By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for paul rayner

Here is a list of all the postings paul rayner has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Stuart 10V Build Log - Complete Beginner...
21/05/2020 22:02:47

have a look at Harold Halls site he has a build log for the 10v with lots of useful tips and plans for work holding jigs etc.

**LINK**

regards

Paul

Thread: A polite note to beginners from ARC
21/05/2020 00:01:14

whats up with you all, arc is providing this forum and the mags a service and revenue. yes he is getting advertising from it ,but that business. his company I have personally found is second to none, not only Ketan but all his staff will go out of there way to help you even if they point you to one of there competitors and do not benefit form a sale themselves. Jason & Neil may or may not have had freebies, but so what they were used to contribute to the magazine. which before you all start moaning and groaning just think we all started at some time. and any help I think is great for the beginner as you all know it's not a cheap hobby.

How come nobody's having a dig at chesters readers tips where they receive a £30 voucher

as far as I'm concerned Ketan,Neil & Jason keep on doing what you are doing. take no notice of the jealous buggers

Thread: Muncaster's Simple Entablature Engine
04/05/2020 21:34:30
Hi all
I came across this site in UK for fasteners etc on my search if anyones interested
they seem to have a good range, reasonable prices & cheap p&p (to UK)
regards
Paul
Thread: A Big Thank You to all Forum Members
04/05/2020 21:23:59
Posted by Cornish Jack on 04/05/2020 21:17:48:

Well said (posted), Neil - particularly the tribute to Jason. You forgot to mention that, quite obviously, Jason is a nom-de-plume for three people. It's just not possible for any one person to get through the various activities he presents winkThis really is a nice, enjoyable forum to browse in!

rgds

Bill

I second that. In fact I think Jason ought to be paididea

Mr Gilligan is a mine of information and a great contributor too I don't know how he does it.

Edited By paul rayner on 04/05/2020 21:26:29

04/05/2020 14:02:12

Thank you Jason thats given me something to think about

regards

Paul

04/05/2020 13:20:30
Posted by JasonB on 04/05/2020 12:57:43:

That looks fine, I've used that seller before myself and now you have no excuse not to make another 5 engines

I'm already building 2 that's taking me long enough, it's only because of the lockdown i've managed to get some time to get back into my shed.

while we are on the topic where do you get your nuts from?

m2.5 self Colour seem to be very expensive from model engineer suppliers.

yet from other firms they only seem to supply them in stainless or bzp

regards

Paul

04/05/2020 10:29:57

cheers Jason

i've ordered these, I think they should be ok, time will tell

**LINK**

many thanks

regards

Paul

04/05/2020 08:49:32

Jason that explains the 0.103 I thought about the 15/16" but that is a tad under 24mm wouldn't that not be any good?

thank you all

I will get some metric ones ordered

regards

Paul

03/05/2020 23:30:06

I'm confused about the vitron o ring.

I can't find any metric ones, or am I looking in the wrong place.

the usual model engineering suppliers use imperial, which the sizes in the magazine equate to 3/32 or 0.09375 section and 49/64 or 0.76563 id . they are nowhere near what I have seen online

(ps sizes rounded and taken from model engineers handbook)

can anybody point me in the right direction for these "elusive" o rings

thankyou

regards

Paul

Thread: Muncaster No1 with Reverser BUILD & DRAWINGS
30/03/2020 13:36:36

come on Jason, give us a chance. I haven't finished the last one yet.sad

On a serious note keep em coming.

regards

Paul

Thread: What sort of things DO NOT inspire you
23/02/2020 22:14:51

politicians

sorry I know we shouldn't get political, but, well I do find them uninspiring.

Edited By paul rayner on 23/02/2020 22:17:14

Thread: SIP Variable Speed Floor Drill Press
30/11/2019 20:56:33

converters are dead easy there are wiring diagrams supplied with the units also you can mount the unit on a wall away from the machine and have a separate small speed control on the machine itself.

can't comment on jet as far as I know they only do woodworking stuff but somebody else in the know will probably let you know.

Iv'e got a Meddings myself ex BAE probably 40+ years old and apart from a few usual marks on the table i'm very happy with it. paid £250 for it

regards Paul

Thread: Stewart 10H drawings
29/11/2019 19:00:29

hello Watford

you can still buy them here- stuartmodels.com

gone up a bit though £13.35+vat

regards

Paul

Thread: SIP Variable Speed Floor Drill Press
29/11/2019 18:52:03

update- just got home from work and the sealy part is not the same, so if anyone wants a PDM155B-3-07 pulley insert for a sealy machine let me know.

to original poster save your money and buy yourself a decent second hand meddings forbco etc even if its 3 phase and you have to splash out on an inverter you wont regret it

regards

Paul

29/11/2019 12:29:16

Yep I bought one a few years ago

In my opinion there only fit for the scrap bin

Poorly made . Mine Broke and I contacted Sip the spindle pulley shaft is no longer available! Even though they are still selling the new machines with the same part.

I've managed to source one from sealy which seems to be the same machine. Still waiting for it to arrive

If I had my time over again I would buy a good 2hand one even if you have to splash out on an inverter

Paul

Thread: A very old model marine engine
27/10/2019 17:57:47

Nigel beat me too it he must type with 2 fingerssmiley instead of my one

Edited By paul rayner on 27/10/2019 17:59:10

27/10/2019 17:55:58

Hiya Bob

It's a cylinder lubricator, very basically steam condenses in it water go's to the bottom oil floats to top into valve and lubricates the cylinder. the tap at the bottom is to empty the water out, you fill with steam oil at the top

regards

Paul

26/10/2019 16:01:39

cheers Jason yes You learn sumat new every day eh!

regards

Paul

26/10/2019 13:50:40

Jason

I'm waiting of some reamers etc to progress, so I thought I would make a start on some studding for the main bearings.

A couple of stupid questions if I may

1) did you use washers? as it looks as though you have when you expand the picture but they look painted or is it just a shadow from the camera light

2) How did you tighten the nuts up without chewing up the paint????

3) did you locktite the studs in to a set depth

regards

Paul

24/10/2019 20:43:24

Jason I'm not brave enough to do it that way on the mill with such small taps. I do however with bigger ones M6 +

as a matter of interest I thought I would "have a go" at removing that broken tap. I drilled through from the other side and to my surprise when the drill met the tap I measured it and the tap was only 3.5mm in the work. I then got a small punch? drift? one of them round bar things with a flat end on lightly tapped a few times each side and bugger me it came out! So I need not have made another bearing blockfrown

ah well it's all fun eh

regards

Paul

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
cowells
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest