By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Rod Ashton

Here is a list of all the postings Rod Ashton has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Running Care and Maintenance
09/11/2012 09:54:42

Could anyone reccomend a book(s) covering the running, care and maintenance of model traction engines. Assuming there is such a publication?

I have ordered George Thomas but that is mostly build.

Thread: File racking
05/11/2012 08:53:49

Could anyone suggest a propriatory source of workshop racking for metal file storage please. Plastic or metal.

Web searches not delivering.

I know I should make one. But too many projects.

Thread: Conestoga
04/11/2012 05:43:31

Could not say why!!! Except inspired by some exhibits at Sandown on Friday. I would now like to build a wooden model of a Pensilvanian style Conestoga Ox/mule wagon. Any experianced rapport cordially recieved.

Thread: Myford / Dixon Toolpost limitation
14/10/2012 13:42:54

John

More or less what I have. But with the old Myford 4 way on top. So yes in theory I could fit the fit the old standard Dixon.

Rod

14/10/2012 11:25:00

John

Yes I have a crossslide block. It is not QC but the old 4 way rachet type. Pain itb to move it and have not used it for years.

Peter E

I would like to discuss your design with you if possible?

Forgot one!qctp myford sectcl.jpg

Edited By Rod Ashton on 14/10/2012 11:31:18

14/10/2012 09:43:27

qctp myford xy.jpgqctp myford base.jpgqctp myford 2d dwg.jpgqctp myford.jpg

I decided to use the "japanese" basis for an overhung QCTP design. The green base represents the contact area of the Myford topslide. (Approx. 2,6"x2.6" All toolholders will drop below the top plane of this part and still rotate, until limited by the sides of the topslide. There are many variations that can be made to personal taste. But I publish the basic part and min. dimensions in case anyone else is looking for a similar type of "workaround"

Can offer the 2D and 3D files to any interested party.

"Prostrate myself before you!"

10/10/2012 13:59:47

Decided to make a beefed up modified version of nifty/amigos/qctp design to overhang the base and to allow rotation.

If there is anyone familiar with this or having made one. I would like to know if the "fixing shaft" clamps the "body" to the surface. Or if it clamps through the eccentric cam by means of the shoulder on top of the "fixing shaft" It can be done either way. Which is best?

Since this is for the Myford I will post design and build

04/10/2012 16:08:24

Been studying this!!!

How about moving or at least making a second location for, the toolblock pivot.

Looks like about 15mm north west would permit clearance & rotation also?

Let you know............

04/10/2012 11:03:52

Thank you gentlemen! - To explain:

I have three lathes. All have the same size Dixon and all toolholders will interchange if required.

The non-Myfords all happily accept 12mm tooling (which I would `nt call "industrial" and so you will see that I am kinda locked in. Current thinking is make an overhung block on the "V" clamp priciple. That will allow clearance of either the existing toolholders or a new design, to both drop the 12 mm tools to C/hieght and permit rotation.

03/10/2012 13:46:16

Is there a practical solution to the bottoming out problem of Dixon toolholders onto the Myford crossslide base, when using tools over 10mm high (approx)

It is extreemly frustrating having to machine the base of some 12.5 mm high lathe tools, to acheive centre.

If you have remedied this problem. Would appreciate the "workaround"

Thread: Mach 3 Training
01/10/2012 14:05:15

John

I see on another thread that you run CNC courses. Would you PM some details and location info. please.

01/10/2012 11:16:06

John

Took a look! - I have an old ArcEu conversion. It seems the registration is only for newer machine users? i.e Dealer info etc. requirement.

01/10/2012 07:02:42

John

"Maidens prayer" Can we have a link?

I for one, would be pleased to contribute my 2&3D CAD knowledge if desired.

Thread: Mach3
30/09/2012 06:54:27

The thread has morphed away from the original question.

How then, about the future for further Mach3 articles!!!!

28/09/2012 08:47:07

David :-

"Also, there is no budget for digital only articles.

Quite happy to start a digital CNC learning thread."
Please do follow up as convenient. I firmly believe you would significantly increase subscription by publishing/posting articles and learning threads.
Bob :- I am a pensioner also ( not a rich one) I am a time served toolmaker (handraulic) and made a career in CAD tooling design, beginning in ACAD2 for reference. Just gone into CNC milling and turning. The most fascinating challenge I have approached in 20 years. Even if you cannot run to the hardware. A brief study of the concepts is inspiring.
If you find yourself in the central south and want to play with some machines. PM me and I will make a cup of cocoa (or Camp coffee if I have enough coupons.)
27/09/2012 14:08:51

Thanks Paul. Looks like this needs support from us "screengazers"?

I too initiated my CNC machining through those articles.

There are many published MEW articles that are not of specific interest to me. I dont need the "back to basics" series. But applaud it`s inclusion.

I would not dream of condeming an article because it did not fit into my personal profile. I am sure there is term for this, but I am reluctant to type it.

27/09/2012 07:52:16

For the record I am a model admirer and not a model maker. I subscribed to MEW on the back of the excellent Mach 3 primer articles. While I am not at all dissapointed with MEW generally. No similar articles have appeared since. - May I put in an appeal for another series please. Lazyturn + Wizards perhaps?

Thread: Tool tip radii
24/09/2012 07:41:45

My initial enquiry was based on my thoughts for the redesign a redundant spindle type ball turning attachment. The initial setup of the blank, to centre it easily, was myMuch main problem. First thoughts involved a series of radius setup pins used "dry" against the grinding wheel. But wishing also to incorporate the cutter form angles (i.e. as in thread tips) it would require a protractor mechanism and/or a dividing head type pin wheel.

Getting quite involved hence my application to the forum.

Much looking forward to seeing Grahams honing jig design.

If a specific kit is available? I would appreciate the source.

20/09/2012 15:57:55

Anyone have a method for a grinding jig to make a specific tool tip radius on for instance thread profile tool. Since different radii are required for stepped thread dia`s. It would be good to do this scientifically as oppposed to handraulic. Please share if you have a method or a tool/jig design.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Warco
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
walker midge
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest