By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Phil P

Here is a list of all the postings Phil P has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Is this an improvement?
18/02/2020 23:35:10

I am just wondering if the surface contact area between a wheel tooth and a roller would be sufficient to overcome the friction between the roller and its pin, so that it will revolve if you see what I mean.

It would be an interesting experiment to prove it either way though.

Phil

Thread: Why?
18/02/2020 13:15:09

Are they for pipe threading ?

Phil

Thread: Pultra P type spindle
17/02/2020 12:54:33

On my Putra 1770 I have two tailstocks available, the lever feed one takes standard 10mm Pultra collets the same as the headstock, but the screw feed tailstock takes the short version of the MT0. So they obviously used both in different situations.

I have never come across the setup in the original post before, I think it must be a one off.

Phil

Edited By Phil P on 17/02/2020 12:56:20

Thread: Myford Super Seven help
10/02/2020 07:11:02

I somehow doubt it, but its possibly worth asking Myford if they know the answer.

Its not very good engineering practice to use the same part number for a changed part if it is not "Fit Form & Function" though.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Phil

Thread: PayPal scam?
08/02/2020 20:53:21

Adrian

That's exactly what I do as well, I also use a separate email address purely for online transactions and nothing else.

Phil

Thread: Rack operated tailstock ?
07/02/2020 19:55:23

For anyone wondering what the Cowells capstan rack feed tailstock looks like, this is mine.

It took a long time to find one at an affordable price, I dont think they have been made for a lot of years now. There is one on ebay right now for just a tad under £300 !!!

I have added the stop collar at the rear end so it halts the spindle and trips the die head open at the correct depth.

workshop 018 24 dec.jpg

Phil

Edited By Phil P on 07/02/2020 19:56:37

Edited By Phil P on 07/02/2020 19:58:24

Edited By Phil P on 07/02/2020 19:58:58

07/02/2020 14:44:37

I use a standard screw feed tailstock 95% of the time on my Myford S7.

I also have a spare ML7 tailstock fitted with a Cowells rack feed attachment, I fit and use that instead when threading with a die head.

Phil

Thread: Building a miniature router for inlay
02/02/2020 22:29:37

We used to own the full size engine back in the 70's, so I was on good terms with its new owner and he lent me one of the original emblems off the engine for a while.

I got a full size copy cast from it, and then used that as the pattern for the 1/4 size version on the engraver.

The model now belongs to yet another new owner of the full size engine, but I still have the full size copy of the emblem hanging on my wall as a memento.

I think we seem to have wandered of thread a bit with all this reminiscing about old times, sorry.

Phil

02/02/2020 19:08:57

Here as promised are some photo's of the David Dowling 858 cutter grinder.

I have the original bill of sale for this and the engraving machine, the paperwork dates from 1957 and has survived intact through various owners of the machines which must be pretty rare these days.

david dowling cutter grinder 001 02-02-20.jpg

david dowling cutter grinder 002 02-02-20.jpg

david dowling cutter grinder 004 02-02-20.jpg

david dowling cutter grinder 005 02-02-20.jpg

david dowling cutter grinder 006 02-02-20.jpg

And finally one of the actual engraving machine.

pict1119.jpg

These can do 3D work up to a point. I used mine to copy some brass emblems for a 3" scale Ruston Lincoln Imp steam tractor.

ruston-16.jpg

geof 80th and old warden 137.jpg

Phil

Edited By Phil P on 02/02/2020 19:09:39

02/02/2020 13:35:59

Alan

You should have got an email from me a while ago.

Another thought I had was to make a new spindle for the Dowling engraver so it will take parallel shank cutters.

I wondered about using ER11 collets, but I have a good stock of the taper shank cutters so never went any further with the idea. The dowling spindle is separate from the actual motor itself, so should not present too many problems in making one with a different nose. These are the bits of a spare spindle and housing I have.

workshop 004 01-09-16.jpg

As an aside, I have done a bit of routing for inlay on some of my Victorian musical box cases and lids, I had good results using a Proxxon drill and router kit.

**LINK**

Phil

02/02/2020 13:25:30

Phil,

Could you please post some photos of the David Dowling cutter grinder, for reference

... much appreciated

MichaelG.

Hi Michael

I had a blonde moment earlier, the engraver is actually a model 731, I have contacted Alan and arranged to scan my paper copy of the manual to PDF tomorrow.

I will take a few photo's of the 858 cutter grinder and post them up later.

Phil

02/02/2020 11:38:45

Alan

The David Dowling uses standard Taylor Hobson taper cutters which can often be found on ebay.

I have model 858A along with the correct cutter grinder that goes with it. I also have a PDF manual if you would like a copy.

Phil

Thread: Rear parting
02/02/2020 11:12:49

There looks to be a lot of overhang on that setup, just be aware that the tool and its holder will flex when taking a cut.

Phil

01/02/2020 22:22:41

This is my solution.

Parting Tool Holder 2

Parting Tool Holder 2

Parting Tool Holder 1

Phil

Edited By Phil P on 01/02/2020 22:24:24

Thread: Question about Harrison lathe
30/01/2020 17:04:55

My Harrison L5A originally had a massive two speed three phase motor fitted.

I have since changed it for a three phase 1400 RPM 1.5kw motor and run it from a single to three phase inverter.

I was looking for the slower speeds on mine rather than the faster speeds.

Phil

PS;-

I did have a single phase 1400 RPM motor on for a while, but it was nowhere near as smooth running as a three phase motor, and I was getting some of the vibrations showing up in the turned finish.

Edited By Phil P on 30/01/2020 17:07:12

Thread: Windows 7 support ends
27/01/2020 16:35:33

I have just updated from Win 7 to Win 10, having previously checked to see which of my programs will work it told me that my Office 2003 is not going to, so I purchased a licence key from ebay for Office 2016, it was very expensive at just under a fiver.

I duly did the FREE update to Win 10, and so far everything that was working on 7 is still working on 10, including Office 2003 and a whole host of other older programs.

It was quite a painless procedure to do the update, and so far I am pleasantly surprised at how well I am getting on with Win 10 after all the bad hype. I think I will update my Office to 2016 though just to get the extra features now available.

I actually cloned my SSD onto another new one, then did the upgrade on the clone, so I still have the original Win 7 SSD in case it all went wrong.

Phil

Thread: To bolt or not to bolt
25/01/2020 16:07:01

If as you say you have a solid concrete floor then I would say no you do not NEED to bolt it down.

My own S7 has some adjustable feet in the base lugs to allow me to level it up and ensure there is no rocking around.

Phil

Thread: Problem with my downstairs ;)
22/01/2020 08:13:15

I get these type of nuts in at work fairly often, as stated above they are lock nuts but they always have a finer pitch than you you would see on a standard nut for that diameter. You can also buy the matching tab washers from the same place.

Typical supplier

**LINK**

Phil

Thread: Apologies for raising this again
19/01/2020 22:08:55

I lightened the flywheel on my Austin Seven Special many years ago, I used a spare crankshaft to set it up in the Harrison lathe and remove a few pounds of excess weight, it certainly helped with slicker gear changes and blipping the throttle when double de-clutching etc.

p0000003.jpg

I also fitted a newly manufactured Phoenix Engineering crankshaft, this shows it set up in the lathe for hand lapping the taper between it and the flywheel.

I had already previously experienced a loose fly wheel prior to that, and did not want to repeat that again.

p0000001.jpg

Phil

Thread: Honda Brake Cable
18/01/2020 17:49:38

Alan

I cannot give you any specific help, but have you tried David Silver or John Oldfield for your Honda parts.

They were very good for supplying parts for my 1972 Honda XL250 rebuild.

Phil

honda 002.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest