By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ken Weeks

Here is a list of all the postings Ken Weeks has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Any ideas on this?
08/09/2015 11:04:36

I have this Myford taper attachment but the link attaching to the cross slide is missing.

It appears to be made either from a kit or fabricated a lot of time and effort has been put into making it and I would like to use it.

Can anybody suggest where I could get the plans/drawings for it to be able to make a new link?

Kentaper.jpg

Thread: MM135 Collet chuck set plan
04/09/2015 21:30:32

Found the answer in L. H. Sparey The Amateur's Lathe.

03/09/2015 21:19:29

I have a Myford collet chuck that looks to be made using the MM136 collet set drawing available from My Hobby Store.

I would like to confirm my suspicions before I buy a copy of the drawing.

Was this an article in the magazine?

Can someone give me the dimensions of the collets?

Ken

Thread: Myford Super 7 Reservoir front bearing oiler information
18/08/2015 16:15:15

Hi Ian

This is a 50 year old brand new 2015 model!

It will take a bit of getting used too as my previous lathe was a Pultra 1770, fancied something bigger and the challenge of building one from bits.

With regard to your P.S. I am lucky enough to have the lathe indoors with the central heating so it will be well cosseted.

My wife thinks I am strange enough already spending time over the last 6 months out in the cold in the shed, scraping, cleaning and painting all these odd shaped and heavy bits of metal that kept turning up.

Ken

18/08/2015 09:42:05

Hi All

Thanks for your replies.

The Super 7 lathe has been a project over the last 6 months or so.

I assembled it from MK1 and Mk2 secondhand bits one or two problems along the way, but last night after adjusting the head stock bearings and applying oil it ran.

The next big test is cutting with it.

Ken

17/08/2015 12:31:36

Hi

I have an early MK1 Super 7 headstock with the cast in oil reservoir and drip feed oiler with the sight glass.

I am after information on using this type of oiler drip feed rate, quantity of oil in the sight glass etc

I would also like the information to identify the manual that covers this machine myford no etc.

Can anybody help

Ken

Thread: Fitting Super 7 headstock rear bearings
07/06/2015 11:42:26

Hi Brian

The nuts are the same size and interchangeable so one size c spanner fits all.

Ken

06/06/2015 23:00:25

Search for this post to read it all

Myford headstock bearing replacement

But it has this

You should definitely make sure the issue really isn't the rear bearings.

This is the Gospel according to Malcom (The original Myford works proceedure)

1. Power Down

2. Remove all belt tension.

3. Remove Chuck

4. Rotate RH collar one complete turn. (top towards you).

5. Rotate LH collar one complete turn. (top towards you).

Spindle should be completely free of front bush.

6.Loosen allen screw on collar at end of spindle.

7. Using the Allen key tighten collar as tight at it will go by hand.

Inner tapered roller races are now locked together with correct pre-load.

8. Back off LH collar one complete turn + a bit (top away from you)

9. Rocking the spindle by holding the spindle nose tighten the RH collar by hand (top away from you).

10. When you feel resistance to movement stop.

11. Collar should be just tight enough that spindle can just be moved by hand holding the nose.

12. Do up the LH collar by hand (top towards you).

You should still feel resistance when turning the spindle by the nose.

13. With the crescent wrench on the LH collar tap the end smartly with a 12oz hammer.

The spindle should move forwards by a couple of tenths and be completely free running.

14. With the lathe running slowly (lowest direct speed) put the oil gun in the front oil cup and pump until oil issues from the front bearing. (It comes out of the back and is sprayed around by the bull wheel at least it did on mine)

15. All should be sweetness and light with great rejoicing in heaven and on the earth.

You stand a better chance of scraping the front bearing to recondition than you do trying to replace, I believe it is a shrink fit.

regards Martin

Ken

06/06/2015 20:28:24

Thank you

01/06/2015 11:54:34

I have a Mk1 Super 7 headstock that I am getting back into use.

I have had to remove the rear ball bearings, as they were full of dried up grease and the nuts looked to have been adjusted with a hammer and chisel.

Got a couple of replacement nuts coming in the post, but want to make sure I assemble it correctly.

Should the cages marked "thrust" face each other with the spacer washer between with the cut out at the top?

I have the adjustment instructions

Ken

Thread: Looking for Engineering Co that does odd jobs
13/02/2015 11:05:52

Thanks for all the suggestions and replies.

I am sure the PM would make time for the PR picture then kick it into the long grass.

Thanks again for the replies

Ken

11/02/2015 11:41:39

I am based in Barnstaple North Devon and am looking for an Engineer or Company locally that will carry out some work on a ML4 lathe bed.

I need the L/H lead screw support enlarged to accept an ML7 leadscrew and the lead screw cut to length and a flat milled on the gear end.

By locally Barnstaple, Torrington, Bideford, etc I did find a chap in Torrington but he has just retired!

Ken

Edited By Ken Weeks on 11/02/2015 11:42:19

Thread: Another old ME article required please
13/10/2014 09:55:05

Hi Ady

Thanks for taking the time to research and post the article.

I will read it with interest

Ken

11/10/2014 22:42:52

I am after another old ME article as I cannot find a copy of the magazine on E-bay

62,1517,545 Workshop Topics Metalling Lead-screw Nut of Old Type Drummond Lathe Chas F.Clifton

If anybody can help thank you in advance.

Ken

Thread: Copies of old articles
02/10/2014 23:10:55

Hi Trev and Keith

Thank you for the replies and offers of help.

Keith I have sent you a PM with my e-mail address.

Trev thank you for your offer Keith seems to be able to supply them all bar the early one.

Thank you both again

Best regards

Ken

02/10/2014 21:32:54

I am trying to obtain reprints of the following articles

33,766,531 Lathe Some Useful & Inexpensive Fittings for 4" Drummond Lathe S.H.Robinson Leading screw, sliding rest, undercutting bed, system of leading screw engagement, quick traverse, motion plate, front slide & lead screw top bearing, leading screw arrangement & fitting, quadrant & end plates

36,824,83 Lathe Dodge for Re-setting Tailstock of 4" Drummond Lathe S.H.Robinson

39,911,199 Lathe More Additions to 4" Drummond Lathe S.H.Robinson

39,914,249 Correction More Additions to 4" Drummond Lathe S.H.Robinson 3

41,972,535 Workshop Notes & Notions Alignment of Centres of Drummond Round Bed Lathe S.H.Robinson

42,976,46 Practical Letters from Readers Re Alignment of Centres of Drummond Round Bed Lathe A.J.D.W.

42,977,69 Practical Letters from Readers Alignment of Centres on Drummond Lathe Drummond Brothers, Ltd.

42,979,118 Practical Letters from Readers Re Alignment of Centres of Drummond Round Bed Lathe S.H.Robinson

Cah anybody help?

Ken

Thread: Where can I pocket mags reader iOS 5.1.1
24/09/2014 11:40:15

Hi Michael

Thanks for the post.

The crazy thing about this is that (after a bit of experimentation) all the archives are available to read online.

The current versions can be read here but not through Pocketmags..

Wny use Pocketmags?

Ken

23/09/2014 20:51:36

Pocket mags cannot help only got the latest one!

23/09/2014 20:31:40

Hi Jason

I did email them but they did not reply.

I will try again.

Thanks

Ken

23/09/2014 19:45:13

I have a digital description for Model Engineers Workshop which I would like to read on my IPad 1 in the workshop.

My iPad is running iOS 5.1.1. Pocket mags app will only run on iOS 6 where can I get the older app ?

Ken

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest