By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Wolfie

Here is a list of all the postings Wolfie has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Machining a Cylinder from the Solid
08/11/2010 12:23:19
Great tutorial I'm going to try that on my next build!
Thread: Stuart S50
07/11/2010 16:44:32
"a bit slower than 90rpm might be appropriate"

Hmmm this might explain quite a lot

I thought cast iron was one of the softer metals which is why someone thought of adding chrome to it?
07/11/2010 10:54:55
Heres a pic but its not the best. Part of the problem is that the cross slide won't go under the bottom rim of the wheel. So I'm restricted as to what angles of attack I have.

Edited By Wolfie on 07/11/2010 10:56:22

Edited By Katy Purvis on 01/06/2015 12:07:57

Thread: O rings
07/11/2010 10:22:15
OK got it, thanks.

The design I have actually has the bore in the cover projecting from the cover so this version is out this time round as the gland would have nothing to screw into!

OK as I understand it from these posts you don't actually squish the O ring down hard, just enough to make a seal. Which implies that the screw in version will be better as you can adjust it.

Edited By Wolfie on 07/11/2010 10:23:34

07/11/2010 01:00:05
Okayyy so if I don't thread it, how does it stay in the cylinder cover? It'll just fall out right?
06/11/2010 17:49:32
HELLPP Whats with this flywheel. Its destroying my lathe tools!!!!
Thread: O rings
06/11/2010 17:47:09
Thats interesting. I have so far made 3 glands cos the piston rod binds when I screw it in to the end cover. The plans dictate a threaded spigot (if thats the bit that screws into the counterbore).

So if I drill or ream that out to say 5/32 then it will still seal in with an O ring and the rod won't bind any more?
06/11/2010 11:07:55
OK I know what an O ring is, its one of those little rubber washer things thats circular in profile.

So if I want to use one to seal my cylinder around the piston rod gasket do I need to cut a V for it to sit in?  and do I use one that matches the outer diameter or the outer diameter plus a bit or what?
Thread: Hardening...
06/11/2010 11:04:07
Its 10 miles from the bank to Thirsk lol

Back on topic - ordered the book!

Edited By Wolfie on 06/11/2010 11:05:02

05/11/2010 09:13:20
LOL as a local lorry driver (ex anyway) I've been up and down Sutton Bank many many times with an artic.

On 2 occasions I've had to turn one round on Sutton Bank too You're right about missing a turning, I've driven for miles looking for a side road to reverse into.

You're right about the weather up here too lol. 
05/11/2010 09:06:21
I watched some of that Tubal Cain video last night where he breaks ot the cylinder cast and faces it and the cylinder covers. I am surprised at how little he seems to worry about accuracy, theres me trying to get it down to the last ten thou....

I got some of that glue too. I was advised to get '603', but the best i could find was '601' is there any difference??

Edited By Wolfie on 05/11/2010 09:07:42

04/11/2010 22:25:23
I held the flywheel by its boss. Its difficult when all the surfaces are rough, to start anywhere. Like I said, I drilled the hole first and will try it that way.

Whats a faceplate?
Thread: Hardening...
04/11/2010 22:21:22
WPS1 is that the title??
04/11/2010 12:17:57
OK do these two always go together. I know nothing about this. To harden something you heat it up right?? Doesn't that make it brittle? Whats tempering??
04/11/2010 12:16:01
Getting on a bit. I bought the cylinder casting (and also the flywheel while I was at it).

Its much smaller than I thought it would be, looks like it could be difficult to hold for machining?

If you can find the (free) Dockstadter valve gear program and load it on your machine, you can see live animations of how this all works

I downloaded this, looks handy. However I don't know what my particular valve gear is called??

Have made a start on the flywheel. Found it very difficult to get true in chuck. Eventually got more or less true enough to drill although its not perfect. I plan to mount it on a spindle and bolt it on to machine the outside rim.
Thread: Milling In The lathe
03/11/2010 12:37:03
I also have an Axminster Micro which I'm planning to mill in. Some small experimentation with an end mill has been successful so far but I don't yet have a vertical slide and that does make life difficult.
Thread: TPI Threads
31/10/2010 13:02:48
I see gliders quite a lot. I live not too far from a place called Sutton Bank where they fly from. If I go anywhere north or west I have to pass it.
Thread: Stock Suppliers
30/10/2010 23:44:46
Can anyone point me in the right direction of a suitable place to buy brass, mild steel, stainless and silver steel stock preferably in the North Yorkshire/Teesside area. Else online if necessary.

Must be willing to sell small amounts.
Thread: TPI Threads
30/10/2010 23:23:16
I have used them once, to tap a M10 x1mm hole in the brake system for my glider for a replacement part.

Gliders have brakes?? 
Thread: Metric vs Imperial - Practical or Traditional?
29/10/2010 11:41:15
Thats a good point, however I would add one more factor. Conveniency.

Its convenient to use what you are used to. Its also convenient to use a single value or multiples thereof. Thus for small measurements a thou will always be handier than the millimetre because you will always be talking of a fraction of a mill, however represented. I appreciate that the thou is a fraction of an inch, but it has its own title so until we have the 'hun' for 1/100 of a millimetre the thou it is!

For intermediate measurements then the mill is spot on and I use it regularly in my other modelling discipline where very small measurements are not required. And for anything bigger its the inch.

Its interesting to note that in my plastic modelling world, all the raw plasticard and rod and sections etc that I use in scratchbuilding and conversion are bought in imperial sizes although nearly every other aspect of this genre is metric. So its usual to hear someone saying "I cut a 20 x 40[mm] piece of 20 thou plasticard" And so on.

Lets keep both, it clearly works!

Edited By Wolfie on 29/10/2010 11:42:25

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
mid gard rail Jan 2020
Warco
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest