By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Wolfie

Here is a list of all the postings Wolfie has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Horses for Courses
12/12/2010 14:17:37
Interesting and useful discussion chaps. It all helps. How come Hungary hasn't fallen over then?
Thread: Model Engineer Exhibition
11/12/2010 23:36:50
Interesting day out and got just about everything I need for my engine and loads of pics!
11/12/2010 08:27:04
Hi all, good replies.

I bought the Model Engineers handbook earlier on advice from here. Good read. While it explains about materials, what it doesn't do is tell what each would generally be used for

As for the steam engine, I only have a plan, not a kit. I'm building it from scratch. So I don't have the 'finished' piece. 
Thread: You are going to the Model Engineer Exhibition aren't you?
10/12/2010 10:04:56
I'm a bit miffed. I just rang the number in the mag to buy a ticket in advance to be told they are no longer selling them by phone.

Doesn't say anywhere in the mag that theres a cut off point. Then the lady put the phone down on me while I was trying to ask another question. Most impolite.
10/12/2010 09:53:16
Thanks for that.

So what about the one designated 'finished' ??
09/12/2010 23:52:49
OK I have just been studying the plans for my Stuart engine as I intend to buy some metal at the ME show. (Attending on Sat, look out for a badge with the Wolf on)

But how set in stone are such things? Why are some things brass and others mild steel. And why are the odd few bits cast iron?  And what the hell is 'finished' ??

My plans designate one particular part as 'finished' in the materials column. And whats the difference between silver steel and stainless steel??

And how do I tell what already in my stash is mild steel and what is stainless steel and what is silver steel??
Thread: Who is in charge?
09/12/2010 23:44:33
Anybody?
Thread: Mills
09/12/2010 10:09:54
Things are a bit on hold at the moment mainly because its been uniformly -10 degrees in my garage and the little fan heater I have isn't coping lol. Also I am well on with the Xmas builds on the truck modelling front.

Apart from that I have had a go yes and the cutter didn't move at all. Its in the 3 jaw chuck, not the tailstock chuck.  Thing is, I bought a small vertical slide and the two holes in the bottom don't line up with the slots in my cross slide grr. So it was the vertical slide that moved. I need to bolt down a bit of bar both sides of it to hold it rigid, but I don't have enough T pieces. So thats where its stood at the moment.
07/12/2010 20:24:46
Jolly good stuff, not sure what all the fighting is about, all discussion is good. And I now know a lot more about mills than I did before ta very much all, and peoples reminisces about how it was once done are especially interesting to read.

As I've mentioned elsewhere  I have a huge box of ME mags going back all the way to the 1940s and I'm ploughing my way slowly through them cos you know what? The measurements might have changed, but the laws of physics haven't. The same stuff that held true then holds true now.
Thread: help wanted to complete 5" 9f - situations vacant
07/12/2010 20:15:16
Do you know there are model engineering societies in both York and Ryedale??

Wolfie (Ryedale)
Thread: Who is in charge?
07/12/2010 20:12:45
Who do I give club details to for inclusion on here??
Thread: Model Engineer Exhibition
07/12/2010 20:07:08
Hey guys I could do with a spot of local input I'm thinking of coming down for the ME show. Stopping at a relative's in West Kent and visiting the show on Sat.

Two questions.

Whats the weather really like. I've seen the Beebs report but we all know southerners consider 6 snowflakes to be an emergency. We have 18" of snow and counting and we're doing OK  so are you expecting it to be any worse than that or not.

Can I park at the venue?

Edited By Wolfie on 07/12/2010 20:08:09

Thread: Apps you would like to see
02/12/2010 16:58:30
Whats the model engineering related app for browser or PDA that hasn't been written yet?
Thread: Mills
26/11/2010 12:48:57
Thanks gents, I was under the impression that end mills cut on their ends. It worked when I tried it anyway lol. But I didn't go very deep

I'm acyually holding the mills in the lathe chuck, can't afford a milling machine
26/11/2010 08:06:12
So do I understand from this that an end mill will cut sideways??

So what does a slot mill do, does this not make it redundant?

If I start with a solid block then that needs a space cutting, I make a hole with a drill, then insert correct size mill and start cutting sideways?

Edited By Wolfie on 26/11/2010 08:07:45

24/11/2010 17:10:19
I have a couple of end mills.

Now if I want to face off something do I use an end mill? And what happens where it slopes? Where your cut gets deeper at one end of the job? Do I need to change to a slot mill or am I totally barking up the wrong tree.
Thread: O rings
23/11/2010 21:13:32
OK I still haven't got back to the workbench. However I have a huge box of Model Engineer mags, about 200 of them dating all the way back to the 1940s and 50s some of them and I'm slowly ploughing my way through them and I read a small article on O rings thats left me with the impression that they rotate in situ??

Is this correct?
Thread: Things they don't tell you in the books so I'm asking you lot
15/11/2010 12:51:13
OK whats 'backlash'???
Thread: O rings
15/11/2010 12:47:58
Well I've bought a box of O rings so I'll check it out when I get back to my workshop.

I'm pretty busy at the moment with the SMW show in Telford just finished (plastic modellings version of the annual Model Engineering show)  and of course Christmas coming up so I get busy around October/November with customer's Christmas builds.
Thread: Sharpening drills
10/11/2010 20:57:55
OK can anyone tell me how to rescue blunt drills?
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest