By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for colin hawes

Here is a list of all the postings colin hawes has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: How do you fix a leak in steam loco copper fire box?
18/03/2018 15:15:09

Brian, my 180 PSI came from the hydraulic pressure often required for the 2x WP on a repaired model boiler The trouble with using one of the bodges is that it precludes a proper soldered repair due to the inability to clean it properly whereas the full size traction engines were riveted.

18/03/2018 14:02:59
Posted by BDH on 18/03/2018 13:36:29:

The answer from Martin is the most useful, this will enable location of the leak(s).Traditional methods of leak cure involve eggs( the whites I think but not sure) and oatmeal. I believe that powdered rice is also good for small leaks.

Perhaps others know of different remedies?

Brian

At 180 PSI ?.....Colin

Thread: Burglar alarm
18/03/2018 13:55:54

The railways have a live rail with a warning notice on a fence for those who can read . Colin

Thread: Drawing board v CAD
18/03/2018 11:21:08

I like to use both methods but on intricate things e.g. a gearbox I find that the great advantage is taking measurements with CAD to various parts without having to spend time on lots of calculations to the order of accuracy necessary for the job. I, too, am well into retirement. Colin

Thread: Driving Wheel?
16/03/2018 11:56:38

Wheel of fortune ? Colin

Thread: Left hand threads
08/03/2018 10:51:01

I have made odd taps in the past from silver steel. To avoid having to relieve the threads I kept the cutting edges very short. Worked O K for one offs on mild steel. Colin

Thread: Cobalt drills?
05/03/2018 19:04:01

Stellite will drill any hardened steel including HSS it needs to be used at high speed. As it runs red hot it may leave the sides of the hole in a carbon steel soft enough to follow up with HSS, I've never tried that though .Colin

Thread: Bandsaw blades
05/03/2018 13:49:17
Posted by RichardN on 04/03/2018 17:58:40:
Posted by colin hawes on 04/03/2018 16:03:24:

To be on the safe side you need to temper a welded blade at the weld as it may be brittle there. Colin

Sounds like a sensible move- would just bringing a couple of inches either side of the weld up to red and let cool gently be sufficient? My welds have always worked, but not for long- I suspect this could be a good solution, thanks.

About 1/2 " either side of the weld should do. Temper to blue two or three times. Colin

04/03/2018 16:03:24

To be on the safe side you need to temper a welded blade at the weld as it may be brittle there. Colin

Thread: Clamping slot widths in machines
22/02/2018 15:38:03

I have two imperial machines which have 1/2" slots, a shaper and a horizontal mill. Colin

Thread: Accurate measurement
08/02/2018 10:43:39

There's a couple of things to be aware of using a micrometer: the job needs to be very clean and the surface finish needs to be good enough to accept the accuracy required. Vernier callipers are inherently inaccurate for bore measurement as they have flats on the measuring face. Colin

Thread: TOOLING SURVEY
08/02/2018 10:10:42

The survey will only accept one choice for me..I use self grind HSS most of the time and CARBIDE INSERT for toughened steel or cast iron.

Thread: Seig sc3 'ticking over'?
01/02/2018 18:44:37

My mini mill spindle occasionally creeps so I stop it with the red emergency stop button to change tools. Colin

Edited By colin hawes on 01/02/2018 18:45:51

Thread: Bench Grinder
15/01/2018 15:43:25

I have a Hilka 6" bench grinder. It has a 1/2 HP motor and is just the job for regular workshop use. The tool rests could be improved but I don't usually use them at all anyway. Colin

Thread: battery problems
13/01/2018 16:01:09

I generally use a very light smear of any available grease. Colin

Thread: New Member
11/01/2018 10:32:45

Hello David and welcome,

I find these early workshops fascinating Colin

Thread: Starrett Tool Makers Steel Clamps
18/12/2017 19:13:01

I have a vice which is similar to the Starrett one which was made for use on a surface grinder and is very accurately ground all over. Colin

Thread: Any uses for damaged cutters?
18/12/2017 19:05:39

I have several side and face milling cutters with missing teeth and experience shows that they work perfectly well on thick material but you need to take more cars if the material is thin because one of the teeth will be taking twice the cut on auto feed. Colin

Thread: Steel plate distorting when machining surface
18/12/2017 18:55:48

The problem of long machined strips warping occurred on almost every job I had to do on press tool stripper plates. When the clamping was released after machining the bar could be guaranteed to bend so I always had to use a fly press to straighten them after machining. This is a tricky operation too although this item doesn't usually have to be machined on the reverse side. Colin

Thread: EN32B Steel
18/12/2017 13:10:25

I machined EN32 for many years using HSS tools and never had any problems. Is it anything to do with imported steel? I wonder. Colin

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
ChesterUK
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Allendale Electronics
Ausee.com.au
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest