By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Wolfie

Here is a list of all the postings Wolfie has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Stuart S50
24/10/2010 22:19:14
OK as mentioned elsewhere I have taken up the challenge of building this machine from plans only, mainly for financial reasons. I already have about a million questions so I better have a thread for them.

First off I have a small lathe, a pillar drill, a bench grinder and a hacksaw. I'm not great on terminology yet so may need some things explaining that you chaps will all know about.

OK so far I have made the piston and piston rod, the piston gland (terminology??)  and one end of the cylinder. My next plan is to make the other end through which the piston rod will pass and the gland will screw into.  So far I have managed to use all the correct materials. The plans dictate that I put some kind of packing into this part but don't tell me what it is! And what do I use as a gasket?

Is this a good place to start? 

Having a number of engineering contacts I can scrounge odd bits of rod and bar fairly easily but living out here anything special like 'silver steel' (is this stainless steel???) I have to get mail order. But I do have a chunk of cast iron. I went to a local scrap man I know and begged it. They cut me off a piece of farming tackle they were recycling.

Thing is its huge. About 6" x 5" and 2" thick. How the hell am I going to make the cylinder out of it cos thats not just round, it has a rectangular piece on it too.

OK more questions later
Thread: Making lathe tools
24/10/2010 22:00:51
Hi all. I'm Chris from Ryedale and although I have been a plastic model maker for many many years I am just turning my hand to a steam engine.

Dictated by the fact that I'm skint and dependant on someone elses garage that I can't really fill up, I have a very small lathe (Axminster Micro) and I'm struggling to cut lathe tools that work. I have joined my local SME (PEEMS, Pickering) and a chap there told me for a nice finish to grind a tool with a fair radiused point on it.

This hasn't worked, it binds and chatters and generally cuts like a dog and the more I radius it the worse it gets. It was lovely too all honed and graceful

And as for parting off tool don't go there, I'm finding it easier to hacksaw the piece off and clean it up after I've looked at loads of web sites and books but its not working for me.

I have 2 sets of Stuart plans, the S50 and a beam engine. Its the beam engine I really want to make but I thought the S50 would be a good place to start and get all the mistakes out the way. I'm making them from scratch too as I can't afford the castings.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
cowells
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest