By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Wolfie

Here is a list of all the postings Wolfie has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Worlds Tiniest V12 Diesel Engine
28/03/2013 20:41:38

I've seen this before, but well worth a look, superb build

Thread: Is it just me?
09/03/2013 00:14:55

As a biker I always use the term 'bike' meaning motorcycle. A bicycle is a 'pushbike'.

Edited By Wolfie on 09/03/2013 00:15:19

Thread: Paint my LOCO Raffle
09/03/2013 00:08:55

OK link sorted.

it seems I'm struggling a bit with the forum from my tablet, I was unable to sort it until I got home to my desktop PC.

As far as the models go, many of those in the gallery were built for customers but the weathered ones are mine.

07/03/2013 11:30:26

With my professional plastic modelling head on, I often weather the trucks that I build. I'm known for it as a lorry driver you don't often see a sparkly clean wagon.

http://www.nrmodeltruck.co.uk/gall/gallery.html

Edited By Wolfie on 09/03/2013 00:06:15

Thread: Cleaning up
07/03/2013 11:17:33

I clean mine when it needs it.

Thread: Cutter and lathe tool grinder advice need
02/03/2013 17:01:44

I made Harold's rest and its good. I just need to adapt a grinder when I work out how to. At the moment I have one with a disc at each end, a coarse and a fine

Thread: Cutting wood screw threads on the lathe
02/03/2013 16:54:02

How do you turn woodscrews?

Thread: Outstanding Service
27/02/2013 22:14:16

As a beginner I have been more than pleasantly surprised by the service and also advice I have had from suppliers. Particularly in two cases where the offending machine wasn't even bought from them. Mentioned in despatches: Arc Euro, M-Machine, Tracy Tools and RDG.

We'd sit in the pub with mates moaning about poor service so I'm sitting in the pub singing the praises of good suppliers!

Thread: How much gear do you need to start Model Engineering ????
27/02/2013 22:03:00

II had a small micro lathe that I bought to make small parts with my plastic modelling head on. I then decided I could make a steam engine with it.

Its true I made the first few parts of my little engine with it, but there's no doubt the addition of a milling machine helped greatly.

Thread: Something for nothing
23/02/2013 08:40:14

I also have a bench partly made up of kitchen side.

Thread: Importance of the forum in your life.
23/02/2013 08:34:01

I've had an awful lot of useful help from the forum members and would miss you all. Its very handy to have a forum based around a common interest magazine.

Thread: To Grind or Not to Grind - that is the question
20/02/2013 19:52:38

I like snow! Good job really considering where I live.

Thread: Adverts obliterate text
17/02/2013 17:22:59

You'd have to ask the original web designers that, but remember that they have to try to cater for 'everybody'. To widen the centre part you would have to widen the entire page or else lose the sidebars (where the advertisers are). This may make the entire page too wide for some peoples screens. When I did web design courses we were taught to try and maximise the number of folk that could see your page or would stay on it once they arrived.

And of course now to try and alter one part would be a large undertaking as much of the rest of the website is built on the framework. Note I'm talking about the website, not just the forum. The forum is just one part of that and is expected to stay in its alloted place!

Thread: Cutting a non linear spiral thread
17/02/2013 13:40:43

Merged. I've had to do it post by post though so they have arranged themselves chronologically, hope they are in the right order! thumbs up

17/02/2013 13:07:13
Posted by Versaboss on 16/02/2013 17:07:24:

Well Wolfie, maybe you would see even better solutions when you look at the HTML of e.g. this page.

After some preliminary stuff it starts with writing "My goodness, that was quick..." and ensd with "...resize images automatically <p> Ian"

After this (and you agree that HTML is processed/rendered top to bottom?) it starts writing the side columns, which then in some cases write over the text.

So it would (imho) be a very easy solution to change the sequence oof these parts, and write the forum text last. That would perhaps miff the advertisers, but as you can see the same in every thread the damage would be minimal.

If I'm wrong, please explain. I don't know much about HTML, I admit.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Hi Hansrudolf,

I know what you mean but looking at this page with Firebug doesn't show me the same as you?

Thread: What chance have we got?
16/02/2013 10:41:58

Hiya, heres one, all good agricultural stores

Thread: Running small stationary steam engines
16/02/2013 08:34:02

I use an airbrush compressor to run my little S50 with no problems and a colleagure runs about half a dozen off 2 compressors

16/02/2013 08:23:16

The problem is that the ME website is made up of templates. The particular content of each page has a finite amount of space to fit in as dictated by the template. If you have a wander round the website you will notice that the left and right sidebars are in the same place on all pages (although the content may not be the same).

An additional problem is that the browsers (IE, Firefox, Chrome, Opera etc) all work in slightly different ways and can (although not necessarily will) render a page in a slightly different way.

The problem with our forum is NOT with the forum per se but how a browser will represent something which is too big for the space allotted as David says. It is usually a picture. Some forums have the capability to restrict picture size uploads but apparently not this one.

So we need to be alerted about the problem to edit the picture size. Anyone can message me on here.

Thread: What chance have we got?
16/02/2013 07:59:33

My cousin is a farmer and both of his lads drive tractors, teleporters and a combine. OK they are a little older than the Chinese lad but still at school.

As for H&S don't get me started. I run into all sorts of crazy restrictions that are not designed for my personal safety but for covering their tails.

Eg one particular place I go to to load steel. We have to wear boots, hi viz, safety specs(???) and hard hats. If they dropped a two ton bundle of steel on me I'd need more than a hard hat.

However then they expect me to sheet the load. This involves climbing on top of it in all sorts of weather and unrolling two heavy canvas sheets some 17 feet up on top of the load. I've even done it when the steel was covered in sheet ice and in a gale. I still had to wear a hard hat though and my vision is impaired by crap safety specs

I'll have to moderate myself if I go any further angry 2

Edited By Wolfie on 16/02/2013 08:00:37

Thread: Suggestions for future articles
11/02/2013 20:13:04

Hi all I generally only get web access during the evening so David feel free to muck in

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
cowells
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest