By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Kenneth Jones 1

Here is a list of all the postings Kenneth Jones 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Learning CAD with Alibre Atom3D
05/02/2019 09:33:59

Of course, now the penny has finally dropped. The tutorials were banging on about crossing lines and I was not taking it in. I may have learned the hard way but at least I have learnt.

Thanks Guy's

Kenj

04/02/2019 11:14:09

Hi Dave,

I'm there! I switched on the sketch analysis button as suggested and tried yet again.

The analysis did indeed suggest that I had an open sketch in spite of very careful location of my curser!

BUT, I tried deleting the vertical line, ie; the back of the triangle, and low and behold the thread then appeared.

I am at a loss to explain this but it has worked for me.

Thanks again, I am looking forward to next months tutorial.

Cheers, Kenj

03/02/2019 17:49:15

Thanks David, -- but still no thread!

I can not locate 'sketch analysis tool'

I did look at your suggested help tutorial and my problem does suggest a fault in the sketch as I have tried different shapes (rectangles and circles) and I can make a spiral cut using these shapes. I have also tried changing the pitch, that works on my simple shapes but not on the thread shape (triangle).

Am I right in thinking that the groove profile is 2 x 0.375 =0.75, there for less than the 1.0 pitch suggested so that should be OK

Am I the only one having this difficulty?

Thanks'

kenj

01/02/2019 16:52:07

Hi Neil & David,

I am up to Fig 47 but try as I might the thread does not appear. I get the ghost thread as in B but when I click 'apply' it all disappears.

I have checked on 'status' and it tells me;- 9002 open or overlapping figures are not supported.

I can not see what I am doing wrong but you say make the height 6 but the part is only 5 thick, is this correct? I have selected 'Height and Pitch'

I am quite proud of my progress so far!

Thanks. Kenj

23/01/2019 12:18:04

Thanks David & Neil, I was clicking on the horizontal surface, not the horizontal line. As I said, its the doddery old fool syndrome!, onward now to the next challenge.

22/01/2019 16:52:53

Hi,

I am tackling Alibre Atom 3D as a brain train excersize to hopefully prevent the onset of alzheimers. I am 83 so progress is very slow, but I am making progress!

However I have started on the introduction of a thread on the clamp bolt (issue 277) but I have hit a snag.

Referring to Fig 16, page 28 it says "right click on the horizontal line then on Convert to Reference Figure"

But the drop down table on my version does not include the line 'Convert to Reference Figure' . The last line is 'Direct Coordinate Entry'

What am I missing, sorry to such a doddery old fool.

Thread: DRO
02/10/2010 22:15:40
Thanks NJH, thats exactly what I needed to know, and only a quid each!
02/10/2010 12:12:44
I have just fitted a DRO to my GH universal Mill. I have fitted the X scale at the back of the bed, unfortunatly this covers up the oiler hole for the slideway.
My plan is to reposition the oiler to the top of the bed by redrilling the bed in the new position.
In MEW 168 there is an article which describes the fitting of oilers to a Taiwanese lathe cross slide but no indication of a supplier. Endless trawling of the web has not given me any help in location of these items, can anyone direct me to a supplier?
I need  an oiler to fit an 8mm hole.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
cowells
EngineDIY
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest