By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ken Weeks

Here is a list of all the postings Ken Weeks has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Digital caliper remote display
09/08/2017 10:50:23

Well we have certainly covered a lot of ground since my first question.

I have said before that I am always amazed by the amount of information, comments, help and advice freely given on these forms.

Bob/Silly Old Duffer Any chance of giving links to the sites where you found the code?

My Tail Stock and Vertical Slide are both fitted with calipers.

I am trying to get my head around making a read out that would allow them to be plugged as required.

Ken

04/08/2017 18:18:04

Hi Bob

Thanks for the posts.

As you suggested I have been doing more research on the W,W,W, and came across this site

DRO with Arduino and digital calipers by Scrachi - Thingiverse

He gives an concise explanation for making a 3 axis display c/w code using a Arduino Uno,

Another one I have found suggest using a Logic Level Shifter, 4-Channel, Bidirectional between the caliper and the Arduino Uno.,

With a bit of thought they could be combined to make a single axis read out and the code could be amended to suit

Regards

Ken

02/08/2017 21:01:19

Hi Bob

Thanks for the posts,

Your suggestion about searching on line produced some interesting results.

I have invested in a book to give me an idea what the Arduino is all about.

Regards

Ken

31/07/2017 18:14:30

Thanks for all the replies.

Bob

Your reply is the sort of thing I am after but with a single axis.

Electronics is a bit of a closed book to me, I can assemble thing from a kit with point to point instructions but theory and programs enough said.

I have found a tutorial for connecting a caliper to an arduino uno but it gives the output to the USB port.

Any chance of more detail of you design?

Regards

Ken

29/07/2017 20:40:09

I have a modified digital caliper fitted to my Myford tail stock.

The display on the caliper is difficult to read (eyes are not what they used to be) I would like to attach a remote display nothing fancy just to display the read out figures.

Any Ideas/suggestions?

I have a Arceurotrade 6" Digital readout bar with remote display.

The remote display is connected to the bar with a mini USB cable and contains two 3v battery.

I have a cable that will fit to the caliper and I can fit a mini USB plug.

Could this be modified for use with the display?

Ken

Thread: ML7 Top slide sole plate info
20/07/2017 15:21:13

Hi Robbo

As you suggest my intention is to remove the S7 top slide assembly complete.then fit the tool post to the ML7 base.

I have a plug for the hole in the S7 cross slide, an appropriate size hole can be bored to fit the ML7 spigot.

Thanks to you for all your help, and everybody who took the time to post.

Ken

17/07/2017 09:41:51

Hi Gordon

Thanks for the suggestion and photo.

I have been trying to think of other things that could be used.

Good bit of thinking outside the box.

Robbo has a ML7 top slide base which I think will do the trick.

Ken

15/07/2017 22:12:08

Hi Robbo

Thanks for the reply, Yes that would be the one.

I was after information with regard to layout/dimensions etc to see what was involved in making one.

My intention is to mount the tool post direct to the sole plate/raising plate without the top slide, making the plate the correct thickness to get the centre height correct.

I do not have a ML7 top slide base to measure.

Ken

Thread: I hope this isn't embarrassing
15/07/2017 21:21:52

Ian I do not wish to hijack your post but.

I have asked questions (some of which were quite basic) on this forum.

It never fails to amaze me the amount of help and information freely given by members of this forum.

Ken

Thread: ML7 Top slide sole plate info
15/07/2017 21:10:28

I have come across reference to a "Top Slide sole plate" for the ML7 by Ian Bradley.

I want to fit a different tool holder to my Super 7 that is to tall to fit to the top slide, and this would I think solve the problem.

Is there a drawing or M.E/M.E.W. article describing this item?

Thread: Warrington Model Engineering Develooments Myford power feed
29/06/2017 21:20:11

Thanks Rod

Ken

28/06/2017 21:12:26

Rod

The one I have is for a ML7 but I can make it fit the Super 7.

I can see that it all "hangs' from the cross slide screw, and the motor and gear slide for in and out of gear.

The whole thing is stopped from rotating by a pin in the cross slide end bracket.

The pin is missing from the kit I have, could you give me some idea of what size this pin should be please

Thanks to you and everybody else who took the time and trouble to post

Ken

27/06/2017 11:02:31

I have had a hunt on line for information on the WMED power feed attachment, but can only find a couple of pictures and a cross section drawing on this site.

Has anybody got information on these they would be willing to share?

25/06/2017 21:41:16

Hi Robbo

Thanks for your reply.

It started me thinking so having had "a hunt in the shed" and found a ML7 cross slide, comparing the two I can see the difference.

The Super 7 end bracket has been modified to take a roller bearing and a couple of thrust bearings for the screw..

So I could use the Super 7 bracket replace the bearings with new bearings to suit the ML 7 screw or make a sleeve to fit inside the bearing and use an after market dial to replace the Myford one and use ML 7 handle.

When it turn's up it might be made for a Super 7.

Ken

24/06/2017 22:23:08

Did the above company make a model to fit an ML7?

I have been sent pictures of one for sale and it looks to fit an ML7.

I want to fit it to a Super 7 so my question is can I fit a ML7 feed screw and bracket to a Super 7 to accommodate it?

Thread: A really stupid question about divisions on hand wheels.
01/06/2017 20:18:22

I have know got it working just need to use it and get used to it.

Thanks everybody for your input.

Ken

01/06/2017 11:42:03

Thanks everybody for the replies..

I have said before this site never fails to amaze with the amount of information and support freely given.

I have always worked with no question is stupid if you do not know the answer better to ask no matter how stupid it sounds than to dig yourself in.

31/05/2017 19:28:43

Very true Sam

31/05/2017 14:22:54

I am using the B and W Electronics wire scales they say on setting up to move the the slides by a known amount to ensure they are reading correctly and adjusting the read out display if required.

31/05/2017 11:47:07

I have fitted DROs to the Imperial lead screw ans cross slide on my Super 7.

My 72 year old brain has got totally confused when trying to calibrate them what with mm, 1/1000", radius etc.

my question is what should the display show for

One full turn of cross slide wheel?

One full turn of the lead screw hand wheel?

I hate getting old!

Ken

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
cowells
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest