By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for colin hawes

Here is a list of all the postings colin hawes has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Adjustable 3-jaw chuck designs
06/08/2019 10:29:12

I have a cheap 3 jaw chuck that is quite accurate on some diameters of stock and much less on others, the accuracy varying between 0.001" and 0.005" T.I.R. Having checked the parallelism between register, back plate and chuck faces I come to the conclusion that the scroll is likely to be the cause of the variation so it seems that for one-offs I might as well use an independent four jaw chuck as attempt to adjust the self centering one...……I am hoping to improve things now that I have discovered small burrs on the scroll Colin.

The scroll needs to be checked for radial slackness.

Edited By colin hawes on 06/08/2019 10:33:04

Thread: Do you use Chinese HSS?
29/06/2019 10:30:00

Be wary of the description HSS. It's been used as a suppliers name in the past. Colin

Thread: What method do you use to find center height for your lathe bit?
29/06/2019 10:26:02

Estimation followed by adjustment if necessary. Colin

Thread: Do you clean your workshop at the end of the day?
29/06/2019 10:21:27

If I am doing intricate work I tidy all around that area first otherwise something is certain to disappear but I do keep the machine surfaces wiped clean. I do the floor if I think it needs it. Colin

Thread: Can We Be Too Good For Our Own Good - sometimes|?
21/06/2019 11:12:20

A company where I worked had frequent trouble with a radial drill motor randomly blowing one or more of it's three fuses. Electrical maintenance people were called in several times to solve the problem, checking everything with their test equipment and finding no fault as the motor would always run again with replacement fuses and their conclusion was that a rewind was required. I took the motor apart myself ( with some difficulty) and found the stator and rotor almost seized with accumulated sticky debris from years of use. It ran faultlessly after that was cleaned off.

Thread: The shape of cutting tools.
17/06/2019 11:11:04

Excellent training film. Colin

Thread: Free cutting mild steel
17/06/2019 10:57:15

Yes....and make sure you keep the tools sharp. Colin

Thread: Threading Problems on Colchester Student
17/06/2019 10:53:19

I don't know the exact design of this machine but the sort of things I would examine are : can the half nuts move? are there missing teeth in the gears? Has the shear pin partly failed? I would not expect end float on the leadscrew to be the cause of your problem. Colin

Thread: Myford/ Drummond M Type chuck back plate.
02/06/2019 12:12:27

I have machined 24 notches on my backplate for dividing purposes. Colin

Thread: Hostaform, Nylon or Steel For Mini Mill Gear?
29/05/2019 15:33:14

Thank you Ketan for that information. Colin

29/05/2019 14:59:56

Does the control board have no overcurrent / overload protection then? Just a question . Colin

29/05/2019 14:26:49

I have always reckoned that gears should be unbreakable not fail safe and that plastic of any sort for this job is used because it is far cheaper to injection mould a plastic gear than to machine a steel one. A sheer pin device would be used if protection was considered necessary but I have known a Tufnol gear to be used in a gear train to reduce noise. If my minimill gears ever strip I shall replace them with steel/cast iron ones and grease them well. Colin.

Thread: Variable Speed Drive belts - acceptable dimension tolerance
21/05/2019 18:14:32
Posted by Adam Harris on 20/05/2019 19:34:44:

Colin would the deformation process result in the outer top edge becoming hard and cracked/crusty or do you think it would deform remaining pliable ? The belt I am replacing has its outer top edge worn into a state where it is hard and cracked and I believe this is making the big noise from the variable pulley system. I'm not sure in the world of variable speed pulleys how significant a 1 degree difference is in profile of the sheave vs belt

Edited By Adam Harris on 20/05/2019 19:35:14

When I say deform I mean continually bend to wedge in its groove not wear; after all, the belt has to continually deform to go round the pullies. I have never seen the Hardinge drive but I guess it consists of interlocking pulley sides which must be hard on a belt anyway especially if the sector edges wear to be sharper. I don't claim to be any sort of expert on drive belts but just giving my thoughts as requested. Colin

20/05/2019 18:19:38

I would expect the belt to deform that one degree to seat in it's pullies after a running in period.

Thread: stamford show vandals
20/05/2019 12:56:45

This sort of destruction is completely beyond my understanding and I like to think I can understand most things. We see the same sort of destructive attitude to flower displays and newly planted trees in parks when real humans think they are lovely and would like more. Wanton destruction should attract a long and very visible hard labour sentence of benefit to the community.

My sympathy goes out to the club.

Thread: Cutting steel to size
12/05/2019 19:18:43

I use a Warco bandsaw for soft metals and mild steel and an angle grinder with 1mm cut-off grinding wheel for tougher steels (to save the saw blade) Colin

Thread: LED replacement bulbs
30/03/2019 17:17:32

I bought LED 14W bulbs from ASDA. They give a light output like the 100W filament bulb. Colin

Thread: Skyhooks - an overhead solution
30/01/2019 11:20:36

A hinged and latched notice board fixed to the ceiling could be a space saving way of hanging a drawing for those of us whose neck objects to looking up too long. Colin

Thread: Cutting Speed Table
12/01/2019 12:25:16

The cutting speeds can be wildly different to the theoretical but generally the speed can be set by what the tool temperature and the machine can withstand; the feed rate can be increased with speed up to that limitation, for example, we often use far to slow a speed to cut screw threads because we can't handle the feed rate. The same applies to facing large discs where we need to consider the largest diameter although the speed is really too slow at the smallest diameter when you have no facility to continuously change the speed. By "feel" you can increase the feed rate as the surface speed increases. Colin

Thread: Commercial boilers
05/01/2019 16:18:40

Commercial miniature boilers have to be CE marked or they can't be tested by clubs. They have to have a test certificate to be used in a public accessible place.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Advertise With Us
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Meridienne Sept 2019
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest