By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Wolfie

Here is a list of all the postings Wolfie has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cutting a Morse Taper
30/11/2011 19:31:01
Thanks all, useful stuff there.

Now I have the ME Handbook and I've just looked at the page in question. OK I'm not sure on terminology but I'm assuming that the taper per inch is the change in radius over one inch from an axis running the length of the metal?

A bit like a hill is 1 in 3, is then an MT2 taper 0.04995 in 1 (or 1 in approx 20!)

If so then working out the angle via:

tan A = opp/adj

tan a = .04995/1 = .04995

so tan-1 .04995 = 3.177 degrees

Contradicts directly with the figures given here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morse_taper#Morse which gives a figure of 1° 25' 50"

Unless I am misunderstanding what each measurement is.....

Edited By Wolfie on 30/11/2011 19:31:56

Edited By Wolfie on 30/11/2011 19:37:59

Thread: Tipped Tools
30/11/2011 11:04:08
Its not so much the use of said tools thats the problem, I'm trying to save myself a long laborious job grinding the tools on my small bench grinder.

It only has two wheels like any other and one is a wire wheel and the other is a fairly fine stone which is taking ages and ages to remove metal from HSS.

Yes I know I could change the wheels over each time but thats a big hassle as well for two reasons. One is that I have to dismantle the whole guards set up to get at the nuts at each end of the spindle.

And secondly and far more of a pain is that for some insane reason I can't hold the wheel at the other end so I can do the nut up,  because if I do it undoes the nut at its end (opposite threads???) and I struggle to get either of them done up properly. There doesn't appear to be another way of holding the spindle so I can do the nuts up

Edited By Wolfie on 30/11/2011 11:08:45

Thread: Cutting a Morse Taper
29/11/2011 21:28:54
I'd like to make a tailstock die holder, but I can't work out how to cut the MT2 rear part.

My lathe does have a compound slide but looking at the data, I would need to set it to 1 degree and so many minutes which is beyond its capability I think.

Anyone point me in the right direction?
Thread: Tipped Tools
29/11/2011 21:12:57
OK I need to buy a boring tool and I'm looking at RDGs selection of tipped tools.

First off, are tipped tools any good, I have been told that they are inferior to ground HSS tools? (My ground HSS parting tool broke )

And secondly there are half a dozen similar bars all with different tips which all have different letters eg CNMG, TNMG16, CCMT09, DCMT07 etc etc

Whats that all about then?
Thread: Cutting Tool Steel
27/11/2011 21:19:52
I was given a handful of large lathe tools for my bigger machine by someone in my local SME. Thing is, they are pretty far gone and need regrinding.

One or two of them appear to have some kind of tip on but its blunt and difficult to grind. The rest are in a bit of a mess so I thought best thing to do is simply cut the old ends off and start again. But unsurprisingly they are resisting my hacksaw so how do I go about cutting myself some fresh ends or do I have to grind the old ones off?
Thread: Stationary Engine for Beginner
27/11/2011 21:16:13
I'm on my first engine, a Stuart S50 more or less from scratch. I wanted to build the beam engine first but decided to get my mistakes out the way on the S50. Good move.
Thread: Moving a lathe
27/11/2011 09:03:42
I've just done this barely a week ago with the S&B featured elsewhere.

We took a trailer up and put the lathe which weighed 3/4 ton in the trailer with a fork lift truck at his end.

I had the same problem as you, how to get it off at my end. In the event I got a mate that drives for a well known builders merchant to lift it off with his HIAB onto wooden blocks then we simply manouvered it with a pallet barrow like the one in the pic up there.

Engine hoists no good, not cos they can't lift it but cos they can't lift high enough. Mind you that was my lathe, I don't know how big yours is.

Tail lift would have been my next move, but make sure its rated for the right weight. Small transit type ones are only rated at half a ton.
Thread: Woohoo fell in the Tyne again
24/11/2011 22:05:38
Yep definitely a salmon, a great big one...

Edited By Wolfie on 24/11/2011 22:06:39

Edited By Katy Purvis on 01/06/2015 13:19:21

Thread: How do I read this gauge
24/11/2011 00:11:23
It has Whitworth 55* stamped on it
23/11/2011 20:23:09
OK I think I have deciphered the second fraction.

Looking at the table here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSW

Some of the TPI figures have more than one core measurement eg 11G is 5/8 or 11/16

The gauge for 11 reads

11G 5/8 11/16"

So presumably it simply gives you the tpi count and notes that the core diameter has two possibilities.

Interestingly there is no 13 in that table

Edited By Wolfie on 23/11/2011 20:24:04

23/11/2011 19:06:31
I was looking for a thread gauge so I could determine BA threads etc and I picked one up.

However I don't know what the sizes mean.

Each separate thread gauge has on it something like this

18 G 1/2 5/8"

I assume the 5/8" means inches but what about the rest. Some of them don't have the middle fraction at all and some of them go into whole numbers eg 2 1/2. One of them doesn't have the inches either, simply 13G.

What does it all mean?

Edited By Wolfie on 23/11/2011 19:08:05

Thread: Woohoo fell in the Tyne again
22/11/2011 22:07:23
Thats a saying round here to mean someones had a stroke of luck, the inference being that you come up with a salmon in your mouth.

I've been struggling with this tiny lathe for a bit now and someone told me of a fellow offloading an old lathe out of his workshop. So I went and looked at it. And came away with a Smart and Brown A series Mk II for £400.

Man oh man what a lovely machine, no more chatter, I can part off, it doesn't rattle etc etc.

Didn't have much in the way of extras with it, but the very generous souls at my local SME (PEEMS) have been helping me out with advice and bits and pieces.

I'm dead pleased
Thread: How do I
20/11/2011 20:12:52
Cheers all. Nice to see that ruler perch on the job.

Edited By Wolfie on 20/11/2011 20:15:55

18/11/2011 09:24:36
OK next question.

How do I drill accurately through a piece of round bar. I don't mean end-on, I know that one, but through it side to side.

I tried it, centrepunched a mark on it and drilled to find I hadn't gone through the centre of the bar so the hole was off centre so to speak. Am I making sense here?
Thread: Help
06/11/2011 23:35:17
A picture is worth a thousand words! Brilliant. Whats that metal, and where do I get some?
06/11/2011 20:13:17
Lots of interesting advice there however theres a couple of added spokes in works that mean I really don't want to chuck it.

1. I don't have a milling machine (although working on that)

and 2. I don't have another piece of metal big enough to make a new one without sending off mail order

I think I'll go down the route of making the cavity and hope the broken bit comes out with it.
04/11/2011 23:23:56
Coordinate location???

Whats that??
04/11/2011 19:25:52
Its mild steel.

And I don't want to chuck it away it took me all afternoon to make it grrrrrr

Trouble is, holes nearly 2" long, it'll be a miracle if I get two 1" long holes to line up
04/11/2011 17:19:21
Arrgh I have spent all afternoon nicely shaping a rectangle of metal which will become my steam chest and then I needed to drill a hole right through it top to bottom.

Drill (3/32") got half way through and broke, not sure why although it had started to make cracking noises and now I have over half an inch of drill bit stuck in the job. How do I remove it?
Thread: Piston rings or graphite packing ?
28/10/2011 23:03:10
I'm planning to use an O ring in mine, report later.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
cowells
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest