By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for colin hawes

Here is a list of all the postings colin hawes has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: MEW, would less be more?
01/12/2011 10:25:55
Never be negative about things. I am happy to read more than one mag. a day ,it,s just a case of prioritising things.Read the bits of immediate interest for motivation ,get out to the workshop if you can afford to heat it, but read the mags. when you have just scrapped the latest part or lost that tiny bit that you have just parted off.Above all, try to get something done each day. The longest journey and little steps!
Colin
Thread: Drilling deep holes - 10x drill diameter - Runout?
31/10/2011 09:07:17
Using a slot drill to correct concentricity of the pilot hole will improve the chances of a larger drill to correct any initial inaccuracy as it will then be guided by it's diameter rather than it's point or pilot hole.
Colin
Thread: Flat bottom holes
24/10/2011 16:14:06
Tony please note that slot drills are not ftat on the end but relieved to their centre to aid their guidance.To get a flat bottomed hole means regrinding a slot drill's end.
Thread: Fly Cutting
22/10/2011 18:01:45
Hi Steve, I agree with the previous comments and would like to add that the workpiece needs to be well suported underneath by packing if it is not flat. Vibration is the problem.
Colin
Thread: Bore and stroke ratio in steam engine.
22/10/2011 17:45:24
Work done by a steam engine is (pressure) x (area of piston face) x (distance the piston travels) . An early cut off allows the expanding steam to be used more efficiently due to greater pressure drop at end of stroke,so I would expect a longer stroke to make better use of the available steam but at lower rpm.
Colin
Thread: Knurling Help Needed
15/10/2011 16:53:02
I agree with Kwil knurls work best on soft steels.
Colin
Thread: Screw cutting gears
15/10/2011 16:47:08
I don't have a Myford lathe but I would like to advise that on most imperial lathes you need to keep the leadscrew engaged and reverse the motor to return to your thread start when cutting metric threads as it won't pick up the thread again if you try to use the thread indicator.
Thread: Scriber
14/10/2011 17:41:42
My scribers are made of 6ins of 1/8 silver steel,ofhand sharpened,1in bent to 30 deg. and hardened at both ends. I have never found a need for a truly central point.
Thread: How to create a circular scribe
14/10/2011 14:34:39
I very rarely mark anything out but use the lathe or mill to locate holes.This eliminates human error due to eyesight but needs care with sums.I have made 24 equally spaced vee slots on the lathechuck backplate and can index from this,using a small milling spindle to centre drill the holes.
Thread: Did you make one of these at school or as an apprentice?
14/10/2011 14:19:36
When I was doing metalwork at school and later at a technical college we had to do things like file a square hole to a gauge size and make a square plug to fit it, all in thick steel sheet.We never made anything as interesting as an engine, although we did do beaten copper work which gave me some confidence in boiler making.
Thread: PeterE - C3 accessories - Tool Tray
14/10/2011 14:04:46
Safety first.Just make sure you get into the habit of taking tools from the side and not across the chuck,one day you may leave the machine running and drop the drill chuck key.I have a tray on the front of the headstock and sometimes let my old flat belt lathe warm up while setting tools.This may be a bad habit but time is precious.
Thread: thread indicator
12/10/2011 12:52:46
I have made one for my old 7 inch drummond lathe and used it on very many occasions over many years.
Thread: Making wheels by casting in the spokes
08/04/2011 21:14:52
Excellent video set Jason. Thanks, I enjoyed watching.

Colin
Thread: Material for smoke boxes
22/02/2011 16:44:37
Hi Michael, Note that if you roll a tube the job will probably have a flat at the start so roll an overlap so you can saw the starting flat off.
Colin
Thread: Varibale Speed for Drill Press (Induction motor?)
17/01/2011 17:48:45
Hi Steve, I consider it unnecessary to use a hss reamer at such a low speed provided you use lubricating oil  on it, the lowest belt speed should be ok. To run an AC motor at a different speed requires a frequency change and this would damage it due to the change in reactance.    
Thread: Case Hardening
17/01/2011 17:06:49
Hi Anthony, the method you use largely determines the depth of case.  I have successfully done a case deep enough for heavily loaded ball bearing races, about 2" diameter that had to be ground ,using a tobacco tin & lid with the job packed in charcoal (ex bonfire) and a piece of an old leather belt .It was the second attempt because I had not properly sealed the lid with clay (from the garden) the first time.I cant remember how long it was kept at red heat but I think it should be an hour for every 10 thou of case depth required. 
Thread: Spindle for Raglan lathe
20/11/2010 16:44:17
Hello Ian, I would be very surprised if the spindle is bent only 2 thou.It seems more likely to be the bearing fit. Are both bearings tight? or is one slack allowing the spindle to move as you rotate it?  You should test the spindle for accuracy by removing it and laying its bearing surfaces on vee blocks and testing both its nose and bearing surfaces by rotating it under a dti.   
Thread: steel for cylinders?
20/11/2010 16:01:55
Hi Peter, you don't say what the cylinder is for nor the piston material! steam would cause severe rust problems unless stainless is used. I/C engines need a cast iron liner to keep adequate lubrication film although chrome plating has been used.The problem is that soft steel gets picked up causing seizure. Hydraulic cylinders OK.
                                                                                                                             colin  
Thread: Veteran car models
02/10/2010 10:22:41
Good idea dave, you are right The Engineers Emporium do have a De-dion engine listed in another scale.
                          Thanks, Colin
01/10/2010 17:50:28
Thanks guys, you have pointed me in the right direction.The"old crocks", I mean veteran cars, London to Brighton run is not too far off and I'm sure to get some more info there.    
        Colin  
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
cowells
emcomachinetools
Ausee.com.au
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest