By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for colin hawes

Here is a list of all the postings colin hawes has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Black hole
04/01/2013 13:30:27

Having lost many small parts at the parting -off stage over the years and having to part off some tiny ball ended handles that were particularly difficult to make , I cleaned all around my lathe, surrounded it with card board walls and used a small cardboard box to catch the first one. I can't possibly lose this one! The little handle went into the box, jumped out again, landed on the flat belt, and must have joined the satellites because it didn't seem to land anywhere. The gremlins find a way whenever they wish!! Colin

Thread: Acceptable Quality
01/01/2013 15:33:49

I bought several ER25 collets from ArcEuro as they were the lowest cost and I've been very satisfied with quality and accuracy. Colin

Thread: pillar drill advice
30/11/2012 15:44:14

For a general purpose metalworking drilling machine you need the lowest bottom speed and the heaviest machine as the lower speed is better for the larger drillbits and the weight is able to dampen vibration more effectively. Colin

Thread: Laser Cut Flywheels
22/11/2012 16:51:03

Perhaps annealing/stress relieving would reduce/eliminate the vibration problem? Colin

Thread: FWIW 4 in angle grinder
15/11/2012 15:53:31

I've wondered about using such a saw but though it was too dangerous without a sole for the saw to pull against. Seems that it could grab. Am I missing something? Colin

Thread: tool tip height
06/11/2012 11:43:02

Might seem a silly question ,but does your lathe spindle lift due to slack when machining? A lever under the chuck would show up bearing wear.I don't know this lathe but spindle end float could also be a cause of poor performance. Colin

05/11/2012 16:12:50

It seems to me that the tool may not be clamped rigidly, perhaps not flat underneath or too much overhang. Colin

Edited By colin hawes on 05/11/2012 16:16:44

Thread: Scale down 7 1/4" drgs to 5" Gauge
03/11/2012 12:27:43

Wilf,you should be aware that the cross section of scaled down rods is is subject to a reduction in strength to only about 0.475 of the original design for your scale change and this may mean increasing their scaled sizes or using higher spec. materials in some stressed components. Colin

Thread: Cast iron
03/11/2012 12:09:26

I don't know the application for your cast iron project, but sometimes the obvious is easy to miss.When I design things I take standard stock sizes into account so as to involve minimum waste and machining.Dooes it really have to be exactly 130 mm finished? Colin

Thread: Drilling sliding scales
03/11/2012 11:54:00

I think you ought to forget drilling scales when clamping is perfectly adequate. Colin

Thread: Feeling of inadequacy
03/11/2012 11:50:00

Some modelmakers are perfectionists and there is nothing wrong with that ,they do superb work which I admire, but I and many others are happy just to make things that work.Don't expect to match ,in the short term,some of the work you have seen at exhibitions but just go at a comfortable pace and skills will creep up on you. Happy modelmaking. Colin

Thread: Self adulation
18/10/2012 09:50:36

Having used machinery dated from c1890 to todays date including CNC and treadle lathes I feel no envy for anyone who has all the most expensive modern equipment but get great pleasure in using my old machinesand see no advantage in buying new, often noisier, machines.It's the end result that counts.It's supposed to be a hobby not a production shop!

Thread: Lathe Spindle/Chuck Concentricity
17/10/2012 18:03:51

My 84 year old 7 " drummond lathe has a free thread fit and a good register and is very repeatable for concentricity. I believe that the register is the only important area but the thread must be perfectly square to its axis to seat the chuck to the back face of the register. Colin

Thread: Case hardening
17/10/2012 17:52:56

It is unlikely to change dimension. If a small distortion is apparent you could easily lap it, as already suggested, with a suitable pin and lapping paste. Colin

Thread: Best way to use boring tools
17/10/2012 17:37:26

Something to consider: If the shank of a boring tool can be made tapered it should reduce its ability to produce a simple resonant frequency thereby reducing the risk of vibration. Colin

Thread: Beware Bought Lathe tools.
17/10/2012 17:10:45

For beginners to machine shop engineering on a minimum budget: It is rarely cost effective or necessary to use tipped tools. The only time a model engineer can justify the cost of carbide tooling (including re-sharpening problems) is for machining cast iron when it is most desirable due to its ability to cut through hard spots and at a higher speed. A little persistant practice will soon allow you to hand grind HSS tools from standard blanks. As a matter of interest I find that one of those thin cutting discs for angle grinders saves a lot of time if a big piece of your prospective tool needs chopping off .Frequent cooling in water is needed for shaping HSS tools. Colin

Thread: table support bar on elliot 10m shaper
29/09/2012 17:58:11

I always use the table support on my Elliot shaper when possible. Colin

Thread: DRO readout prole
17/09/2012 15:09:18

One of the cheap Chinese scales on my minimill started giving a load of rubbish about a month ago so i took it apart to see if I could do anything with it reasoning that I hadn't lost anything if I couldn't get it to work properly as I've used it for about five years. I thought I was getting nowhere until the third attempt at assembly when to my delight it worked perfectly and still does. The positioning of the layers and the tightness of the screws seem to be very critical. My policy has always been that if it is likely to be scrap there's no loss in having a go Colin

Thread: Taper Pin
15/09/2012 17:32:03

Mick,you are right ,you should use a tapered pin in the clapper box even if you make one yourself. Colin

Thread: cutting a 1mm pitch thread on Imperial lathe
15/09/2012 17:24:22

It may be worth getting a tap as you may want to make other equipment for your lathe. I don't think that 0.6mm error per inch is good enough for this application. Perhaps you could use a tap on the blank faceplate and turn the register after screwing the job onto your lathe spindle back -to- front with a spacer then turning as usual. Colin

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
cowells
emcomachinetools
Ausee.com.au
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest