse to unsheet. We need something like that but the sticking point is that the sides also have to be covered.

Now we can probably utilise gravity to get the sides covered but how do you roll it all up again automatically preferably by the press of a button.

The engineering expertise on offer on this forum must have some ideas!

My wagon in Hull docks showing a typical steel load before sheeting

Thread: Non de plumes
15/10/2012 12:08:34

With a name like Lambton I'd guess at County Durham!

Thread: Jason's Firefly .46 Build
13/10/2012 13:04:32

Excellent tutorial. Cheers

Thread: Non de plumes
13/10/2012 12:44:38

There are good reasons to remain reasonably nameless on internet forums, it might be very surprising to you how much information could be built up around you using your real name all over the internet.

And funnily enough my nickname DOES come from CB use sort of. I became a truck driver in the mid 80s and I did use a CB, not through any craze but simply because it was a useful tool at times to find out what was happening on a road.

When I chose my nickname I chose Lonewolf which is a biker term for one who does not ride with a particular group which applied to me at the time. And then when the time came and I needed a username for various forums etc I used it again which has over the years been shortened to Wolfie.

Its actually possible that more people know me by the name Wolfie than by my real name

Thread: Mary Baseplate
02/10/2012 18:13:29

Hi all, I've started to build the beam engine 'Mary' from scratch. Now the baseplate is around 9" long and three wide and half an inch thick but a lot of the underside is hollow.

Surely I don't buy a huge chuck of steel and then reduce a lot of it to swarf? Are there any other ways of doing this?

Thread: Lathe really crap finish - Myford ML4
01/10/2012 16:47:51

I had this problem and in my case my lathe tool was too sharp!

Thread: Motor
30/09/2012 11:13:26

That was my first thought actually John, that they were in the box like any other motor however theres no grommet to put a wire through, am I expected to make a hole??

30/09/2012 10:20:27

Its had a run on Ebay with no interest. I have a bench grinder but I could make something to go with my newly built grinding rest as I already have to alter my current grinder cos its too low for the rest.

Strikes me as a bit big for a grinder though, its actually quite a big heavy thing, photo below.

Incidentally it doesn't appear to have anywhere to wire it up? The one wire comes from the case and goes into what I'm assuming is a capacitor on the side. But no terminals or owt.

Edited By Wolfie on 30/09/2012 10:22:47

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Warco
emcomachinetools
cowells
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest