By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Wolfie

Here is a list of all the postings Wolfie has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Drilling in the mill
25/10/2011 19:56:27
"1. Imperial dial incriments where out but warco do have modified version which are accurate"

Do you mean that their latest ones are ok?

And whats a gib lock
25/10/2011 09:39:20
Thanks for all the feedback. Would appear to be something you can do but some folk don't do.

@David Dodwell. Funnily enough the Warco WM14 is probably going to be my choice of mill. Is it any good??
24/10/2011 16:51:11
I am going to invest in a milling machine in the near future. Now I am a bit strapped for room in my 'workshop' (a bench in my mam's garage ) and I am wondering whether I could dispense with the pillar drill and drill with the milling machine. I have never used a milling machine so forgive me if this is a stupid question.
Thread: Can get ME but not MEW?
24/10/2011 16:46:36
Just curious, I get my local newsagent to reserve me a copy of ME fortnightly but recently decided to change to MEW as its more in my sphere of interest.

However they can't get it! I understood it was from the same publishers??
Thread: Scriber
20/10/2011 09:21:59
Thats the best explanation I've seen yet, thanks.

I have that book but it woffles on a lot about metallurgy and other stuff and doesn't tell me in words of one syllable HOW to do it grrr.

Is silver steel then steel with a high carbon content??
19/10/2011 21:27:54
So can I make a scriber out of stainless or mild steel and simply heat it up and quench it?
Thread: Silver or Stainless?
18/10/2011 13:17:52
As a matter of interest, why is stainless non-magnetic surely it has plenty of iron in it??

And if these 2 materials are so similar, does it matter which I use to make a scriber?

Edited By Wolfie on 18/10/2011 13:19:36

15/10/2011 18:31:33
Arrgh I have a jam jar full of thin rod which is mixed silver and stainless. Only one of the dozen rods isn't magnetic at all and the others are to a varying degree.

So the non-magnetic piece is definitely stainless then right??

Edited By Wolfie on 15/10/2011 18:32:54

Thread: Post-build review reveals one major defect (incompetence)
14/10/2011 06:46:28
Could you run a file over the dot thereby removing the raised part and leaving a smal dimple in the exact spot??
Thread: Silver or Stainless?
14/10/2011 06:37:40
Next silly question! How do I tell the difference between silver steel and stainless steel.
14/10/2011 06:36:25
Thats handy to know. Living in rural North Yorkshire, chainsaws aren't uncommon, I own one myself for firewood logging. And even better I have a 4mm file I've just replaced!

What do you mean by reheat treat?
Thread: How to create a circular scribe
13/10/2011 23:51:37
Thanks all, that link was very useful
Thread: Milling Machine
13/10/2011 23:50:42
OK good point, what do you call a smaller mill then?
13/10/2011 23:49:21
That'll do, good tip cheers.
13/10/2011 20:09:10
What material do I use to make a scribing point and how do I grind it so that the point is central. And do I need to harden it.

Thanks
Thread: How to create a circular scribe
13/10/2011 19:17:19
OK not sure if that title is making sense but basically I have a disc of metal into which I need to drill a circle of 6 holes at a certain distance from the centre.

Now obviously this requires 3 lines drawn across the disc at the correct angles and also a line scribed around the disc at the required distance from the centre.

How do I mark this out? The disc has a hole in the centre so I can't use a compass and my protractor is way too big to scribe the correct angles. I'm probably missing summat obvious but help please!

Oh yeah and the plans don't give the correct distance for the ring of holes, but they do say 7/8"PCD whatever that means
Thread: Milling Machine
13/10/2011 19:05:21
OK can anyone recommend a milling machine less than £1000 (much less preferably) suitable for a relative novice.

Doesn't need to be all singing and dancing etc, just be reliable and accurate.
Thread: Tapping in a straight line
25/09/2011 21:41:39
Thank you to all oracles, I have lots to go on now
Thread: Centre punch size
25/09/2011 21:37:54
DRO??

And whats a dot punch?
Thread: Tapping in a straight line
25/09/2011 18:38:44
OK heres another one thats being a pain. On my journey to build my first steam engine, I have had to remake parts on more than one occasion because the threads aren't straight!

In other words the tap or die hasn't gone in or on at a right angle.

Now I know with a bit of bar you can put it in the lathe chuck and do it that way, but what about things that are irregular or don't fit in the chuck?
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest