By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Pete Hill

Here is a list of all the postings Pete Hill has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Myford quick change gearbox questions
23/08/2017 23:03:16
Posted by Ockert Lombard on 10/01/2014 07:43:01:

I just had to modify the changewheel guard to fit. It meant some cutting and filing but now it is fitting fine. I just need to top up the gearbox with oil and then I am ready to go!

Thanks for the help.

Ockert

Hi Ockert

I have just finsihed fitting a QC gearbox to my S7 , I have found the guard is not closing correctly due in part to the lever that locks the spindle and a slight issue with the top section of the guard catching the bearing housing. Can you confirm this is a similar issue that you had? I don't want to start removing metal to find I can shim it out or some clever fix, but it does not look like it from what I can see.

Thanks Pete

Thread: Travelling steady identification
18/03/2016 17:30:17

Hi

I purchased a 12" harrison last year which came with various odds and sods including a steady which I carefully cleaned and repainted. I thought before putting it away I would check it fitted the lathe, but alas no it doesn't. The hole dimensions are in the attached photo, and the spacing on the lathe appears to be 4 1/8" rather than the 4 1/2" of the steady. Any ideas which model this would fit or anyone need to swap??

lathe travelling steady.jpg

Thread: over arm supports?
16/01/2016 20:10:27

Thanks for the responses, David, they were I think both green just my poor photography, and they are both identical. I will have a closer look but I think John is correct.

Thanks for the help

Now anyone want two supports let me know.

Pete

15/01/2016 22:27:26

Hi

Can anyone cast light on what these supports might be from? I acquired them along with a lathe purchased last year, no use for them and want to know if they are of use to anyone.

The body is aluminium, each one has a sight glass for an oil reserve and a bronze sleeve bearing, they obviously tighten on to a vee way I assume on an overarm support but I could of course be totally wrong.... Approx 250 wide and 250 high - just guessing here not got them to hand nor have I actually measured them.

Thanks Pete

photo0205.jpgphoto0207.jpg

Thread: Any other local model engineers out there
12/04/2011 21:29:55
Hi Saltire

Not sure of any groups in the Borders, but there is a group in Edinburgh, ESME, and I think one based at Vogrie country Park near Newtongrange Eskvalley Model Engineering Society. Try this site for info

http://www.smet.org.uk/SMET_clubs/viewClub.php?c_id=7

Both societies have tracks and both I think run on Sundays.

Hope this is some help

Pete
Thread: Morse taper adapter
15/03/2011 23:49:13
Hi Graeme

Thanks for the reply, I will pm you if I need to take you up on the offer. The mill is an Alexander, bought recently in an auction and it came with the standard boxes of "stuff" some of it for the machine and lots of stuff that isn't too. Once I have sorted through it I may need to give you a shout.

The spindles are both 4 mt, and most of the tooling I have acquired so far is 2 or 3 mt. I do though have a 4 mt Clarkson chuck so may just end up using that for the meantime. I am not sure what the draw bar is as yet, but there are at least two so far going through the boxes. There also appears to be a set of r8 collets and a 4 mt holder though that too is minus the ejector ring that should be on it, but I can make that up.

I will check through the rest of what I have this week and give you a shout if I need to take up your offer, but it might be handy.

Thanks Pete
15/03/2011 17:30:35
I hope some one can point me in the direction of a 3- 4 mt adaptor with and open end for a drawbar and an ejector ring for removal. I have just got a milling machine with a 4mt spindle which had an open ended sleeve in it. But having spent a nerve-wraking half hour getting the existing sleeve out some easier and safer form of removal would be great.

Tried MSC, RDG and Chronos but best I have found was a 2-3 mt version. I have thought of an alternative, if some what less professional solution, but if anyone knows of some where I can get one that would be grand.

Thanks pete
Thread: brrrr
20/12/2010 20:48:43
I use a Comma oil LIC10, for hydraulic jacks,  an ISO VG 32 grade of oil similar to the Nuto H32.  I was surprised at the price, can't remember what it cost for 5 litres but recall being surprise how little it was.  Had a right job tracking it down only to find the local automotive supplier had cans and cans of it.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Meridienne oct 2019
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
cowbells
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest