By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for colin hawes

Here is a list of all the postings colin hawes has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Roller Bearings
28/12/2020 15:06:55

It seems to me that missing rollers could twist sideways and cause some cross locking which could result in the hard rollers skidding and cracking . Colin

Thread: Micro Milling/Drilling Machine CMD10
03/12/2020 19:03:30

I absolutely agree with JasonB. Colin

Thread: Workshop Setup Help
29/11/2020 17:16:25

It is sometimes possible to mount a mini mill, a bench drill and a grinder on a rotatable locking bench top so that the required machine can be brought to the front whilst the other two are behind to save space. Colin

Thread: Workshop temperature - cold
29/11/2020 17:08:59

If I'm in my shed for more than 5 minutes I need the temperature to be 20 degrees C. I cant do precision work when it's cold so I have got my small lathe in an insulated 8x6 ft shed and only use my bigger workshop if I have to as it takes too long to get warm.. This arrangement works well for me. Colin

Thread: Level of qualifications in the UK
25/11/2020 17:20:06

I have actually been refused two jobs when I presented the qualifications required because I was considered overqualified. I was about 55 at that time.

Thread: Newbie with no prior skills on lathe
11/11/2020 15:32:38

Hi Jodey, always making sure the cutting tools are very sharp will give you a good start with your turning. Colin

Thread: Plans for updating the archaic forum?
11/11/2020 15:22:13

I am quite happy with our lovely "archaic" forum. Colin

Thread: Bolts or studs
07/10/2020 12:15:25

Bob , thanks for the comment about my traction engine model; It is a working on compressed air model and has been shown at the now discontinued Brighton model world exhibitions several times during construction. It still has some pipework to be done but I have tested the boiler to twice working pressure successfully. Colin

06/10/2020 10:29:38

Studs are preferable in my opinion to reduce the risk of wear and other damage to critical threads when carrying out maintenance. Colin

Thread: Reminiscences
21/09/2020 11:58:22

Silly Old Duffer; I don't know about "Lady-Wee" but ,from experience, I can confirm that a dog bitch's can kill grass. Colin

Thread: which older mill to complement a ML7?
21/09/2020 11:47:01

Round column mills are often a pain as it is generally unlikely that you can raise and lower the head to accurately arrive at the same co-ordinate position: I would definitely recommend a vee slide column. Colin

Thread: What plastic for a mower deck
06/09/2020 14:20:57

I repaired the rusted through deck on my mower with fibreglass on the top and inside (like a sandwich) two years ago and it is still excellent now.

Thread: Stainless steel
26/08/2020 11:11:09

Worn out windscreen wiper rubbers contain two inserted springy stainless steel strips ~ 2.5 x 0.8mm x blade length and easily removed .More free metal for the model making supply!

Thread: Welding precautions
17/07/2020 12:18:33

Thanks everybody for the response to my query, it seems I have been too apprehensive about welding near the rear of a car but as a beginner in this sort of repair I have been pleased to have your inputs and anecdotes. Colin

Thread: How safe is holding stock with jaws reversed on lathe
16/07/2020 12:26:53

Depends how thick the tube wall is, thin walls can easily be distorted under cutter force causing the chuck to lose it's grip .Colin

Thread: Welding precautions
16/07/2020 12:19:31

When garages weld on new sills do they remove the petrol tank or is this considered unnecessary? Colin

Thread: Poly-Vee Belts
16/07/2020 12:11:10

I have been using a toothed belt on it's smooth side to drive my Drummond lathe for years as I reckon it gives a better grip than leather and no changes in it's tension. Colin

Thread: Boring problem
09/07/2020 18:23:56

This can be aggravated by the tool not being sharp enough so that the rear of the tool is sharper than the leading edge and also if there is any slack in the carriage adjustment causing it to twist when the tool is extracted. Colin

Thread: Workshop Gloves
31/05/2020 17:29:21

If a machine catches even a thin glove it can drag your hand in long before the glove has had enough time to tear even if it is rotating at only 100 rpm. Don't do it ! .It is easier to clean your hand than to replace it. Colin

Thread: Possible machine hoist?
29/03/2020 14:22:32

I store my heavy chucks on a shelf behind the lathe with a short ramp so that I can roll them into place at the right level to fit them . I have done the same with a heavy dividing head by the horizontal miill .I'm no' so young as I used to be! Colin

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest