By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for blowlamp

Here is a list of all the postings blowlamp has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Coolant
07/08/2011 22:21:49
I find that Sainsbury's Natural Furniture Polish with Beeswax works very well when milling aluminium and keeps my workshop smelling fresh.
One can lasts a long time if you 'give it' the odd squirt while you're working. It's good 'cos it sticks to vertical surfaces without draining off so a little goes a long way.

Martin.
Thread: Don't assume the obvious
01/08/2011 02:30:40
Steve.
Just to clarify my point.
I do find second line of your 'report' example confusing, not because it reverses the meaning of the previous similar line, which I don't think it actually does, but because the punctuation as it stands just doesn't make any sense to me without the quotation marks.

I believe Sid's 'Panda' post (above), is a good example of where a well placed comma can help the author convey his message clearly and makes all the difference to the understanding of an article.

My reading of the title Model Engineers' Workshop is that it refers to the community of Model Engineers in general, but each article is about a project within a particular Model Engineer's Workshop, so I don't see any real need to change anything on grounds of grammar.

If we are changing names, then how about Engineers Home Workshop, with or without apostrophy?

Martin.
01/08/2011 00:10:34
Posted by John Stevenson on 31/07/2011 23:37:23:
You are missing the point, was the report right or wrong?
inquiring minds want to know........................

John S.

I'll need to conduct an enquirey and make a report, but bear in mind that many of the reports that I read are right in their intention, but wrong in their conclusion. This results in an investigation with regard to where things went wrong and - naturally enough - results in a report being produced.

So I'll get back to you when I'm done.

Martin.
31/07/2011 23:29:28
Posted by Steve Garnett on 31/07/2011 21:35:06:

Oh, this is absolutely true. I can't speak about ME, but over the last year or so MEW's English has improved considerably. In fairness it wasn't too bad before, but appearances of apostrophes where they shouldn't be (it seems that the distinction between its and it's isn't common knowledge!) used to be almost ubiquitous, and there are very few things indeed in recent issues that would deserve grammatical comment, apart from the odd missing comma...

Commas are useful, and very important in terms of non-confusion. Consider:

The report said Diane Carney was wrong.
The report, said Diane Carney, was wrong.

Obviously being Diane, she'd have been right either way around, but hey, I'm sure you get the point!

Steve.
Whilst I agree with you and others about punctuation etc, the objective is to have one's point understood.
So with that in mind, I'm not at all sure that everyone would understand the subtlety of the second line of your example, in its present form.

I would have been inclined to rearrange the wording to something like:

Diane Carne said "The report was wrong".

Which should help to avoid confusion, but if you were to insist on the current layout, then maybe:

"The report", said Diane Carney, "was wrong".

May help the reader (me, at least) to understand the intention better.

Martin.
Thread: Can Anyone Help Identify This Gear Please
27/07/2011 20:24:22
Phil, have a look at the link to the PDF in the last post of this thread.

Martin.

Beaten to it!!!

Edited By blowlamp on 27/07/2011 20:25:15

Thread: Gib Strip Positioning
27/07/2011 16:30:49
Keep the narrow face of the gib strip clear of the part of the dovetail nearest to it, as there's no meaningful way it can provide any support.

My prefered approach if possible is to use a stout pin in the strip at each end, such that they are tight in the casting but free in the strip.

This locates it nicely and removes the tendency for the gib to wedge on the cone-shaped tip of the adjuster screw when moved.

In addition, I drop an angled pressure-pad (usually 60 deg) down the hole, followed by the adjuster screw which has a spot of thread locking compound on the threads and do away with the locking screws.

Martin.
Thread: Hammerte paint
26/07/2011 17:15:20
The one thing I know about the ordinary Hammerite is that you have to put it on thick and leave it to spread out on its own. Put it on too thin and it looks a mess and tears away as you're brushing .

The smooth might well be the same.

Martin.

Thread: GETTING CNC WORKING
26/07/2011 17:11:14
He says he's in north Lincs.

Martin.
26/07/2011 15:42:59
As just a stab in the dark - is a limit switch triggered by any chance and you are using the correct printer port number within Mach 3?

Mach 3 needs to address the correct port, or nothing will move: Printer port info here: http://www.beyondlogic.org/spp/parallel.htm#4

My parallel port interface board (CNC4PC) needs a separate +5v power supply, which is taken from a spare USB port, or nothing moves.

Pin assignments need to be correct too, so make sure they are properly set as per the manual or whatever came with the machine.

Martin.
Thread: Problem with digital vernier
25/07/2011 14:50:55
Does it zero OK and what does it read at say an inch or two of slips?

Martin.
Thread: Getting your new mill home
20/07/2011 18:23:59
Yeah, a lovely bit of kit.
I witnessed similar scenes last weekend in Beeston.

Martin.
Thread: The perfect ME Lathe
20/07/2011 00:10:52
Billy.
The problem with a CNC lathe is that it's almost too easy to make complex shapes, that would otherwise take forever to do on our size of manual machine.
You could turn out ball-handles and Morse tapers by the million without even breaking into a sweat.

CNC really comes into its own on a milling machine and is perhaps the better parallel to your wife's automated sewing machine.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but here is a couple of videos of me going through the steps in CAD and CAM, of cutting a simple tyre with some writing 'embroidered' onto its sidewall.

Martin.

Thread: Proxxon machine tools
19/07/2011 10:55:40
Could you run to a C3 mini-lathe from somewhere like Arceurotrade or Chester etc?
The advantage is their popularity and range of accessories. Commonly available tooling is a plus point too.

Martin.
Thread: The perfect ME Lathe
18/07/2011 17:07:58
I'm in agreement with many of the suggestion that have already been made, but here's my list of desirables.

Variable speed, with a couple of pulley ratios for extra torque and quiet running. No stripping to replace the belt.
Easy provision for indexing the spindle to enable graduating etc.
Camlock spindle (or even 3 stud fixing if easily accessible), with big bore.

Lever operated (or rack drive) tailstock quill with camlock clamp of tailstock to the bed.

Electronic leadscrew/feedshaft that replaces the gearbox and change wheels, to allow for any thread pitch, plus power cross-feed.

Substantial Inverted (hardened) Vee-bed, designed as far as possible to shrug off swarf from the ways. Plenty of saddle surface area in contact with the bed for low wear.

Tee-slotted (along its length) cross slide with top slide that has a long travel, with nice, meaty gib strips - taper type if possible.

The Sieg C4 seems to be going in the right direction - if only it were a little larger.

Martin.
Thread: I need a mill ? Manual or CNC??
18/07/2011 12:15:15
CamBam is vastly more adaptable than Cut2D for similar money - not as pretty to look at maybe, but capable of doing much, much more.

Martin.
Thread: What happened to the Myford sale thread?
16/07/2011 19:34:46
Yes David. It's just another case of the productive working man being dragged down by the multitude of officials, pen-pushers and all the other 'qualified-up-to-their-eyeballs', hangers on.

Martin.
Thread: Bevel Gear
11/07/2011 09:52:27
If it's an indexing turret, why does it need to be geared?

Most skilled people I know would shy away from making a bevel gear, so it's manufacture should not to be undertaken in too casual a manner

Can you tell us a bit more about your device to give our collective brain something to ponder over?

Martin.
Thread: I need a mill ? Manual or CNC??
10/07/2011 00:06:55
You had better start learning CAD/CAM then Edmund

Martin.

Thread: No 4407 More Errors
10/07/2011 00:01:50
As a little test, I've roughly scaled the drawing to the 50mm reference line and overlayed a few arcs and lines with their actual dimensions and some are pretty far out, as can be seen in the picture.

The large arc is ok, but the smaller one is not so good when compared to the theoretically correct one I've put in.
The 21mm measurement is miles out, as is the 39mm one.

I know we don't scale from the drawing, but it should bear a closer resemblance to reality than this one appears to.

Martin.
09/07/2011 15:39:28
I get that angle at 77 degrees by tracing over it.

Martin.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest