By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for colin hawes

Here is a list of all the postings colin hawes has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2017)
05/12/2017 18:03:25
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 04/12/2017 19:25:04:
Posted by colin hawes on 04/12/2017 19:11:27:

I have owned an old flat belt horizontal mill for about 50 years and all that time intended to get the power feed working and make the other bits to go with it; trips and disengaging mechanism . Now I've done it ! The machine was retrieved from a scrap metal merchant in pieces all that time ago. Colin

You can't leave the story at that! Unless you want to write it up for MEW, that is...

Neil

hmm.............That might be interesting...............??.....It's a long time since all my previous articles and now we are bogged down in new technology............ Colin

Thread: How to copy existing post into new post
05/12/2017 17:51:12
Posted by Spurry on 05/12/2017 17:28:30:
Posted by colin hawes on 05/12/2017 17:19:37:

I have still got a lot to learn about posting and at the moment I can't see how to insert another's post, as a reference, into mine. Colin

Colin

Just under your message use "Quote".

The gotcha is that you have to line- feed / new line / down arrow or whatever, to get rid of the line down the side of the quoted text. If not done your new text looks as if its part of that quoted.

Pete

Thank you Spurry.

05/12/2017 17:19:37

I have still got a lot to learn about posting and at the moment I can't see how to insert another's post, as a reference, into mine. Colin

Thread: Why Brake
05/12/2017 15:46:55

There used to be a van with windows called a shooting brake; Is it something to do with multi purpose? Colin

Thread: Use the lathe or the mill
05/12/2017 15:42:57

The lathe is very good at this sort of work, is faster than the mill and uses cheaper tools. I often use the lathe in this way. Colin

Thread: Elliot 10 inch shaper motor pulley
05/12/2017 15:33:41

The 3 phase motor on mine (which I modified to run on single phase) is/was slower than Brian's at a rated about 960 rpm and the nine and seven sixteenths diameter big pulley takes a vee belt16 mm wide at it's widest. Colin

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2017)
04/12/2017 19:11:27

I have owned an old flat belt horizontal mill for about 50 years and all that time intended to get the power feed working and make the other bits to go with it; trips and disengaging mechanism . Now I've done it ! The machine was retrieved from a scrap metal merchant in pieces all that time ago. Colin

Thread: Why ACME threads on leadscrews?
03/12/2017 19:52:13

Acme threads facilitate engagement of half-nuts of the rotating leadscrew. Colin

Thread: Dros without breaking the bank?
03/12/2017 19:07:08

never find it necessary to use flooded coolant on my minimill I just use a brush with cutting oil where necessary. It is a good idea to cover the cheap DRO with plastic or metal angle though. Colin                                                           Oops ,absent mindedly entered twice

Edited By colin hawes on 03/12/2017 19:10:12

03/12/2017 18:45:12

I never find it necessary to use flooded coolant on my minimill I just use a brush with cutting oil where necessary. It is a good idea to cover the cheap DRO with plastic or metal angle though. Colin

03/12/2017 18:05:23

It is a very quick operation to remove and replace the button cells on the cheap DRO if it is not to be in use for a while. I have used mine for about 8 years and had two failures which I repaired by dismantling the reader and VERY THOROUGH cleaning of the circuit boards and metal parts.They both worked properly on reassembly. Removing the button cell when not in use gives you a chance to avoid the corrosion which can be caused by a dead cell . As Neil has pointed out replacement readers are not expensive anyway. It is necessary to keep the reader clean and I try to achieve this by tucking a piece of stiff folded paper in the form of an angle over mine. Colin

Thread: Drill out a ht c/s allen screw
21/11/2017 16:45:04

You can drill HT screws with a HSS drill provided you keep the drill sharp, don't let it rub and use a slow speed.Colin

Thread: Heavy item for use in fidget spinner.
11/11/2017 18:49:59

New pound coins will make them happy. Colin

Thread: How long does it take you to make stuff?
11/11/2017 18:45:14

How long does a job take?. Twice as long as a careful estimate. Colin

Thread: Spurious Accuracy
03/11/2017 19:05:43

Absolute machine accuracy is unnecessary for hobby work: about the only things that matter are relative tightness between components and any old worn machine or micrometer can achieve that with care. Tolerances are usually only of interest for interchangeability of spare parts. Colin

Thread: slit saw jams
03/11/2017 18:52:43

Quite often there is stress in the bar which tends to close the slit when the cut is deep and pinch the saw. this is much less likely on cast iron than on steel. If it is possible to clamp the end being cut off this may help. Colin

Thread: Are you offended when the media poke fun at your hobby?
28/10/2017 16:15:12

Some people have the misfortune to be unimpressed with the huge manufacturing and intellectual skills displayed by the hobby machinists and if it gives them pleasure to be derogatory about them I am glad that my pleasure and theirs are complementary. Colin

Thread: Gib material - Is brass best?
28/10/2017 15:52:34

I would use steel to slide against cast iron. Colin

Thread: Lathe tool question
21/10/2017 14:21:54

For most jobs on a hobby lathe HSS Is more than adequate, cheaper than insert tools, and you will need them anyway for making various shapes. I normally only use tipped tools on tough steels or cast iron to speed things up a bit. As Duncan says tool grinding is quite easy after a little practice and it's a skill that will serve you in well in the future. I also make boring bars from silver steel and they work very well at the proper speed. Colin

Thread: In praise of angle grinders
03/10/2017 10:44:21

I recently had to liberate some steel bar from an old lorry half- shaft I would not risk my bandsaw blade on that but the angle grinder made short work of it with a 1mm disk. Colin

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Allendale Electronics
cowells
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest