By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for colin hawes

Here is a list of all the postings colin hawes has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Accuracy of cheap ER collets
01/09/2016 10:20:34

I would only expect precision if the collet is a slide fit on the cutter shank; too much ( ie more than 1/2 mm) looseness is likely to reduce parallel gripping accuracy. Although ER collets have a greater gripping range than this it is not wise to make full use of this if it can be avoided. I have many cheap ER collets from ArcEuro and have found the accuracy to always be good Colin

Thread: Adjustable Reamers
12/08/2016 18:25:25

If an adjustable reamer does not adjust easily or seems to have an oversize blade it almost certainly needs to be dismantled and cleaned with a degreaser. I was recently glad I had one to ream a very tight small end bush.

Colin

Thread: Boiler Testing
30/07/2016 11:47:50

There should be no brass directly attached to the copper boiler and, yes, a bare boiler is required for the cold examination and the initial test at twice working pressure. It is likely the pressure gauge and obviously the safety valve(s) cannot be in place. Colin

Thread: stainless boiler banding
21/07/2016 12:41:32

The cv boots on my car are secured with stainless steel ties, not sure of the size but must be around 3/16" and they are thin. So maybe they can be obtained from car spares factor. colin

Thread: What Makes a Good Model Engineer?
19/07/2016 19:50:18

Patience: " I will make one of those one day" and 20 years later there it is. Colin

Thread: Regrinding cross head screwdriver tips?
04/07/2016 18:25:04

There is a huge difference in the useful life between a properly hardened tip and a cheap one. Colin

Thread: keyway on involute cutter
04/07/2016 18:11:55

I don't use keys for any of my 1" and 1.25" bore cutters and I've never had a problem but then I don't expect industrial production rates. However, I could forsee a problem if the cutter was fitted in a dirty state and then tightened itself altering the position when gear cutting. Colin

Thread: measuring small bores
22/06/2016 10:54:25

I think you just need to ensure the boring tool is very sharp and that it is not rubbing below the cutting edge. The only practical way to measure small bores is to make a plug gauge , preferably with a small "nearly there" step. That's how I've done many such bearing fits.

Colin

Thread: Benedict Cumberbatch featured on Cover of MEW 243
09/06/2016 17:19:32

Sometimes it is impossible or too fragile to make a casting to outside scale with internal space such as a gearbox and it is best to then fabricate by welding or machine from solid. This means there is a desire to make the fabrication look like a casting. I have recently done this for a model gearbox by leaving weld spatter all over it and had several people ask me how I made the casting. In this case weld ripples were smoothed, filled, attacked with a grinding wheel and painted aluminium colour.

Colin

Thread: How accurately can you machine?
07/06/2016 13:48:14

The purpose of precision and associated tolerances is to make spare parts interchangeable and to ensure the tightness of fit is suitable for the assembly.

Colin

Thread: Hot workshop
21/04/2016 17:37:11

I've got hazel trees partially shading my south facing workshop in the summer when they are in leaf and the sun is hottest and I still get any sunshine on offer in the winter when the leaves have fallen and it's most needed. When autumn arrives the local squirrels grab all the nuts before they ripen. In the winter I get a few replacement runner bean poles so if I can win the battle for some nuts it all works out to my advantage. At all times plenty of good daylight is welcome. I am very satisfied with a south facing workshop. Colin

Thread: Material source needed
30/03/2016 16:58:28

Only a few days ago I made a hole saw from a roll pin to work on brass about 1/4" thick. I cut the teeth with a dremmel grinder by hand using a small grinding disk as accuracy is not important. It did the job much easier than I expected and was just as sharp when I finished.

Thread: How to cool a piece for a shrink fit?
22/03/2016 10:42:25

In my opinion you are unlikely to get a big enough temperature difference by freezing the shaft. I would expect a difference of at least 200 degrees C . Colin

Thread: Opening the gap...
15/03/2016 10:39:29

Quite right Michael, the gap piece should not be part of the structural strength, my old 7" centre height Drummond has a very usefull removable gap piece for doing bulky work on the faceplate and I've used it many times without problems on vintage car and motorbike repairs. Colin

15/03/2016 10:06:02

If no great care was taken to ensure good clean finish when originally fitted there is not much chance of the gap piece being accurate after removal and refitting. Some of the imported machinery I've used shows such carelessness in other areas and I suppose that's inevitable at the price. Colin

Thread: Tongue in cheek
25/02/2016 10:26:54

Interesting that the almost obsolete imperial system, being a binary progression, is more closely tied to digital computers and their components than the metric system replacing it is. Colin .

Thread: Boiler tests comercial or club
23/02/2016 17:45:25

My club (Mid Sussex) is £20 a year. We get a workshop and boiler testing for this. Colin

Thread: Vertex HV6 - Corrected Division Table plus universal dividing spreadsheet
23/02/2016 17:40:15

My Vertex dividing head chart (ratio 1:40) has a an error for 24t ,obviously a typo as it states 1 turn and 33/22 of a turn on a 33 hole dividing plate. You are going to spot the error though as it is impossible to do that. However, I no longer trust the printed charts without confirming the sums. Colin

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread (2016)
16/02/2016 11:31:14

Now and then I do a bit more on the 1.5" scale Burrell I started years ago. I do bits of this in between other projects. No castings used on this model.

burrell model 3.jpg

Thread: Use of domestic room as a workshop
09/02/2016 14:13:18

You need to change shoes when you enter or leave the room to avoid swarf being carried around the house by them. Been there done that. Curly swarf can be very difficult to remove from some carpets. Colin

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
EngineDIY
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest